1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early 53 man roster prediction

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Big Red, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Starting Offense
    QB Chad Henne
    WR Brandon Marshall
    WR Brian Hartline
    RB Ronnie Brown
    FB Lousaka Polite
    TE Anthony Fasano
    LT Jake Long
    LG Richie Incognito
    C Jake Grove
    RG John Jerry
    RT Vernon Carey

Starting Defense
    NT Randy Starks
    DE Kendall Langford
    DE Jared Odrick
    ILB Karlos Dansby
    ILB Channing Crowder
    OLB Koa Misi
    OLB Cameron Wake
    CB Vontae Davis
    CB Sean Smith
    SS Yeremiah Bell
    FS Reshad Jones

Backup Offense
    QB Chad Pennington
    WR Davone Bess (also punt returner)
    WR Greg Camarillo
    RB Ricky Williams
    TE David Martin
    OT Andrew Gardner
    OG Nate Garner
    OG Donald Thomas
    C Joe Berger

Backup Defense
    NT Paul Soliai
    DE Lionel Dotson
    DE Marques Douglas
    ILB Tim Dobbins
    OLB Ikaika Alama-Francis
    OLB Chris McCoy
    CB Nolan Carroll
    CB Jason Allen
    SS Tyrone Culver
    FS Chris Clemons

Special Teams
    P Brandon Fields
    K Dan Carpenter
    LS John Denney

3rd QB - Tyler Thigpen
    3rd RB - Patrick Cobbs (also kick returner)
    3rd TE - Kory Sperry
    5th WR - Patrick Turner
    5th CB - Will Allen

Total: 49

That leaves 4 spots. I'm giving one of them to Lex Hilliard. That leaves 3. Pat White, Tony McDaniel, and Charlie Anderson could be considered the front-runners but it would not surprise me if they did not stick.

Joey Haynos might beat out Sperry or even Martin but I suspect his blocking is not as good and he doesn't play special teams. John Nalbone is a darkhorse. I honestly don't know enough about him.

Andrew Hartline, Lydon Murtha, and Cory Procter all have a chance. Ray Feinga was already cut once. He is not making the 53.

Marlon Moore could beat out Patrick Turner. I wonder if we will see him returning kicks this week. Ryan Grice-Mullen and Julius Pruitt play on special teams so they also have a chance. Roberto Wallace is a longshot but could end up the practice squad.

Montavious Stanley and Charles Grant both have a legitimate shot but with the logjam at DE somebody will have to be cut. I am big fan of Dotson. I believe he will beat out the troubled McDaniel. And Douglas will benefit from being one of Nolan's guys.

Ryan Baker might stick. Travis Ivey will most likely land on the practice squad.

Austin Spitler will join Ivey on the PS unless he makes an impact on special teams. Micah Johnson showed well against Tampa Bay but he is facing long odds. I'm surprised J.D. Folsom hasn't been cut already. Nothing against him. He is just destined to get caught in a numbers crunch.

Erik Walden and Quentin Moses are on the outside looking in.

Tristan Davis and Rolly Lumbala are both longshots.

With his great game against the Bucs, Nate Ness just jumped way out in front of Jonathon Amaya, Ross Weaver, and Kevin Hobbs.

MrClean, finyank13, HULKFish and 2 others like this.
  2. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    McDaniel, Hillard, Moore and Grant

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Mcdaniel is a lock imo.

MrClean, finyank13 and HULKFish like this.
  4. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Jones starting at FS
    That is a reach :up:

gunn34 likes this.
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area

Friend Big Red:
    looks just about on the money to me... wouldn't change a thing, including Jones. Kudos!

Big Red likes this.
  6. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Yeah, agree with the 23rd. Although I would change the 2nd string as I don't see Dotson beating out McDaniel. I'll take Spitler over McCoy too.

Big Red likes this.
  7. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Disagree. Langford and Odrick are a lock. McDaniel has to beat out Douglas, Grant, Stanley, Dotson, and Baker. That is six guys fighting for two or three spots. He may have a year with the Dolphins under his belt but it's a whole new system with Nolan running the defense.

However we do tend to carry five defensive ends which bodes well for McDaniel.

8. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    If Jones is a better more secure tackler then he will beat out Clemons. From a fans' perspective that certainly seems to be the case. Of course I don't get to see everything the coaches see. Like most of us I will be paying close attention to the FS spot over the next two games.

