1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easiest Remaining Schedule in the League

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Nov 3, 2008.

1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't have a link, but I was watching Sportscenter and they had a list of the easiest remaining schedules in the league and our remaining schedule came in at the easiest.

I assume they were using this year's wins and losses to determine the remaining strength of schedule.

Now that we're 4-4, if we beat Seattle (2-6), Oakland (2-6), St. Louis (2-6), San Franciso (2-6), and KC (1-7), and lose all the other games, we'll have nine wins going into the final game against the stinkin jets.

Wow. I just re-read that paragraph and I am psyched!

PhinsFanWife, MS4FINS, Ultra and 2 others like this.
  2. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    Its the teams with the least wins that worry me the most. Hopefully we can just play hard every week and stop just beating the toughest teams. All I am thinking about is Seattle Seattle Seattle. Your right though, the schedule could end up laying out very nice for us

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Some people are going to hate me for this but I'm still sticking to my six win projection. This team is playing very well right now and I think that they could end up at 8-8 but we haven't beaten the teams we are suppose to and it wouldn't shock me to see it happen again the rest of the season. I hope it doesn't but I'm sticking to my prediction of six wins. Do I think they will win six games? No. Can they only end up with six? Unfortunately, yes.

FiN.in.RI and anlgp like this.
  4. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    It helps for sure! I just hope we play the rest of the season as well as we have in our four wins! If so, then we'll be able to take advantage of that schedule!

5. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I don't look at schedules. We've had too many losing teams bite us in the ***.

6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

"Easiest" is only determined by a record be it this year or last.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. NO sunday is an easy game. Their records aren't all that great. Ours is even. It's the team that shows up on sunday. Are we going to be the "held them to 14 yards rushing dolphins" or are we going to be the "get run all over dolphins". More than that - which of their teams is going to show up?

I predicted six wins also, and while it looks like we can beat my original prediction we haven't yet. Until we do I'm sticking to it. I hope I'm wrong. I hope we come out and beat the teams we're "supposed to".

I don't think we sweep any of our division opponents and I think we grab a win against the jets.

With that also being said what teams come out in our division? I've seen the bills/pats/jets play some fantastic football but they've looked crummy at times as well.

It really is up in the air.

7. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    In the NFL that is very true. These guys are all professionals. Look at us last year. We put a scare into the opponent in seven other games besides the B-more win. And we were about as bad as it gets.

In college, there are still some gimmies on the schedule. But in the NFL, you truly never know. Even when a team w/ a great record beats a team w/ an awful record, the games are still close a good portion of the time. Look at the Jets over the Chiefs, or Bills over the Raiders for examples!

8. EdSta74

EdSta74 I

Mar 22, 2008
    Long Island City, NY
    I think theres no such thing as an "easy" game in todays NFL. Like the old saying goes. Any given Sunday....
    I'll take it one week at a time.

9. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Playoff Standings

1. Tennessee (8-0)(6-0)
    2. Pittsburgh (5-2)(5-0)
    3. New England (5-3)(3-3) - Holds tie breaker over Buffalo and NY due to head to head
    4. Denver (4-4)(2-4)
    5. Baltimore (5-3)(5-3)
    6. New York (5-3)(4-3) - Holds tie breaker over Buffalo due to head to head

Buffalo (5-3)(3-2)
    Indianapolis (4-4)(3-2) - Holds tie breaker over Miami due to conference record
    Miami (4-4)(4-3)
    San Diego (3-5)(3-3)
    Cleveland (3-5)(2-3)
    Jacksonville (3-5)(3-5)
    Houston (3-5)(2-4)

Red and Green colors indicate head to head status VS Miami.

This list is going to change quite a bit every week. Even the 3-5 teams are only 2 games out of the playoffs right now. It's nice to know we have the easiest remaining schedule.

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Not to be an ********, but are you a player? If not, it doesn't matter how far you look ahead. Just saying. :up:

FiN.in.RI, muscle979 and GARDENHEAD like this.
  11. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thank you!

I'm not playing the games. I don't have to take it "one game at a time". I can look ahead and not suffer any ill results.

I like our playoff chances. A lot. And its fun to have realistic dreams of making the playoffs. Especially after the crap we all went through last year!

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Its no problem looking ahead but sometimes people look ahead and get all excited then if our team crumbles and then we'll see "Fire Sparano!!!" threads all over the place.

13. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    If someone posted a "fire sparano" thread, I wouldn't click on it.

I'm having fun looking ahead. That's why I buy powerball tickets.

14. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I know people say "I think we'll go 8-8, I think we'll go 6-10, etc..." The thing is though, we could go 12-4 or we could go 4-12. It's that simple.

Just because a fan thinks that Miami is going to do well doesn't mean that they'll jinx them. Nor does a fan think that Miami will do mediocre mean that they'll curse them.

Personally looking at our schedule, I don't see why we won't go 8-8 at the very least. We seen this past week that we CAN finish games out. We beat the Broncos, they were about to pull a Houston Texans on us but we learned from our mistake. We had a HUGE 8 minute drive or so that lead to a Ronnie Brown TD. Good teams do that.

