1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eagles employee fired for comments on his Facebook page about the organization.

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by charlestonphan, Mar 9, 2009.

1. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3965039

not sure how i feel about this... guy should have had some idea this could happen, but at the same time, his comments were pretty tame by today's (low) standards.

he didn't call out anybody personally, and i could do without the derogatory reference to the handicapped, but i am not sure if the "crime" justified firing him.

maybe they will start revoking season tickets for fans who boo the Iggles, also? :tongue2:

also, i wonder if they would hold a player to the same standard if they made this comment in the media?

2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    He'll hire a lawyer, cite the constitution, the bill of rights, and free speech, and get a settlement out of court. It's the American way. :)

Trust me, I know how litigious America is, I sell exclusively to the US for my Canadian company.

3. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I understand the freedom of speech thing, but the guy is a dumbazz for talking crap about his employeer. Piss on him, he should go work for McDonalds.

4. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    He would have done better to just write an anonymous letter to the editorial dept of his local newspaper if he needed to vent. Then he could :tantrum: all he wanted.

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    When are people going to learn that when you post something on the internet somewhere... PEOPLE ARE GOING TO READ IT!!!

Never write something in a public forum that you wouldn't want traced back to you... its that simple.

6. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Kind of dumb to make something like this public about your employer. The Eagles are a bit heavy handed here but most employers would fire you for bad mouthing them publicly like that. If a employee of mine bad mouthed me or the company I'd fire them.

steveincolorado likes this.
  7. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Let this be a lesson to you, ThePHINS.com staff.

:nono:

dolphindebby likes this.
  8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO the Eagles were out of line. Not legally out of line mind you. I'm not familiar with PA law specifically, but in most places an employer can fire for almost any non-discriminatory reason.

I think they are out of line b/c he criticized a player personnel move and he's not involved in anything related to that. He was basically acting as a fan. IMO, unless he was a problem employee, it should have been no more than a warning.

phinfanuk likes this.
  9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Not all states are like that.

In Delaware they can, but I think in Pennsylvania (I lived on the line separating the two (basically) growing up) they have the right to work.

10. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I know any organization I have worked for has a clause about any behavior detrimental to the company(badmouthing in a public forum included) being a reason for immediate termination.

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Nevada is a right to work state but the employment is still "at will" meaning termination is permissible for any non-discriminatory reason. "Right to work" generally refers to the ability to work without being required to join a union and pay dues.

12. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    Well then they might as well turn 75% of their fan base away at the gate since they felt the same way.

13. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Man It his Facebook page......didn't know the Eagles had facebook police