1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drew Rosenhaus predicts LB Matt Roth will beat out Jason Taylor

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...icts-lb-matt-roth-will-beat-out-jason-taylor/

Agent Drew Rosenhaus is biased when he says he expects client Matt Roth to open the season as the starting outside linebacker on the strong side, where he lined up a season ago for an 11-win team.
    But while Roth recovers from a groin injury, Jason Taylor has played there at a high level, including a pair of sacks and a QB hurry during Saturday’s scrimmage.

Speaking during his weekly segment on Ch. 7 in Miami’s Sports Xtra, Rosenhaus said Taylor’s play is expected. ” I’m not surprised Jason Taylor’s been exceptional,” Rosenhaus said. “That’s who Jason Taylor is.”

PhinsRock, Bpk, greyeagl53 and 2 others like this.
  2. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I think we start Roth in running situations and have Taylor in on Passing situations. Really I don't think it will matter who starts because they both will be seeing the field a lot.

EDIT: I bet my Dad like $5.00 that Jason Taylor wouldn't start the opening game for us, thinking Roth would be starting. I don't know how my Dad always wins bet but he does... Last Year I bet him $20.00 that the Miami Dolphins would be less than .500

3. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Could you bet your Dad that we don't win the superbowl then :lol:.

I hope Roth is starting though opening day. JT on the strong side full time is going to wear him down by the end of the season. I would rather have Roth in there for the majority of the snaps and bring in JT here and there. I know JT is playing well, I just don't think it's something he could sustain over 16 games and I'd rather them not find if he could.

steveincolorado and Bpk like this.
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Of course he thinks that.
    I want to see what Tony Sparano thinks about it. And we will, week 1.

5. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Drew should stop worrying about who is going to be the starter and start encouraging his client to return to work. It's hard to win a starting role when you're on the sideline.

6. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    You figure, as an agent, you'd want your guy out there to prove what he has. Personally, I think we're going to see a healthy mix of both of them regardless of who starts.

7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Of course Drew is going to back his player. That's fine and normally would be a "No kidding" moment on his part, but Roth isn't exactly an all pro at the position. JT is.... Roth is capable, but JT has proven more. So if Roth doesn't get healthy (or whatever) he could find himself sitting behind JT very easily...I don't think the staff wants JT starting. I think they want packages where JT, Wake and Porter are all in there with Roth on the sidelines or at DE but they can't work that stuff out with Roth still nursing injuries from last year...so Matty...get it in gear...your starting job IS depending on it...

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I dont think the wearing out thing holds a ton of weight. All being a starter means is he is the guy at a position in the base 3-4. He could still have roughly the same amount of snaps, they would just come in different places. I think the big thing unmetioned is Taylor's potential in coverage. The guy has come up huge in limited opportunities, often in situations he wasnt really designed to cover on, but instead broke off and made the read on bootleg containment, etc.

djphinfan likes this.
  9. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Who cares what Drew thinks?
    I think what's so great about this team and the players, is that the guys here seem willing to accept their roles. If they start, great, if not, they are willing to work their *** off to earn it.

10. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    of course he said that, its his client. i just want the best guy to start and right now i think its JT. Roth will still see some good playing time if hes in good form.

11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Drew? :wink2:

12. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    hehe...that's even if he remembers what he says from day to day :up:

13. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    none of it matters until Roth can get back on the field ....

14. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Next question? :up:

steveincolorado likes this.
  15. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

JT will not give us as much production and impact at Strongside as roving around. Pasqualoni, Porter and Taylor have mentioned they are working on packages to allow that, and the three have twice been spotted huddling together during proactices, doing their own thing, while other LBs were doing drills etc.

JT will have a specialized role, and will see snaps. His talents extend far beyond stacking the POA, unlike Roth's limited athletic abiltiies, so Jason will see more verastile usage.

16. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    What is he gonna say? My client will lose out on the starting spot?

17. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Matt Roth has to get into to TC first. I want Jason Taylor to beat Matt Roth out.

djphinfan likes this.
  18. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I understand how we all want Jayson and what not...
    ..but lets not forget. Roth was the best Edge setting LB last year. Im pretty sure he is a bit better than JT at it, also.