1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drew Morgan thread.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jun 7, 2017.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    There have been several news pieces with the OC talking about using Grant as an outside receiver more often, which is why I think he's nearly a lock. Grant has the one thing you can't teach though- Olympic-like speed and agility in a teeny, tiny frame. They know that if they can get him the ball in space, he's in the end zone from anywhere on the field.

So while he may be a gimmick in some regards, I think it's a gimmick that will be locked in for at least another season or two. That instant homerun potential is just too alluring to let go.

Tin Indian likes this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Some people debate Carroo, but I know firsthand that they team is in love with this guy. He plays a lot like Landry with a chip on his shoulder and fighting for every inch, plus he has some speed on top of that. His big problem (besides a few small injuries) was that he struggled to learn the playbook last season and they couldn't throw him in there for full series. That's probably the only reason he didn't pass Parker on the depth chart (like we did with Foster over Ajayi). He was in the conversation for that WR1 slot though short-term.

Of all our receivers, the team is expecting the biggest jump in productivity from Carroo this year. I mean, they think Parker will break out as well BUT they already know that they have a 10 year stud there. Carroo is less certain in that regard but the coaches love everything about him- the work ethic, the routes, the intensity, etc. There's no way Morgan takes his spot.

Unless someone gets hurt, Landry, Stills, Parker, Carroo and Grant are definitely our top five. That leaves Morgan with a very small window for the #6 slot UNLESS he's kept for special teams as a utility player.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    drew can play all special team units so keeping 6 receivers make sense...I believe they will do it..especially after preseason.

Gase acknowledged him today citing how'' he knows how to play' and ''drew has put himself on the map''

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Bpk likes this.
  4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/drew-morgan-5-things-know-nfl-draft-prospect

He's an intangibles guy. How does sports science measure heart?

ckparrothead likes this.
  5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Couple of thoughts about Drew Morgan:

1. I was warned hours before it came out via twitter that Miami were getting Drew Morgan and that I "will like him". Did some study on him right away. Guy was right. I like him.

2. Everyone sees different things but I take a few issues with the Chris Hogan comparisons. For starters, Hogan had virtually no receiver experience (was a college lacrosse player), so he had zero mastery of the nuances of being a wide receiver. What Hogan had going for him was he was a full 6'1" & 221 lbs, ran a 4.50, 36.5" vert, 10'6" broad jump, 4.15 shuttle, 6.75 cone, with 28 bench reps. Physical phenom. Some were even considering him for a fullback position. The Patriots throw the football to him deep a lot. Does any of this sound like a slow-footed 6'0" & 190 lbs kid with great hands who makes his living off mastering the nuances of the position from the slot?

3. For what its worth the guy I'm reminded of more is Greg Camarillo.

4. Something to pay attention to is his usage on special teams. If he starts having the look of a five-tool special teams type, punch his ticket for the roster this year. When I watched him at Arkansas one of the things that stood out was how the Razorbacks liked to pull him to the inside and give him real legit blocking duties that resemble those of a tight end. They put him in some real tough spots that way and he did well with it because he's physical (not very big though). So when I see him serving as a personal protector on punts, etc...those are the things I remember. I also imagine that he will feel "reliable" on punt and kick returns, at least as far as securing the catch goes. That will appeal to coaches not necessarily because they plan on giving him those duties, but in an emergency situation, and/or should Jakeem Grant (the home run hitter) just not pan out.

5. He's not "deceptively fast". He's deceptively slow. When you watch him, you're more likely to overestimate his true athleticism than you are to underestimate it. A deceptively fast dude is one of those long-striders who doesn't look all that fast until you notice everyone around him are having a tough time keeping up. A deceptively slow guy is one you watch play football and think man that guy is quick, or man that guy is fast, but then you notice other players are having no problems keeping up with him or closing space on him. He's a short-strider and he seems (to me) to have 4.6 speed (which may be giving him too much credit).

6. At his size and with his overall speed level, he's going to have a tough time. He'll have to hook into the right situation with the right quarterback and the right opportunities. He's got a coach that made optimal use of Wes Welker, and his QB has experience making use of guys like Ryan Swope, Davone Bess, and Jarvis Landry, so the ingredients are there.

cuchulainn and Bpk like this.
  6. Rickysabeast

Rickysabeast Royale With Cheese

Jul 26, 2016
    Hoping for the best. Not going to get too excited until TC though.