1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dwayne Bowe and the Chiefs agree to 5-year deal

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by invid, Mar 4, 2013.

1. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...yne-bowe-kansas-city-chiefs-agree-to-contract

ToddPhin likes this.
  2. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    :sad:

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Lot of implications for this one.

1. Greg Jennings and Mike Wallace see the $11 million per year number and adjust accordingly
    2. Wes Welker MAY also adjust but I think he's too far into negotiations w/ NE to switch gears
    3. Brandon Albert now gets the franchise tag. Jake Long is now the undisputed best tackle on the market
    4. The Chiefs have scratched Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson off their board at #1, IMO

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Very happy he is gone. Did not want. He's basically Diet Brandon Marshall.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    So talented but not enough work ethic.

6. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    The first one hurts, the second one is interesting. Who goes first overall now? Sharrif Floyd? Milliner?

7. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I didnt want him either... but you'd be foolish to be happy that he is off the market.

The more options available... the more leverage we have in contract negotiations with whatever WR we do want...

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Very true.

I just meant more that I'm glad he's not an option....plus i wanted to call him Diet Brandon Marshall.

9. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Where do the Chiefs go at 1 now? Weird draft

10. Phinfanjt

Phinfanjt New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    I'm wondering if they go defense now...i'm guessing Floyd

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The best player on John Dorsey's board. He's played this one to where he's in position to do that.

I'm not going to say he played it "well" because I'm not sure I agree with the Alex Smith trade. But he's played it to where he's going to be able to take the guy he thinks is the best player in college football, whoever that may be. I think he's scratched OT off the board, but not because he has Branden Albert back. I think he's got Branden Albert back BECAUSE he's scratched OT off the board. The horse draws the cart, not the other way around.

Mile High Fin, Starry31 and Bpk like this.
  12. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Also, what if they do sign Sean Smith, liked Davis tweeted.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If I know John Dorsey, and I'll admit I don't know him all that well...I'm going to say he's got high marks on Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei.

Best guess: Sharrif Floyd.

Mile High Fin, Bpk and ssmiami like this.
  14. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Man... it would be hard for the Cheifs fans to swallow yet another top 5 pick towards the DL, especially since they've had such poor luck at that.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Tough to handle or not, I think it's the most likely outcome.

I'd rather correct past mistakes than pretend they didn't happen.

16. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Not only that but barring a trade down who else fits a need that is even a top 10 prospect?

It's a good draft too have multiple early picks, so unless KC finds a sucker they will be stuck selecting in that unattractive #1 slot.

17. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Depends, if the cart is heavy and they're going up hill, it could very easily end being the cart leading the horse.

Or maybe it's because I see things a.ss backwards sometimes. :shifty:

18. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you. Different regimes too than the other ones picked. Was just commenting if that were to in fact be the pick...

19. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    What if they kick Albert inside at guard?

20. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    There is a common mistake; to take what was done in the past and believe that it absolutely affects future decisions. For the most part that is not the best way to do business. The previous assets have already been allocated, you can't have them back. You need to make the decision that best fits your future, not what best fits the allocation of previous assets as if they are all binding. Obviously there is a point to that approach, as with everything, but I you get what I'm saying.

If thats the best fit, so be it. Past mistakes are in the past, continuing to pay for them by refusing to broach the position is only a continuation of previous failures.

It closely mirrors the situation with Jake Long, if we take Lane Johnson at 12. Taking Long in 2008 should not affect our ability to do what is best right now. Johnson for instance is a cheaper allocation of resources for the same position. Continuing to pay Jake 11 million is only compounding a previous mistake, as his play no longer warrants it. If his play were elite, he'd never have gotten to this point, and we'd have likely made a more palatable deal earlier. Thereby minimizing a previous mistake, if you even call it one given the high level of play. As such, it hasn't worked out that way.

The best thing is to move on and be done with it.

