1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eany Meany Miney RB: which one are our future?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ToddsPhins, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Here's a fun new topic: Con gave me this idea when he recently mentioned Cedric Peerman (not directly so don't go tooten your own horn too much, Con... hahaha)

We've all :deadhorse: when it comes to trying to analyze our future OLB's. LOL. So how about shifiting some of our beer-battered brain cells towards our "future smash mouth offense" and the backs who should be carrying the pig skin.

IMO it all starts with re-signing Ronnie Brown. He is the epitome of character/teammate that a franchise MUST keep around at all costs if nothing more than serving as a blueprint or reminder to the FO of the kind of players they need to keep bringing in.... as well as Ronnie's ability to be a leader by example, as charisma and positive attitude are contagious. Brown is a loyalist, so if we treat him with proper respect this year... he won't bolt in FA to the highest bigger. ;)

That said.... who are the other pieces to the puzzle to complement our offensive style?

DJphinfan reminded me of the bruiser who can help wear down the defenses.
    Enter FB Quinn Johnson from LSU. Like DJ said "He'll do all kinds of fun things for you." LOL. Every smash mouth running team needs a smash mouth running back,and Quinn seems like he could be that guy who gets us the tough yards.... and then some considering his versatilty. Plus we can draft him in later rounds. IMO he's an ideal complement to Ricky in the power aspect.

For the final piece we move on to the explosive game breaker who, when he's on the field, you don't want to risk running to the bathroom for fear that you might miss something incredible!!
    Unfortunately we'll have to wait for him next year. LOL. :cry:
    His name is CJ Spiller. I'm a Clemson fan (not partial or skewed opinion of players though) and IMO, he is a more explosive and exciting back than a certain someone from USC who sounds like Smellie Tush.... only CJ plays with more passion, heart, and desire than anyone in the county which is what will make him great at the next level. His attitude/character/etc is equal to Ronnie's and they would make great teammates!!

Spiller can throw the ball and can make over the shoulder wheel route's look routine.... in the flats he's a mismatch for anyone put on him, and the defense better hope the 2nd tackler is close behind or else he's history, too.

Spiller's an ACC track star who runs a 4.3 with THE quickest 2 steps in college. His vision/insitincts/balance are equal to Barry Sanders. He can start and stop on a dime like Warrick Dunn... and reaches top gear from a dead stop like Napolean Kaufman! Despite being only 195 now, he consistently punishes tacklers across the field and especially going out of bounds ala Walter Payton....and fights for the tough yard every time as his legs never stop churning. He plays with more fire than anyone on the field... and it IS contagious!!

CJ wants the ball when the game is on the line and makes big time plays in big time situations.... and he immediately becomes one of, if not THE, top KR/PR in the NFL the second he is signed. He is a Freddie Kruger nightmare for all DCs! Clemson had the worst OLine in college football last year and he still somehow found a way to tear up the competition. I can't imagine his play when he has holes to run through, as no LB will tackle him one on one when CJ's coming at him when a blink of space is involved. Our future offense screams CJ, and he would rock the AFC East in it.

There's one occasion that I'd like to point out to all you Gurus that defines CJ: the game he sat out due to an ankle sprain, he was the most emotional/ animated person in a stadium packed full of 80,000 die hard Tiger fans!!! He was the first player onto the field to pump up his teammates after a big play, and he was on the sideline acting as a coach/encourager during bad drives and opposing scores... and he did this the entire game.
    (Now... switch to Percy Harvin when he sat out the SEC title game- when Tebow took UF in for either the tie or go ahead TD, Percy's arms were crossed. He almost seemed emotionless and barely cracked a smile... while half the stadium was going crazy!!! This is the stuff I look for when I'm watching a game. LOL.)

