1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durability made Armstrong special

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/07/18/durability-made-armstrong-special

“It was very short and sweet,” recalled Armstrong. “He told me that there was a flight leaving Birmingham in an hour and a half for Chicago. He then said ‘Do you have a suit and tie?’ and I said ‘yes sir’ and he said, ‘Well, you better wear it.’ ”

Of the 28 players selected in the first round of that draft, no one played more NFL games than Armstrong, not even Deion Sanders who turned 38 the month prior to his final year in Baltimore. “I was not aware of that,” said Armstrong. “I was not as talented as many of those guys, so determination and longevity were my biggest gifts athletically.”

Like Deion, Armstrong managed to sustain his career much longer than his peers; his best season, in fact, came in 2000 when, at the age of 35, he recorded 16½ sacks for Miami to earn his only trip to the Pro Bowl. Armstrong’s 106 career sacks rank 18th all-time and are more than twice that of what either Grossman (43½) or New York’s pick, Jeff Lageman (47½), produced.

2. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Always liked Armstrong. He's 5 days older than me too.

:up:

3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Trace hitting flutie in the earhole is one of my all time favorite hits in pro ball.

Shoes, gafinfan and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  4. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Since I moved here in 2001, never got to see him play, wish I had.

5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Amen brother :up:

What Trace Armstrong lacked in physical talent, he more than made up for with pure determination and an incredible head on his shoulders.

The fact he was overlooked for player rep is nothing short of a sham, and a true shame.

6. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Trace Armstrong was a heck of a player and he was a team first guy. Too bad we didn't have him for more years than we did. I always enjoyed watching him play.