9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Is it really that much of a reach Killa?? I think Clemons wins it, but I dont think it is that much of a reach at all for Jones to take it....especially if Matty Ice lights him up in game 3.....I cant wait for that game guys....Matty, and Roddy I hope they take 6 shots down field, to the sidelines, deep middle, I want to see what Clemons has....

Big Red you say they are rolling with 4 QB's?

10. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    It seems unlikely that we would keep four quarterbacks but it is not out of the question. You've got eight inactive players every week. Last year Gardner, Murtha, Dotson, Moses, and Turner were fixtures and rarely dressed. Why not stash a fourth QB on the inactive list instead of Murtha or Moses?

11. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Most spots i think are pretty obvious ...

Starting Offense
    QB Chad Henne
    WR Brandon Marshall
    WR Brian Hartline
    RB Ronnie Brown
    FB Lousaka Polite
    TE Anthony Fasano
    LT Jake Long
    LG Richie Incognito
    C Jake Grove
    RG John Jerry
    RT Vernon Carey

Starting Defense
    NT Randy Starks
    DE Kendall Langford
    DE Jared Odrick
    ILB Karlos Dansby
    ILB Channing Crowder
    OLB Koa Misi
    OLB Cameron Wake
    CB Vontae Davis
    CB Sean Smith
    SS Yeremiah Bell
    FS Chris Clemons

Backup Offense
    QB Tyler Thigpen
    WR Greg Camarillo
    RB Ricky Williams
    TE David Martin
    OT Andrew Gardner
    OG Nate Garner
    OG Donald Thomas
    C Joe Berger

Backup Defense
    NT Paul Soliai
    DE Lionel Dotson
    DE Marques Douglas
    ILB Tim Dobbins
    OLB Ikaika Alama-Francis
    OLB Chris McCoy
    CB Nolan Carroll
    CB Nate Ness
    SS Tyrone Culver
    FS Reshad Jones

Special Teams
    P Brandon Fields
    K Dan Carpenter
    LS John Denney

3rd QB - Chad Pennington
    3rd RB - Patrick Cobbs (also kick returner)
    3rd TE - Joey Haynos
    5th WR - Patrick Turner
    5th CB - Will Allen
    STer - Jason Allen
    STer - Austin Spitler

Players in bold are fighting for a job ....

TE is pretty competitive ... and i'm looking for Nalbone to show some progress and stick

G is a logjam ... and i'd like to see Thomas, but Procter will push along with Hartline and Murtha (especially if Murtha can become someone like Garner)

CB will be interesting ... Allen has 'experience', but will have to rely on more than STs to get it done. Carroll shows much promise and Ness is a decent player as well.

LB ... i don't see how Anderson doesn't make the team ... he's not great - but he would be dependable at WOLB. I think McCoy is a long shot to make the team -- PS is likely; Johnson is interesting -- but odds are very steep

DB ... i see Amaya and maybe Weaver on the PS .... Carroll looks to good to take a chance at putting him there.

DL ... i see Ivey on the PS, albeit - that is a risk ... only 1 of Grant, Dotson, or Stanley can make it ... I'm also starting to think we may pick up another 'wide body' to help out at NT.

WR ... i think the only WR that can knock CAM out is RGM ... i'd expect Moore and Wallace to be on the PS ... and Pruitt and Turner to fight for #5. I just don't see us have Hartline, Bess, CAM and RGM all similar all on the same team.

Big Red likes this.
  12. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    McDaniel, Grant and Anderson make the team.

HULKFish likes this.
  13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    based on this man's youth {25}, size, and talent, he's a lock imo, imo, if the guy doesn't make the team, somebody has got a screw loose...This man is coming on strong, pretty damn explosive for a man 6'7, and if you ask me, having a man that size, with that kind of balance, leverage, the angle for which he leans into the center is downright disruptive for not only that center, but the QB itself..

This guy makes play's when he's on the field...alway's..He needs to be on this team or we need to trade him to the highest bidder if were not gonna use him, he's too good to not play.

MrClean likes this.
  14. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I see the numbers by position like this

3 QB

5 RB/FB

5 WR

3 TE

9 OL

8 DL

8 LB

9 DB

3 ST

I think that adds up to 53. Other than the obvious names, about 40-42 or so, it's too soon to predict all the others who will be the backups, IMO.