I went into detail... b/c if you haven't had the priveledge to watch CJ play a few games yet, he's worth every scent of a sports package if only for watching Spiller. Here's a few highlight for those who havent seen it: 1st one is 08 year and the 2nd is Fresh and Soph. LOL. Enjoy... and vote for Spiller!!! :up:

Summary.
    1. Ronnie Brown- Every down back.
    2. CJ Spiller- COP Back/Wildcat/extra receiver/sky is the limit how you use him.
    3. Quinn Johnson- FB Bruiser who can do it all.
    There you have it: a perfectly balanced backfield for our pleasure!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky0ah9IRzCE"]YouTube - Spiller for Heisman 09[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQfITF1oPQ"]YouTube - Clemson's Cj Spiller[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7S8wN_tL5Y"]YouTube - Barry Sanders' Heisman Season Highlights[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL9Y7x8VLAs"]YouTube - Walter Payton Highlight Reel[/ame]

SICK, djphinfan and MrClean like this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    if he is that good, how is Miami going to get him?

Stitches likes this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    TP...you're mancrush on CJ Spiller has unbalanced you Sir!

miamiron likes this.
  4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Sorry, but I'm still going with Cedric Peerman. :lol:

Or a guy that seems to be in a witness protection program as far as being mentioned as a quality running back; Glenn Coffee.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me to see us take an interest in Coffee. I can't remember if we have spoken to him or not. Might be a guy to look out for on draft day. We will take a running back in this draft, you can bank on it.

And no, don't make me break out that "Parcells Drafting History" thread to prove my point. :lol:

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The thing about Coffey Conu is that the only real opening at Rb is at Fullback, and can Coffey lead block and pick up those short yards and catch the ball in a pinch?

Unless someone just falls in our lap, Ricky and Ronnie aren't going anywhere, the roster slot that is up for grabs is Fullback.

6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I know!! I needed a new one to distract me from the disappointment of Barwin being gone by #25. :cry: LOL.

I did make one error though... There is ONE guy who plays with as much passion, fire, and sense of team as Spiller. He's Tim Tebow. :wink2:

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think Tyrell Sutton and Aaron Brown are candidates. I also like Javarris Williams, although he's a bit on the small side and has had a work load at Tennessee State. He's quick, patient with holes from what I've seen and shows a bit of power despite his smaller size.

Sutton battled an injury this past season but he's a dynamic back who I like.

Aaron Brown is a lot like Ronnie Brown in my opinion, minus the bulk. He's a threat out of the backfield, lining up wide and in the slot. He's got soft hands, is able to work the sidelines with his feet and catches the ball away from his body from what I've seen. Almost like a natural pass catcher. He's a very good athlete, a nice cutback runner who can make defenders miss or run through arm tackles because of his lower body strength. He's probably a late round prospect because he's got durability questions and if his frame is big enough to carry the load. He's 6'0", 200 I believe and is a dangerous player in space and when he has his shoulders squared. One thing that he has to work on his blocking. He's lead blocked some at TCU and he's awful at it and then in pass protection, he's not a contributor from what I've seen.

Andre Brown is a candidate, though you would think with the injury concerns he has we would stay away from him but they've brought in injury-plagued players already. He makes a lot of sense though, big bruiser whose tough to bring down and a load when he has his shoulders squared.

Cedric Peerman as already noted by a couple people is candidate. I like him too, though his small hands are a concern because that will lead to fumbles. He's a nice back with a blend of quickness and power. He's got good hands out of the backfield to boot but he's got injury issues as well.

Those are some of the second day guys I like.

First day, Glenn Coffee should be considered. He's a nice runner, hits the whole hard and is tough. I think he's pretty good out of the backfield too.

As talked about, James Davis is a one cut-and-go running back. Productive at Clemson but him being one-dimensional drops his stock. Not a threat out of the backfield, not going to turn the corner and be a burner but gets the job done.

Sceeto and ToddsPhins like this.
  8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Patrick Cobbs is kind of the guy with the longest amount of years left on his contract at this point. It's hard to take him out of the picture, especially given how well he played.

ToddsPhins and Bpk like this.
  9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I like Coffee... He's a punishing runner who would fit in well here.

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Being an ACC guy, I really like Brown and Peerman. Extremely underrated. Davis has this conception about him not being good out of the backfield... but that's not really the case. A lot of people forget that he never had the chance to catch the ball b/c he had the best "out of the backfield runner" in the country in CJ Spiller playing that role. :wink2:
    If anyone watches the first video, you can see what I mean. LOL.
    Sorry, Didn't mean to debunk you Alen... I always respect what you have to say!

