1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earl Mitchell wants you to know why he wanted to be a dolphin.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jun 18, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80553919/

This is what I like to hear and why I'm excited for the acquisition.

This is also a reason and why I wasn't sad to see the two down Paul Solai depart, it may come back to haunt me but how much worse can it get for cryin out loud, we were horrible against the run and that's his main job..

I'm good with Mitch.

DHPVW, Marco, RGF and 10 others like this.
  2. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Good stuff deej. It's way early and the hitting hasn't started, but it's great to hear that he's showing good burst and speed for a man his size. I think we really need him to develop into a very good DT. I think, more than most, the loss of Solai could possibly hurt. Regardless of scheme, it's always good to have a big, stout guy like that to clog up the middle and to sometimes take on some double teams. It keeps the others fresher for the third down, nickel type packages, etc. I'm not saying that he is necessarily that type of player, but still, you really need to have some depth. Anyway, early, but sounds very good.

djphinfan likes this.
  3. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    You have to believe that if he was solid as a nose that he can handle playing over a guard and like he said have more fun doing it. Looks promising so far and obviously we need to shore up that run D and get them the hell off of the field.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Problem was, we ran lots of stunts last yr and literally opened holes in the defense

It was the same personnel who manned those stout run D's, save for Ellerbe, scheme was different and more concerned with penetration than run stuffing

DPlus47 likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Not gonna lie, my buttcheeks involuntarily flinched at that first part re: the blocking. It's just the bad memories of last season, man.

Almost got the dirty pants.

SICK likes this.
  6. I hope this is not an indication that they haven't resolved the O-Line issues

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Until they put on pads all this means in regards to the oline is that they did not slap and tickle him enough.

shula_guy and SICK like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The article is a metaphor for what I think and want to happen.

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    They don't have pads on.....you can't get a real good grasp of tackling or blocking until then.

shula_guy likes this.
  10. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Damn I knew our run defense was terrible but damn, 1998 yds? Thats horrific.

11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think there were a couple of visible issues with run stunts missing the mark, but overall the run defense was bad on its own merits, mostly due to Wheeler/Ellerbe issues.

Paul Soliai wasn't bad, but he's pretty well settled into being a "pretty good" player at his position career-wise, and I think Randy Starks was better when he lined up at the position than Soliai last year.

12. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    That's my GML free agent steal of the year :)

I think next year GML teams are going to eyeball my first day FA signings to not let me get a Earl Mitchell for $495k ;)

13. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I agree.

I like Mitchell's ability to attack the gaps. I think he may be a little more disruptive behind the LOS due to his quickness. However, the bulk of the run defense issues weren't due to Soliai and I'm not sure Earl Mitchell will be the reason if we improve there. It will be because our defense as team, specifically at the LB position improved.