1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early thoughts until I re-watch the game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    - Very nice game by Tannehill. I have noticed time and time again that he takes it in the chin and makes throws. This is wonderful to see this because it is going to happen. He never really did that last year. Completions and not interceptions from these plays show moxie. I also see some throws from different angles....and completing them. Very nice to see. Looks like there is more zip on his passes as well. Could be from learning how to throw the ball with better mechanics.
    - Man, just when you needed a top-ranked defense to show up, they do not. This is a trend. The DEFENSE is not finishing games. This one really hurts. Big time.
    - Tackling is a huge part of this sport. They must've missed that meeting. In defense of the defense, it looked a little slick out there.
    - Can a wideout not named Jarvis Landry (or maybe Mike Wallace) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fight for a flipping ball in the air???
    - Injuries along the O-line. I hope James is okay. I thought they actually played pretty well against a stout D.

Miami is staying in games and actually going on top against some of the best teams in the league. Losing three out of three of these nail-biters just really sucks. They are playing hard. I actually think they are being coached well or else they would not be in these games. It's a bunch of little things. Penalty here. INT there. No pressure when it matters. This team is damned close. I think they are closer than they have been in a long time. Sometimes, the clock just runs out or the ball doesn't fall your way.

This one is tough, though. Granted, Denver was on everyone's radar at the beginning of the year (and probably still are) to compete for the championship. This was not just some team. They were at home, with a rowdy crowd and the elevation (which I think started becoming a 'thing' towards the middle of the fourth). I think the offense finally put up points, but the D, for whatever reason, did not show up. It did look a little slick. The field was also a little slippery.

So, while this puts Miami waaaay back in the playoff hunt, there are five games left and ANYTHING could happen. I have hope. I like the team's core, and I am fine with the coaching staff.

At the beginning of the year, did you peg Miami winning against Denver, Detroit, or Green Bay? Probably not. Quite frankly, Miami is about where I thought they would be. Let's let this thing play out. This team lost a big weapon in Moreno early. They also lost a stud LT. Also lost a starting LB, and some of the other playmakers have been playing hurt or out for other various reasons (see: Reshad Jones and his suspension).

Anyway, if you take a look at where most of us thought Miami would be at this time of year, this is right about where we thought. Five more games. Yes, they may win 10 and not get in, but they are not an easy team to play now. Before, well, it was sort of a crap-shoot. Now, I think they are in the conversation as one of the better teams in the league, regardless of record. They have to learn to win these close ones, though. While I like where the defense is, they just have piss-poor execution at times....at the most inopportune times. They seemed to fall apart little by little when they were not making plays, which seemed to give rise to some bad play and attitude. They did not stick their noses in there for 60 minutes. They sort of gave up by the 4th, and it showed.

I like where they are. It sucks that they lost, but I see an upward swing. I think it will come together. I truly do. The offense finally put up points. The defense did not keep it's collective head above water come the 2nd half. It is a team sport, but there are things that are good. The defense is still good. They were bound to have a tough game. This just happens to be that one. The offense finally scored TDs in the Red Zone. This is good, especially given the propensity for the offense to move the ball nicely until they get there.

So, five more games. Let's see if they can keep it together.....

rafael, resnor, TotoreMexico and 3 others like this.
  2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Thanks for a great write-up Colmax. Mostly agree with you.

Still trying to figure out what happened to the D.

My two cents via iPhone.

Colmax likes this.
  3. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I don't think it puts us "waaaay back" in the playoff hunt at all.. if we still go 4-1 and just lose to the Pats to finish 10-6 we still have a pretty big chance of making the playoffs.. I just hope we are healthy enough to close out the season like this.

4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    We were already a few teams out of the Wild Card (if I am not mistaken) and a loss does not necessarily help. They are certainly still in the mix, but so are a bunch of teams, and a few in front of Miami.

5. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Well said Colmax. This is just not a defensive league. Games are stories, they unfold however they unfold. You need a QB to compete, and we have that, and that is something to be happy about. Detroit and that #1 D got smacked all day today. Our D, suffering 3 CB losses, was just too much to overcome. And Wake was out much of the 4th too.

It is just bad luck, we caught A-Rodg at his best, we caught Manning at his best...and the dam Lions, who are extremely tough at home, we played right into their hands and let that lunk headed hill-billy Stafford do what he does best...sling that sh!t haphazardly with nothing to lose...where he usually wins.

Such an unsettling feeling. Could be 9-2. But we are too injured and too poorly coached to be there. It will be a fight for our lives to make the play-offs. 10-6, 4 out of the next 5, and let's hope we're in. Should be enough.

Colmax likes this.
  6. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Does anyone know the deal there? Is he dealing with a viral or something? I didn't catch if anything was said about that.

7. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    He sucked

8. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    All we need to do is get to 10-6, if that happens, our chances of getting in are good...remember, we hold the tiebreaker over the Chargers, and if we beat the Ravens we'll hold it over them as well.. we have a good conference record right now at 5-3, it'll help us if multiple teams make it to 10-6. It is possible we don't make it with a 10-6 record, but at that point you really can't fault anyone and I'll consider the season a victory either way.

9. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Might as well don't let this defense play next game, our chances of winning could be higher because we may have enough time to score and just hope for a missed extra point from the rival team.

Coyle had 10 days to prepare and comes up with this gameplan (if you can call that a game plan). What pisses me off the most is that the cheatriots and Rams showed him how to beat them and he did the exactly the opposite. Un****ingbelievable!

resnor likes this.
  10. bg34

bg34 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Virginia
    Good write up. Although I think Gibson had a good game for the most part. Had some crucial 3rd down catches. And thank god Lamar Miller was following the play when he got that fumble recovery. That was huge also.

11. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    4-1?? We're 6-5 now. And have you seen our schedule? No way...

12. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

even if we won today..we still had to win our home games. We needed to win all of our he games..and beat the Jets in NYC. That doesnt change. A win would have just given us a bit of cusion..but if you really want to go far in playoffs..you cant loose your home games.

We are playing relevant December football..all we can ask.

13. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I'm tired of being the Bride's Maid. Aren't YOU??

14. Patssuck

Patssuck Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    **** this Marino would be 11-0. **** you Tannehill!!!

15. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    4-1 the rest of the way... we have 5 games left. Yes I did see our schedule, only hard game we have is against the Pats. If our offense plays like it did today and the defense gets healthy and straightens up, we should win all of them, minus the Pats one. Question is, will they fold down the stretch again, like last season?

16. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Well, he certainly didn't make a sack. I just wonder why he was on the sideline for a couple of the late drives.

17. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    get healthy/some? Zero pass rush - zero. One Qb sack and one hit all day. Depth is a obvious issue

Wilson bit on a 8 yrd route when it was 3 and 20.....wtf. To me play of the game. Stop them there and we go into the half at 21-10. Instead we come out 21-17 and they march right down the field to score and are up 24-21. Whole different ballgame at that point

I am impressed at the improvement of the team as a whole and I believe Philbin and Co are getting everything they possibly can out of these guys

It is no coincidence that Tannhill is playing the way he is with Marino in the building. I have particularly noticed his release is light years from what it was. He makes his decision and that's it, the ball is gone and a bullet.......hmmm remind you of someone. Makes offense infinitely better because D has little time to react.

We are definitely on track to get better. We are still in reality 2 or 3 years away