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No worries, Todd. I respect your thoughts as well. The issue with Davis is just that, he's not had much time pass catching out of the backfield and that's why its a question. Also, the fact that he's not going to be a guy whose too dangerous in space - in terms of making multiple players miss or leaving them behind - makes you question that aspect of his game. Like I said before though, I like him a lot simply because he gets the job done.

12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    That's a quality point. You're right in that regard! He won't make a ton of people miss in the open, but if he's on a DB you can kiss the DB's chances goodbye. LOL. He won't light it up or break as many long runs, but he would consistently move the chains.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    B/C he's a running back who will play the best in a 2 back system so he should be a mid 1st round pick. :wink2:

14. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I see now why you have a man crush on him. I would love to welcome Mr. Lightning to Miami!!

ToddsPhins likes this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    PS: Thanks Con, ya bum! See of I ever reference you in a thread again! :D
    Posted via Mobile Device

16. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    While i don't disagree about the potential to draft a RB, i can't see it happening on day 1.

I absolutely believe that RB will be a priority next year - and will be dealt with then.

Bpk and ToddsPhins like this.
  17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If Miami's entire draft next year consisted of just Mount Cody and Spiller, I would me a very happy man! Impact players, baby! Impact players! :D

18. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I haven't seen hips like that since LT's first few years. His ability to laterally elude with a shift of the hips is amazing. That play where the tackler has him dead to rights as he takes the handoff in the backfield, and he totally disappears on the guy is just incredible. Of course, where LT sulked when he was injured in a big playoff game, this kid sounds like a true team guy.

He has Ginn's stride, still but fights for every single inch once contact arrives.

And a running back who *high points* the ball out in pass patterns? Body control, turning in the air. How have I not heard of this kid before?

With a running style like that, though, I could see nagging groin injuries coming up over an NFL career. Always cutting latterally in traffic with foot plants, always spread legs. Also, guys like this tend not get tackled with good, clean wrap ups to the torso... they get their legs, ankles, feet yanked by flailing defenders as they almost escape them. That, again, is a recipe for groin and hip strains.

Also, it being a highlight package, it lacks proper footage to eval the kid so I have two questions:

1) Can he pick up the blitz?
    2) What are the flaws in the kid's game?

Lets see how his next season goes.

The other issue is, his big play skills will mean he'll go high in the draft. Well, this team runs a power running scheme, so if we had this guy it'd only be to complement our power back who could lower his shoulder between the tackles consistently. That said, you don;t take a 2nd RB with a high pick, usually. So, if this kid goes first round, I don;t see Parcells et al taking him and making him our franchise back. He doesn;t fit our power running approach quite well enough. Damned shame, because he is deadly. Like a bigger, better Warrick Dunn.

You know, if only he occasionally lower a shoulder in the middle and crushed a guy, he'd be the ultimate back for us. Counter argument is, why lower your shoulder when you can go right around a guy?

Answer to that.... well, doesn;t work very well in critical 3rd and inches or goalline situations.

He would be KILLER in an offense that feature a lot of lateral flow on the offensive line on running plays. Houston. Denver.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  19. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I like Kory Sheets.

20. Bpk

Surprised Rashad Jennings gets no love. In a power running scheme like ours, I'd be ecstatic to see him in the rotation here.

A year from now, with a great run blocking O-line, we needn't pay a fortune to keep Ronnie Brown, and we wouldn;t have to run the Wildcat very much. What we'd need is a much cheaper quality power back. That, to me, is Jennings.

Of course, there are some questions about the quality of competition he's faced.

ToddsPhins and alen1 like this.
  21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I enjoyed that TP, much respect.

That boy broke 32 ankles in those clips, lol, Love the way spiller runs, keeps his eyes pad level, very little head movement, beautiful stride, great finisher, plays tall. lets his lower body do all the work, and can line up outside as a receiver and bring the same skills to that position....electric player.