15. MrClean

DJ is right IMO. There is room on the roster for McDaniel, Douglas and Grant. He is already ahead of Dotson, Baker and especially Stanley.

djphinfan and Big Red like this.
  16. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    McDaniel had 16 tackles and 1.5 sacks last year. He had zero tackles and zero anything else against Tampa Bay on Saturday. I am not convinced he is the playmaker you make him out to be.

padre31 likes this.
  17. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very possible. As long as the three of them don't take their roster spots for granted and work their tails off because I don't believe any of them are guaranteed.

18. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Agreed. The only starting jobs with question marks are the two Guard spots and free safety. The backup positions have a lot more question marks.

19. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Wow, I thought McDaniel and the second unit played better than the first unit, he was very active.

20. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Camarillo is not fighting for a job. If he is injured he will be put on the PUP or IR.

David Martin was right back in the mix on Saturday. Bodes well for him. They put him out there ahead of Haynos, Sperry, and Nalbone. We won't really know how he did until next week's game. If he is back out there in the 1st quarter then his spot is looking more and more secure.

Donald Thomas could possibly win one of those starting Guard spots. Depends on how severe Jerry's injury is and whether or not the coaching staff has confidence in Incognito. I'm gonna go out on a limb right now and predict that we pick up an offensive linemen off another team after the cutdown to 53.

Chris McCoy and Lionel Dotson are both developmental players. Dotson's development should be complete and McCoy's should just be starting. History tells us that McCoy will be a permanent fixture on the 8 man inactive list just like Dotson. Every year we hear talk about developing players. We need to start doing this. Drafting guys in the 6th or 7th round and then cutting them a couple years later is not developing players.

The signing of David Martin does not bode well for Joey Haynos. He is not a great blocker and he doesn't play special teams. If Haynos isn't catching passes as your second tight end then he is pretty much useless. Also I'm partial to Sperry over Nalbone.

Patrick Turner is definitely fighting for a job. He needs three more games like the one against the Bucs.

IMO Jason Allen is not fighting for a job. He can line up anywhere on the field, he is experienced, and he plays special teams. What more do you want from a fourth or fifth cornerback? His biggest competition is one-game wonder Nate Ness.

Austin Spitler has practice squad written all over him. However he could stick if he makes an impact on special teams. That means blocking as well as tackling.

Ikaika Alama-Francis' contract extension does not bode well for Charlie Anderson or Quentin Moses. One of them is a goner. Misi and Wake are your starters. Alama-Francis is one backup. McCoy is your developmental player. That only leaves one spot if we carry five outside linebackers. Plus special teams standout Erik Walden is fighting for a roster spot.

Micah Johnson is an inside linebacker. With Crowder and Dobbins on the mend he will probably end up on the practice squad.

Carroll should stick as a backup for Will Allen in the nickel and as a special teamer.

RGM needs more opportunities in the return game if he hopes to stick. Marlon Moore is a lock for the PS unless he beats out Turner. Which he might. Pruitt has a good shot as a special teamer but would they really cut a 3rd round pick (Turner in his second year) for an undrafted free agent who plays special teams?

21. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    McDaniel is very active but he is like Crowder in that he does not make many impact plays. I was disappointed in him last year against Jacksonville. Thought he would go off against his former team. He didn't.

22. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Agreed on the developmental piece ... however, each year you pick up new players -- Spitler vs Folsom is an example, and sometimes the 'new' guy shows more potential than the old guy.

to me Carroll vs Smith is another example of this. the good news is CB looks like it is definately going to be a strength on this team for the forseeable future ! Smith is a steady freddy - but doesn't have 'star' potential. Both Davis and Carroll seem to have 'it'.

Another is Ike vs McCoy vs Moses ... though not sure i consider Moses still a developmental player ... Moses is as sure as gone.

the other good side to developmental players is that you usually haven't spent a large amount -- either in $$$ or time, so that if you find a better option ... then it isn't necessarily a big issue. the difference with Turner was where we drafted him.

Real developmental players that we have drafted: Nalbone, Hartlline (Andrew), Dotson, Baker, Folsom, Gardner, Murtha, Clemons, Ness, Johnson, Pruitt -- of these only Gardner and Clemons are likely in a 'secure' position .... I still like Nalbone, Murtha and Ness.

