Dwight Stephenson Very Impressed With Pouncey's Progress

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MrClean, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

This is very good.

But if it's increasingly a passing league, and CB is getting less important, then pass rush players must be extremely important, right?

rafael likes this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not so much Bro, Cb is still a core position, once again what we see in the NFL was happening in the CFL yrs ago and even up there they highly value cover corners.

3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Absolutely. The CBs have gotten less important b/c the teams so often have multiple WRs in play. Who cares if you have a shut down CB who takes out one guy if the opponent can just go to one of four other targets. Also the rules (at least the way they're interpreted) make it very difficult for any CB to be a shut down guy. Arguably, Revis is the only CB in the league that is a shut down CB. You don't build your team around the hope that you'll find a once in a decade player. It is much easier to find pass rushers that shorten the time your good CBs have to cover.

ToddPhin and Fin D like this.
  4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What happens then is you have depth at Cb, perhaps the "shut down" cb is now obsolete (as our "elite left tackles")

However rather than putting all of your effort in that one Cb, you need a overall deeper unit instead of "2 good Cb and the rest are not that good".

Defense will be eaten alive that way.

5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I didn't understand then, and I certainly don't understand now how taking a Center that high is the least bit controversial. It's draft trivia, it's not really an important bit of information in the context of the pick.

It's somewhat high for a Center(but hardly a huge leap of what had happened recently), and it's not that remarkable for a Guard, and what the hell is the difference there?

That's not to mention that Mike Pouncey looks very clearly like the BPA at #15 in retrospect.

ToddPhin and Fin D like this.
  6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Not if you have a good pass rush. And it's not 2 good CBs, it's four decent to good CBs. That's basically what the Giants did in their SB wins and what Pitt and Baltimore does ever year. That's how the best and most consistent defenses are built.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    There we can agree, you need a deep, good, unit instead of the Hayes/Haynes style, league throws the ball to often now so your #3 and #4 Cb's have to be better then just some guy out on the field.

I also think the premium on coverage skill is misplaced, tackling is as important as pure coverage ability, the NFL has not learned this yet imo.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I thought that was obvious in my position since I specified that teams were using multiple WR sets and you had match up with many WRs instead of having a shut down guy that would take out just their best WR.

I would prioritize tackling and ball skills in my secondary. I want my pass rushers to create opportunities and my secondary to have the skills to capitalize on those opportunities. I also want them to tackle well and minimize gains since reality is that offenses will complete passes.

PhinsRDbest, ToddPhin and Fin D like this.
  9. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    One played 114 games(8 seasons) and one played 245 games (17 seasons) both at elite levels
    Websters longevity is what stands him apart but it had a huge factor in killing him

10. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    What does Langer say? He knows a little about playing center.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would rather have Stephenson than Webster.

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Dwight Stephenson Very Impressed With Pouncey's Progress, and it is as it should be...
    look for the offensive line to gel in mid-season & blossom by the end of the year.
    just need some time & competent coaching to excel, with each game they improve

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Stephenson at his peak was better than any other center ever at their peak. The fact that his career was shortened by a cheap shot caused injury does not take away from his performance while he did play.