Iam in the group who does'nt want to spend a pick on a running back this year, so i can wait til next.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :dunno:

Groin/hip strain is a possibility... but he seems to be made of rubber. LOL. Nothing seems to phase this kid. Like Barry Sanders in that regard. Plus he's an All-American on Clemson's track team- 4x100m and 60m (2nd best time in the nation 6.58). Also ran a 10.29 100.... so I'm not sure if all the track practice/stretching/endurance etc aids in preventing injuries vs a player with no track background??????

Great questions, Bpk. ;)
    1. He's always been used as a receiver out of the backfield in passing downs for obvious reasons, so he was not really asked to block. That said, I can promise that any coach who asks him to block is going to get 100% effort and is in for a big smile. His instincts, awareness, and vision are phenominal so I don't see him having a difficult time picking up a blitz.

As far as intelligence/capacity for doing so, he's an Academic All-ACC. He's actually the ONLY RB I've ever seen in college to call a timeout b/c he didn't like what he saw from the defense. That blew me away!!! He'll probably be 200lbs next year, but he plays 215. His hips/waist are small so his size is a little deceptive. He has awesome balance/body strength and his quads/thighs are like tree trunks (his leg drive is insane when he's wrapped up), so I could really see him giving blitzing LB's a hard time.

He definitely is the type of player who won't shy away from contact.... and will be as competitive in blocking a LB as he is returning an 80 yard punt. You look at his punt return against Nebraska... that determination to will him to the next level....He plays like that on every down... and I have no idea how!! LOL. You know how most great players can will themselves to the next level when it's needed? Well that's how CJ plays every down. So when he takes it to the next level.... for him it's like the next-next level. No Joke.

2. Honestly... I know it's hard to believe, but I have not seen a flaw in his game... or at least one that can't be corrected by coaching at the next level (lack of being asked to block). The kid works so damn hard to improve every aspect of his game that I'd need a fine tooth comb to find something wrong. He doesn't have butter fingers, and lacks a history of injury. I've seen him take a few hits that would have almost certainly broken bones, tore ligaments etc on other players. His work ethic, sense of team, character, determination, passion etc are truly equal to Tim Tebow's. I'm telling ya, this kid is special!! He literally is in the league of the Payton, LT, and Sanders. His drive/determination as a player reminds me so much of Walter. Even his 5 yard runs are a thing of beauty! The highlight reels don't show any of his tough short runs b/c you'd have a 30 minute clip, but he fights for every inch on every run... and when he's piled up and the whistle blows, there are 4-5 guys still trying to bring him down but his balance and leg strength won't let them. After 3 years, he still does something to amaze me every game!!

If I didn't see him play every snap for the past 3 years, I'd absolutely agree with you (I'd be upset if we took a guy like Chris Johnson or Felix Jones in the 1st.... even McFadden). On the flip side, the power running game should be able to wear down the defense and open up the big play for a guy like CJ, who runs closer to a 4.2 than 4.3. Or vice versa- he can break a few big plays (returns, screens, passes in the flats, etc), and Ronnie can come in to pound it out when everyone is tired and winded. Pick your poison. A TD still counts 6 no matter how you score it right? LOL.

B/C of the extra dimensions he brings, I'd still use our 1st pick on him. I've seen him carry the Tigers on his shoulders and swing the game's momentum all too many times. IMO, CJ doesn't have to be the load carrier to get your money's worth. After all, this is the role he's had at Clemson the past 3 years with James Davis, and he's quite effective in it. If you can find ways to get the ball in his hands.... especially when a Defense is worn down, he's worth a 1st round pick to us all day long. He'll put Chris Johnson to shame, and that's no offense to Johnson.

The Giants used Brandon Jacobs to wear teams down for Ward and Bradshaw (and might be looking at Donald Brown/Moreno in the 1st to replace Ward), and the Cowboys want to do it with Barber and Jones (1st round), Atlanta with Turner and Norwood, Carolina with Stewart and Williams. Felix is nowhere near the complete footballl player CJ is, and Jones/McFadden had the luxury of running behind a quality line.