This year we have added: Johnson, Spitler, McCoy, Ivey, Wallace, Moore, Weaver, and Amaya. of these .... i only see Spitler, McCoy and Ivey as having realistic chances at a roster spot and the rest on the PS.

Not all of these guys will end up actual contributors in a PHIN uniform.

The challenge is that this regime does plan on winning this year ... and we know their penchant for experienced players ... so what does that mean for Dotson, Baker, Grant, Stanley (2) ... same for Anderson, McCoy, Moses, Ike (2) .... same for Ness, Carroll, Allen J (2 initial then 1 when Allen W comes back) ... same for Martin, Haynos, Sperry, Nalbone (2) ...

my thought is Grant +1, Anderson and Ike, Carroll +1, Martin +1 ...

Big Red likes this.
  23. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I think Ronnie Brown definitely makes the team.

24. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    IMO I would rather see our starting NT be Paul Soliai and think Chris Clemons will win the FS spot.

And I don't think we have seen all our final 4 on the team yet. I think we pick up one or two people who will be cut.

25. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    :lol:

26. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The ones in bold are my only quibbles or underrated players.

-Jake Grove-not healthy..again..imho he is on the roster bubble
    -Chris McCoy-has not shown enough to beat out Charlie Anderson. CA plays both OLB spots, some ILB and DE and ST.
    -David Martin-if healthy he would not surprise me if he started.
    -Kory Sperry-Haynos has too much value as a blocker and Red Zone target.
    -Lionel Dotson-he is not a better player than Mcdaniel (who they tried to sign to an extension) and Ryan Baker has shown more in one yr than Dotson has in the last two.

I also suspect Nolan Carrol will be "the Returner" and barring something completely unforseen, Pat Turner makes the team because of it.

"If" Carroll is not a Returner, then Turner is in jeopardy as someone could surprise this Saturday and they will have to make room for them somewhere.

Big Red likes this.
  27. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    We didn't draft Baker, Murtha, Ness, Johnson, or Pruitt. Murtha was drafted by the Lions in the 7th round and the others were undrafted free agents.

The reason I point that out is because draft picks are a valuable commodity. If our GM is going to use a pick on a developmental player then I would like to see that pay off down the road. In 2008 we drafted Shawn Murphy, Jalen Parmele, Donald Thomas, Lex Hilliard, and Lionel Dotson in the later rounds.

1. Murphy didn't pan out. That's fine. Nobody is perfect.

2. Parmele was poached off our practice squad. It happens.

3. Thomas had a major setback with an injury his rookie year but I love the way we kept developing him. Kudos to the front office and the coaching staff.

4. Same goes for Hilliard.

5. I'm rooting for Dotson because I thought he was very good coming out of college. If he realizes his potential that speaks volumes about this regime.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As for the final 4 slots:

Lydon Murtha
    Andrew Hartline (though he does have practice squad eiligibility)
    Charles Grant
    RGM...depending, he would have to make it as a kick returner and ST player, so far only Wallace, Moore, and Pruitt have worked as Wr/Gunners.

29. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great post. :up:

You are probably right. I am giving Grove the benefit of the doubt until our first game against the Bills. If he doesn't start that game then he is in trouble and not likely to be on the team in 2011. You need your Center to be reliable not injury-prone. If Grove was a future Hall-of-Famer he might get some leeway but the knock against him has always been the injury bug.

Absolutely. I totally agree that McCoy has not shown enough to beat out Anderson. However I believe his roster spot is secure because we drafted him based on his potential. It doesn't make sense to draft a developmental player and then cut him. Because of a numbers crunch Anderson's status becomes less certain.

However I strongly believe we will carry five outside linebackers and Anderson could be that fifth guy. He will need to beat out Quentin Moses and Erik Walden. In a head-scratcher move (for me) Moses was offered a $1 million tender this offseason so that means Anderson is not guaranteed to beat him out. And Walden is a standout on special teams which gives him extra value and makes him no push-over.

I don't see Martin starting over Fasano. I would expect them to compliment each like they did in 2008. That being said you never know.

Really? I was always under the impression that Haynos was not a very good blocker. And David Martin would take his place as a Red Zone target.