That said, we should be able to beat Seattle. I can't guarantee other victories because teams can go from hot to cold or cold to hot in milliseconds. Look at the Rams a few weeks ago... Look at the Bills the past two weeks... Any given Sunday is a cliche quote, but is it ever true...

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah but their would probably be a lot of them.

Hey dude, I don't blame you looking ahead. I'm just saying that some people don't do the same because they don't want to be let down. :up:

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  16. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I think our team does have an easy schedule, and we have found some forms of success week to week, my problem is with this teams consistency, which normally takes a couple years to develop.

Like our running game has been quiet for a couple weeks, our pass rush was not as strong yesterday, but our run stopping was great and our DB's were excellent yesterday. Our special teams is still not playing the way we need it to be. Our passing game has not lost us games.

If were going to win these easy games we need a consistent effort from all areas' because if one aspect or unit fails in any one game it could be the difffernce between a six win season or a ten win season.

As a fan i'm glad we have lots of less prolific teams to play against, but I also know it doesn't guarantee anything. One thing is for certain, at this point in the season, with the teams remaining on the schedule, its not out of the realm of possiblitiy that we make the playoffs, but our discipline and excecution will have to solid for the second half. It not like were in a div. that were chasing Tennessee.

Should be an interesting finish and a hell of a lot more exciting to watch than the past 8 years where normally were talking about the draft around this time.

17. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Some of you should stop fearing disappointment so much. It's just a game, enjoy watching your favorite team play it. What happens, happens.

Brown42000 and GARDENHEAD like this.
  18. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Not getting your hopes up because you don't want to be disappointed is like never taking any risks because something might go wrong... Live a little, bro! :wink2:

Brown42000 and muscle979 like this.
  19. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Let's keep in mind that this is a team learning to win, learning to deal with the ups and downs, learning to play with each other and there roll. Consistency is a key, but this team is making strides! I think we can and will take the division and that is one HECK of a way to start the rebuilding process!

20. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Amen to that.:yes: The very best we can do this year is 12-4 and the worst is 4-12 and somewhere within those numbers is where we will land. The worst is 4 times better than last year and I truly believe that we will win at least 4 more games. If we close out at 8-8 I will be overjoyed, how bout you?

21. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I disagree, there are definitely easy games in the NFL.

The problem is, you can only identify them after actually playing them.

Fin D likes this.
  22. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    On paper it looks really good and if Miami plays it's "A Game" we could run the table and beat every team remaining on the schedule, but you know we always have that game like we did earlier this year against the Texans. We have to make sure we focus on each game and not take anyone too lightly.

23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I really don't think the problem is looking ahead. If we finished 4-12, people will be let down regardless and there'd still be fire sparano. Fans hopes get up by the play on the field and current record.

24. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Absolutely, I thought 7 was a best case scenario at the beginning of the season, now I get to talk about the Dolphins in the playoff race. Even if they fall a little short I'll be happy. I would almost bet the farm that if they're not in the postseason this season they'll be there next.

25. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

So you're saying that we are going to totally founder and only win 2 out of the last 8 games? Not a chance. 8-8 is very realistic. 10-6 is optimistic and very possible. The team IS getting better each week. We have shown no signs of digression.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  26. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think you mean regression? To digress is to deviate or wander. To regress is to move backward.

At any rate I think 8-8 is possible.. I predicted 6-8 wins with six being more likely. Now that we're playing I can see that changing but until it does I'm sticking with six as I said earlier.

edit:

I guess you could say I'm cautiously optimistic. I'd like 8-8 or 10-6 but that's a leap I'm not willing to make. We are a changed team but we're only one offseason out of 1-15. At the point we're at now we've improved very much and I'm content (note: content, not happy) with what we've got. That is to say, yes I'd be disappointed if we lost the rest of our games (prob. not going to happen) but I'd be impressed with the improvements we have made.

27. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    I don;t understand how a 1-15 team from last year has team's on their schedule this early in the year that are labeled "teams we were supposed to beat".

2-6 vs 4-4 isn't that much of a difference.

2-10 vs 9-3, that's different.

28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I've been let down by this team before and its all good. I'm just talking about others possibly looking at it another way.

I don't quite understand where you got I was saying that we would go 2-6 in the second half of the season. All I said was that I'm still sticking to my six win projection because anything is possible including only winning two of eight remaining games. I'm aware of .500 being realistic. I'm also aware of 6-10 being possible as well as 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, 9-7, 10-6, 11-5, and 12-4.

29. LOVE IT!!!!!!!! One word of caution... "Houston"

30. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Houston is clearly better than all of those other teams mentioned. And Miami is jinxed against Houston anyway. I'm not superstitous but I'm starting to believe that.

31. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Yes, I meant regression. Oops.

32. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, those teams have more or less been our Achilles heel...so I don't know if having an easier schedule is better or worse...

Either way, we've found ways to win and must continue to find ways to win...even against these 'weak' teams the article discusses...