As a Freshman when Spiller HAD a line, he had 938 yards, 7.3YPC with 10 rushing TDs. Last year Clemson OLine had to replace four starters from the previous season, and the lone remaining starter went out in game 1....then the unit had injuries to 3 other new starters within the first six games, and at one point started three freshmen while using 7 different offensive line combinations over the first nine games. Despite this all this, he still made major plays as the 1st video I listed shows. :wink2:

Great point.... but in a 2 back system, we'd have the appropriate back for the critical 3rd and inches...When CJ needs to lower his head, he does....and a 250 lb Linebacker won't enjoy it. :no: Dlinemen are a different story though. He won't push the pile on 300 pounders. I will say this: if he has the first down marker in sight, he's like trying to stop a hungry pitbull from getting to juicy steak!! He might not be the guy you use in 3rd and short, but he's the A#1guy you want on 3rd and 4 or greater. You'll watch the 3rd down conversions go up, hence so will your time of possession.

Here's one routine CJ Spiller play to address what I mean:
    To set up the play- It's 4th QTR against Maryland, Clemson down by 3... 3rd and 16.... no where to throw downfield. Looks like the Tigers will have to punt....until....
    Dun da da dah!!! Suuuper Spiller!!!!
    :yes::lol:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NPHQlUkRtI"]YouTube - Clemson's CJ Spiller is a MAN[/ame]

He knows before the snap that if the ball gets in his hands, he needs 16 yards to keep his team alive.... and he gets it. :wink2:

If anyone wants to watch an example of how Spiller comletely takes over a single game (running, catching- screens & on the fly, and returning). Clemson vs Boston College. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRSKdy0M2wg"]YouTube - Clemson vs BC Highlights[/ame]

23. Bpk

Anyways, I'm not too worried about it being a major concern. Just an observation of something that could crop up later. I wouldn't let it dissuade me from taking him in a heartbeat.

Yeah, well, NFL GM's hate trying to project stuff based on very little data, so that could hurt him a little. Lornzo Booker never learned to pick up blitzes, so despite being an electrifying offensive weapon he sits on the bench a lot. I'd say it's a concern until NFL coaches get to run him through their private workouts next offseason. It is something that Spiller, if he is as smart as you say, could be working on by himself right now to begin improving at fundamental pass protection techniques.

Gotta admit, I love his heart. And smart never hurt. I'd like to see him about 10-15 lbs heavier, sure... but no more than that. Being big doesn;t suit his running style anyways, so unless he gets bigger and begins lowering his shoulder more, there is no sense adding more than 10 pounds and losing speed and elusiveness. Don't try to be what you're not.

Of course it's hard to believe. lol. Every player has flaws. I admire the kid's heart and talent, but there are always things he could work on. We have already highlighted pass-protection. He also has a propensity for beating people to the outside for his longest plays. That footspeed, which Ginn lived off of, doesn't get you the sideline nearly as often in the NFL. that's another thing we should all realize about his pro-game transition. That said, he is good at looking to cut back in, or fake back in to hesitate his pursuer.

Fortunately, we live in the age of the two-back system. If Ricky Williams doesn't show enough this year, I doubt we extend him to 2010. That leaves us with free agent Ronnie Brown. He may leave for bigger dollars. No doubt there is room to consider Spiller in 2010.

Say, can Spiller throw? He'd be fantastic in the Wildcat.

Not a bad point. Usually, though, Parcells will not take a RB in the 1st round. I just don't expect it to happen. Know why? We have the highest paid O-line in football. With that comes two things: 1) the expectation that anyone should be able to run through big holes 2)less money to go around. Sure, SPiller can make up for a bad line, like Barry Sanders, but we don;t have a bad line. Also, Sanders and Spiller might be of the same ilk: big play, negative play players. I'd love to compare Sanders' college runs against Spillers. To me YPC is very misleading. To move the chains it's about the style of the running back. Getting 7yards, losing 3, getting 14, losing 2, losing 1, getting one, getting 12 doesn't help anyone. Sparano loves consistency. Can Spiller CONSISTENTLY deliver a 4+ yards on carries with no negative carries? If not, all he'll be good for are highlights, not running a Time of Possession oriented offense like ours.

See above.