You may be right. If Dotson cannot beat out McDaniel then he is probably a goner. I remember Lionel Dotson was a beast at Arizona. McDaniel has had off-the-field issues and the Jaguars were not stacked at defensive tackle when they traded him away for a 7th round pick. Don't be surprised is all I'm saying.

Of course I could be totally wrong. :lol:

I hope you are right. Based on snap count the nickelback is the perfect return man in my opinion.

Good point. The fifth wideout is usually an impact player on special teams.

30. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am going to wait until after the Jacksonville game before I make a prediction on those final four spots.

31. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    I agree on developing players .... but not all players develop... a good example of that will be Nalbone -- the regime invested a lot in him ... so there is an expected return (but if we keep Martin, which is likely given where we want to be this year - it will be a tough call) ... Sperry is too small for what we are looking for - albeit, he showed some pass catching ability last year ... assuming Martin stays ... Nalbone needs to unseat Haynos (who is just a blocker).

same can be said for A. Hartline ... we have invested much time and effort in him as well. But throw in Jerry, development of Thomas and now a few veterans - and where does that leave him ...

Murtha we protected last year, once we grabbed hold of him .... same with Gardner -- and we didn't bring in any veterans at T .... so i see them both hanging around.

McCoy will be tough ... we drafted him, but Ike changes the formula a bit ... so a tough call has to be made ... maybe he can prove his worth on STs and unseat someone like Spitler -- who would be more likely to survive on the PS (like Folsom did last year). I just don't see us not keeping Anderson UNLESS we go out and bring in another veteran at OLB.

for Dotson, i look at it as ... both he and Baker progressed so well that we drafted Odrick and brought in 2 veterans .... unless either really shines -- Grant, Douglas will both stick ... with Stanley as an insurance policy against Soliai right now. Also, what do you do with Ivey ..... it is a risk putting him on the PS, since that position is in such high demand.

Big Red likes this.
  32. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fasano has secured his spot as our starting tight end. Incognito and Jerry seem to be holding onto their spots at OG. Grove is in danger of losing his spot to Berger. Methinks we will be drafting a Center early in the draft next year. :lol:

Clemons held onto the starting job against Jacksonville. Played better too. Looks like Jones will have to wait a while before he starts.

Davis is a stud deserving of his 1st round status. Smith looks vulnerable at times but I love his cockiness and short memory. He may get burned every once in a while but he is a big play waiting to happen.

I believe Crowder will start Week 1 against Buffalo. Sparano just wanted to see how Dobbins would do against the 1s.

Starks looks good at the nose. Wake is very disruptive. Odrick and Misi look like the real deal.

Oops. Looks like Cammy won't be our #4 wideout. Not a fan of the trade for Benny Sapp. The Vikings got the better player. We filled a need.

Dotson didn't do much to impress against Jacksonville. Charles Grant could get the nod over him and McDaniel. McCoy may end up on the practice squad after all. Jason Allen could end up being cut once Will Allen is 100% healthy. Unless we manage to trade one of them.

Oops. I guess Sperry isn't gonna stick after all. :lol: Nalbone vs Haynos for that 3rd TE spot. I give Nalbone the edge because of special teams.

With Cammy gone, Patrick Turner becomes our 4th wideout by default. He gets one more year to make good on his draft status. I like Marlon Moore a lot but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the PS for a year and replaces Turner in 2011. Because of his special teams play Julius Pruitt will probably be our 5th wideout.

Once Will Allen is healthy Nolan Carroll will be our 5th CB. As well as our kickoff return man.

Erik Walden got a shout-out from Sparano. He might stick.

Nate Ness didn't do much against Jacksonville, but he didn't look bad either.

33. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You cut him. :lol:

34. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    My revised prediction after the Jacksonville game:

Starting Offense
    QB Chad Henne
    WR Brandon Marshall
    WR Brian Hartline
    RB Ronnie Brown
    FB Lousaka Polite
    TE Anthony Fasano
    LT Jake Long
    LG Richie Incognito
    C Jake Grove
    RG John Jerry
    RT Vernon Carey

Starting Defense
    NT Randy Starks
    DE Kendall Langford
    DE Jared Odrick
    ILB Karlos Dansby
    ILB Channing Crowder
    OLB Koa Misi
    OLB Cameron Wake
    CB Vontae Davis
    CB Sean Smith
    SS Yeremiah Bell
    FS Chris Clemons

Backup Offense
    QB Chad Pennington
    WR Patrick Turner
    RB Ricky Williams
    TE David Martin
    OT Andrew Gardner
    OG Nate Garner
    OG Donald Thomas
    C Joe Berger

Backup Defense
    NT Paul Soliai
    DE Marques Douglas
    DE Charles Grant
    ILB Tim Dobbins
    OLB Ikaika Alama-Francis
    OLB Charlie Anderson
    CB Will Allen
    CB Benny Sapp
    SS Tyrone Culver
    FS Reshad Jones

Special Teams
    P Brandon Fields
    K Dan Carpenter
    LS John Denney

3rd QB - Tyler Thigpen
    3rd RB - Patrick Cobbs
    3rd TE - John Nalbone
    5th WR - Julius Pruitt
    5th CB - Nolan Carroll (also kick returner)

Total: 49

That leaves 4 spots.

1. RB Lex Hilliard
    2. OLB Erik Walden
    3. DE Ryan Baker
    4. OL Andrew Hartline, Lydon Murtha, or Cory Procter (a cop-out I know)

Cut: Pat White, Jason Allen, Lionel Dotson, Tony McDaniel, Montavious Stanley, Quentin Moses, Joey Haynos, Ray Feinga, J.D. Folsom, Rolly Lumbala, Kevin Hobbs

Practice Squad: Marlon Moore, Austin Spitler, Micah Johnson, Jonathon Amaya, Ross Weaver, Nate Ness (if he is eligible)

35. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Having doubts about Ike making the final cut. Not sure why, just got a gut feeling.

36. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I dont think mcdaniel gets cut but we shall see

37. MrClean

What has Nalbone done to make you think he will be the 3rd TE over Haynos? Haynos is at least a good blocker.
    I see us keeping 7-8 DL and McDaniel making the team for sure.
    Also Jason Allen is likely our best all around incumbent ST player. He is making it too IMO.

I don't agree with the idea of keeping Turner over any of Moore, Pruitt, or Wallace. It says a lot, in not a good way, that Turner in his 2nd camp coming out of basically a semi pro top tier college program is not separating himself from a PS guy from a school with less than 1,500 enrollment and 2 UDFAs who really did not play that much in college.

HULKFish, NJFINSFAN1 and padre31 like this.
  38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Spot on about Pat Turner not doing anything, or less than anything, that the UDFA Wr crew is doing, add in he offers no Special Teams value and by rights, Pat Turner should be in the lobster pot.

Weird isn't it speaking positively of Jason Allen? It has taken him two years but he finally has a proficiency on Special Teams and in fact, is sort of a leader on the ST unit.

That's right..Jason Allen and Leader in the same sentence, legitimately.

There was a time when Stephen Hawking would have blown by him..

39. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does Haynos play special teams? The third TE is all about special teams. If he does then I stand corrected. I will pay close attention in Week 3 to see who lines up on special teams. Haynos or Nalbone. That will tell us who is going to stick.

I think Ryan Baker is gonna surprise you. I was a big Lionel Dotson fan because he was a stud in college but Baker is the better player right now. Better than McDaniel too. At least in the games. Obviously I haven't seen them in practice.

People always talk about what a great special teams player Jason Allen has become. However a big part of special teams is blocking and JA is not our best blocker. Sure he can cover kicks but so can Benny Sapp, Tyrone Culver, Reshad Jones, Tim Dobbins, John Denney, Patrick Cobbs, Julius Pruitt, Lex Hilliard, and Erik Walden.

We now have 6 cornerbacks (not counting Hobbs, Weaver, and Ness) and teams usually only carry 5. Davis and Smith are the starters. Nolan Carroll is a draft pick they are very high on. They just traded for Benny Sapp. I would bet anything that those four will stick.

Do you believe we will keep Jason Allen over Will Allen?

I hear ya. However prior to the Camarillo trade Turner was not safe but he is now. I believe Pruitt will stick because of special teams play which is bad news for Jason Allen. Moore and Wallace will go on the practice squad. I don't see anybody poaching them. Undrafted free agents rarely get poached. Late round draft picks are the ones who are usually in the most danger.

40. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Moore has made this team.