ToddPhin and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  21. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Taking off my Aqua and Orange glasses, and I see the Chiefs being in a better situation to win next year than Miami.

NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
  22. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    hmm if they get good qb play they can be a wildcard for sure but they seem to always have there star players injured

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    They have somewhat of a shot of trading down. If you think about it, a pretty big chasm has opened up in value between the top three offensive tackles and the rest of the class. Lane Johnson is recently rumored for Philadelphia. The Jaguars could always plump for a tackle as Eugene Monroe isn't exactly All Pro. The Raiders seem like they should be happy with Jared Veldheer but he's not exactly a premium name so you never know. The Lions obviously need a tackle badly. The Cardinals could use one.

Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson are commonly regarded as amongst the safest picks in this Draft, as they should be. Heck they might be three of the five or six best players in this Draft. So, if you're a team that is scared sh-tless of making a pick in the top 7 and coming away with a dud, which could lose you your job...and you could justify taking an offensive tackle...you're going to steer toward the best player available.

So anyway with tackle no longer a need I think the Chiefs could very well find that they have offers from teams outside that top 5, looking to trade up and make sure they get an offensive tackle. How desperate does San Diego at #11 overall have to be to get a tackle? I'd say pretty desperate. All it would take is maybe them falling in love with one of the three more than the other two and then they become prime trade up candidates.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Doubt you franchise a guy and pay him like $9.8 million in order to play guard.

Mile High Fin, GMJohnson and Bpk like this.
  25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Their talent on defense is pretty good if the players can come back from injury.

They have a runningback who is right now breaking a record that people thought would never be broken.

I didn't think they would have had such a bad record in 2012.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  26. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    They have a nice Wr core aswell, Jon Baldwin IMO is going to benefit from Andy Reid the most.

All that team needs is a TE and some health and they are a playoff contender IMO.

Also, wait until Charles runs against basic sets....that guy has 1700 yard season written all over him in 13.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Their tight end is pretty good.

28. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    That really is going to depend on Tannehill IMO. However, regardless I think it is far too early to make that call. FA and the draft have yet to come and we have tons of resources to spend.

I personally am not that high on the Chiefs, mainly b/c I think it was crazy to give what they gave for Alex Smith. This years pick alone, the first pick in the 2nd round, is insane for a mediocre stopgap QB.

29. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    He's not bad, but far from an upper echelon guy.

30. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but...you can argue they are collectively better at every position than Miami other than DE.

31. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    This is thephins.com in a nutshell

Everyone (no one here, of course) loved Dwayne Bowe.

Now that he has signed, he has a poor work ethic and is a questionable receiver.

32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Have you read this board?

Anonymous likes this.
  33. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    It could possibly be argued, b/c as of right now, our team isn't filled with All Pros... but I would disagree with that list if assembled.

34. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    with all due respect… there were a lot of guys here that didnt like Bowe before he resigned. the guy is a whiney a-hole… IMO

Anonymous and Fin-Omenal like this.
  35. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

Link with stats, I beg you.

pocoloco and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I like Dwayne Bowe a lot. I think this stuff about him needing to be thrown the football a billion times in order to be valuable is horse sh-t, truthfully. I don't even mind him getting into fights with coach Haley, who is a known combative a-hole. Even Anquan Boldin got into visible spats with him on the sidelines, during playoff performances. Didn't stop Boldin from being a big time contributor to the Ravens' Super Bowl win.

But I don't like the consistent reports of poor work ethic about Dwayne Bowe. He gets his big contract and then what? That scares me. I just don't know how much I can trust those reports.

Bpk likes this.
  37. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This is really pretty ****ty news, I think. If that's setting the market, I'm not sure I want the Dolphins in the market for a FA wide receiver.

38. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009

Haven't had a chance to call you "Diet unluckyluciano"

39. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    What is the "market" set at? I didn't see any numbers for Bowe, just the 5 years. Mind posting them?

40. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    5 years, $50M; $24M guaranteed

FinNasty likes this.