Well, and that's where I get a little less comfortable. In a two back system, I like having two complete-backs. I want the defense, when either back is in, to have no idea how it might get run at them. The other school of thought is to have two very different backs, one speedy and elusive, the other big and powerful. To me, that helps a defense know the type of play to expect (if it's an aware, smart defense that sees when the running backs switch out). To get the same benefit with two different backs, you need to have them on the field at the same time to maintain any element of surprise. Not sure I like that.

Anyways, if you are good enough, surporise is less important than O-line execution. I could see Spiller with Rashad Jennings as a good young combination.

Okay, so your colors fly pretty proudly, huh? lol. Glad you're excited! It's an awesome play that would pump me up to no end if he did it for our Dolphins. I wantplayers with this kid's hunger. I really do.

End of the day, he's a very, very good player but, I'll be honest, I am very glad he has another year in college. I want to see...

1) what he does as more defenses come in prepared to stop him, specifically

2) does he get any bigger this year?

3) does he stay injury free?

4) Does he realise this is an NFL transition/audition year and do we see better blocking from him and any demonstration of a little power in goalline or 3rd and short situations (do they even use him for that now?)

Looking forward to tracking this kid. Where Bush was a primadonna, this kid seems like 100% football and fight.

24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Good point... I could see that realistically pushing his draft status back a bit. I have no doubt in my mind he will learn to do it at the next level... but an NFL coach who hasn't seen him play every down might become a little hesitent like you say.

How many of these tremendous talents fall into the trap of not realizing they need to work on these aspects of their play that they won't be using till the next level. Must be a lot more than there should be, no?

That's my philosophy!! Accent and build your strengths!!

I'm praying he gains at least 10... I'd love to see him at 205, but up close he's already thicker than Reggie Bush and built lake a brick $#!t house... and his legs are much more powerful than Chris Johnson's match sticks. :D If he can get his weight up so that the force behind his powerful legs is greater, then he should be able to lower his shoulders with more effectiveness.

IMO, The sad part about today's game is that the defense is getting so big and strong that guys like Walter Payton and Tony Dorsett wouldn't do the things that we were so priveledged to watch them do years ago!!

Great point. I know how a lot of backs will use their speed as a cruch and will look for every reason to break a play outside to beat the D to the corner. CJ is great at this, but on designed runs inside he usually follows the blocking asignment. B/C of the Oline mess last year, he was forced to break more runs outside... despite this, there were actually more occasions when he stayed on course for a 2 yard gain even though there was nowhere to go inside (very frustrating as a fan). Is this good or bad?

If there's a crease inside the tackles, he'll find it much like Dunn... so hopefully a bit more size will help him get through the initial wave of tacklers so that he can use his vision and skills to cut the play left or right and exploit a mismatched safety.... w/o any worries of arm tackles knocking him down.

:yes: He threw a TD last year, too. LOL.

I couldn't disagree with that in the least. That's the only argument that I could make for us drafting another position. My only comeback as a PITA would be: the more holes a great line gives him, the more TD's he will break over an average RB. He's actually the kind of guy you want a great line for. He exploits every little weakness and he's not a dancer in the backfield. "That's where the hole is supposed to be.... that's where I'm going... and when I get there, I'm gone." That's how he runs more often than breaking it outside.

He's not an initial pinball like Barry, so he won't have the all the negative runs.... so he's more like 5.5 YPC guy who will mix up a lot of 8-10 yard runs with 1-3 yard runs and a few 0's, especially if he's stuffed at the line by a DT. IMO he likes to hit his hole first and then do his thing if he's allowed.

BPK, how will his style be affected when going against a 3-4 with one less DT?

I actually agree and disagree with both of these philosophies. yes, when your backs are similar the D doens't know what's coming... but they also don't have to be as prepared for whats coming b/c if both backs are similar, then they already have a general idea of what's coming, which somewhat counters the element of surprise, wouldn't it? LOL. For a power running team, the defense should already know you're coming at them with your hammer when he's in, no?

IMO the argument for 2 different backs could be such: it makes it harder for the defense to prepare for you successfully b/c there are more dimensions thrown into the mix.... so if you're changing backs and the D has an idea of what's coming, they still had less time to prepare for it than if it were a similar RB tandem.

You could also argue that your power running game could be more effective b/c a defense has to spend more time than normal in preparation for a guy like CJ. There are so many ways to use the kid, that a defense could practice till the days end and they still wouldn't know what you're about to do with him. It's also possible to catch a defense in a mismatch or wrong personel and exploit if for a momentum changer.

IMO, in 3rd and 5+ situations, the "similar" backfield will be a liability compared to CJ or such. At this point there is a complete shift in the element of surprise compared to playing a similar back. You could run a spread with Spiller and hand it off, pass it to him in the flats, dump it over the middle, or hit him on a wheel route for 50. Don't get me wrong... I love to ground and pound. I just like to mix in a little explosion with it to get the crowd and team pumped up... get their adrenaline going while dishing out a fatal blow to the Patriots (I mean opponents) morale. :D And at the same time give my hardworking Olinemen a little break from time to time so they have more energy in the 4th QTR to keep doing what they do best.

BPK, I wish we could have an entire team with this kids hunger and half his talent!!! :hi5: The Clemson bench and fans (me included) were completely deflated right before the play! I wish you could've seen that play live and what had led up to it. As soon as CJ touches the ball, you know his will power is going to make something happen.

Great points, especially #4... I'll be closely paying attention to all these as the year progresses :yes: After lighting it up as a Freshman, Every ACC team has been trying trying to stop him for the past 2 years, and it hasn't happened.... so I'm more concerned with 2, 3, 4.

You nailed it right on the head. If CJ improves in your 2,3,& 4... then there is no reason he shouldn't become everything we expected Bush to be coming out of USC. This kid's such a respectful class act.

25. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Let's get LeSean McCoy at 2B. :yes:

:shifty:

26. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    SHHHHH..... just say no to any 1st day RB this year who might take away from drating Super Spiller next year :D

27. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
  28. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I think it is a crime to compare Spiller to the best RB to ever play the game. :tongue2:

29. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :lol::lol:
    just for that I'm adding Sweetness himself to the same post!! :tongue2:

30. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I would piss myself if we drafted CJ.

MrClean and ToddsPhins like this.
  31. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    CJ Spiller is one fast MOFO. he is a phenomenal specimen i would welcome him with open arms to wear aqua and orange!

ToddsPhins likes this.
  32. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Do I see a fellow Tiger fan in the midst???? :hi5:

33. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    That would be a hell yes.
    I still remember my Clemson night light when I was 4 years old.

34. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Ditto to that. I'm 34 now, so I was there during the crappy Ken Hatfield/Tom West era. Remember those days? Up the middle.... up the middle... up the middle... punt!!! :sidelol:

That was when the D was good but the offense sucked balls except for Raymond Priester.

I went to the SC St game last year. Man that place is crazier than it has ever been!!! Brought chills seeing the campus and field for the first time in a while. :wink2:

DaFish likes this.
  35. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I second that!! I would piss on you too if we drafted CJ. :yahoo::chuckle: J/K. LOL.

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    One name that I think will stand out next year if they look at running back in the second round is Georgia Tech's Jonathan Dwyer. Dwyer's not a burner but he's quick and is powerful. He makes a lot of sense next year and is a name that I've been tracking since the beginning of this past season.

37. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I remember those days all to well.

My best memory is the '81 National Championship against Nebraska.

38. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I would completely say your post is insanely bias if i had not seen Spiller play live myself in the Music City bowl against Kentucky a few years back. He was really impressive as an underclassmen. Im not so sure hes the second coming though.

39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Dwyer is an awesome "what you see is what you get" back. Totally agree Alen. He's probably one of these guys who will have an even better Pro career than college. He and CJ would make a great tandem!!

40. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    That game sucked!! LOL. Crappy loss!! At least you were there. Wildcat fan?
    I'm not sure he's the second coming either. If he were playing 20 years ago I would have a hard time saying he isn't... but these defensive monsters of today make it a little difficult!!

The one thing that all 3 have in common is their fire, passion, dedication, and love for the game... their character, attitude, sense of team, and ability to take their game to a level no one else can is all on par..... and they all have disgusting natural talent but still work harder than anyone else to become even better. I guess that's more than 1 thing. LOL.