1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

East West Shrine Game Report 3 /NFP

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by joeydolfan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/east-west-shrine-game-report-3/

Meredith still keeps popping up in the reports on a daily basis as being one of the best on the field at the East West practices. Boomer and CK has pointed out in the club that Meredith was recruited to the Gamecocks by our new OL coach. Could be a guy to keep your eye on.

From the daily reports Fletcher continues to be the best DB on the field. Nice size for a CB AT 6'2" 200 lbs. Will be interesting to see where he grades out after the game.

Hands down the best player on the field so far, CK confirmed a valid point I brought up in club with us investing 2 picks for a DE last year would we possibly do the same again if a talent fell in our lap? Players at any position will be taken if it us an upgrade to what you have. CK posted some incredible weight room numbers for Gilbert. Wonder if he will have the type of breakout game that Antonio Rogers Cromartie did last year to splash his way onto the scene and vault himself into the 1st round.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    The issue about Jarron is apparently speed. Scoot Wright - FWIW - says he only runs in the 5.2 region.

3. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    B. Fletcher sounds really interesting, but maybe we're a bit scarred from the last DB we took named Fletcher. =D. I hope he's not related. I hope he turns out better than that one did. =D

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Doesn't mean a damn thing to me when I see him close on the ball with as much explosion as he does on a regular basis in his highlights.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK_SxTr4jZs"]YouTube - Jarron Gilbert 2008 Senior highlight tape[/ame]

Does anyone truly and honestly watch that, and then say to themselves...man, it's too bad he only runs a 5.2. If only he were faster...

This is one of those occasions when you have to say, he will never ever have to run 40 yards in one huff, so why the hell are you timing his 40? What I'm looking at is his get-up off the ground, which beats the linemen in front of him, and his acceleration through to the ball once he's cleared the trash...which gets you the sacks and the TFLs. In both of those measures, he's extremely explosive.

gafinfan, cnc66 and joeydolfan like this.
  5. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Thanks for the video CK.

Wow, shoots the gaps incredibly quick, nice point on his acceleration to the ball once he works his way through the trash. Almost a subtle slowdown when he is engaged and then boom, quick twitch kicks in and he is on the ball carrier.

Just in the highlights he never seems to give up on the play. Also took note of the variety of pass rush moves he used in the clip. Swim, spin, rip, he uses a nice variety.

cnc66 and padre31 like this.
  6. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Just passin' it along partner. I don't see a guy that runs a 5.2 either.

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes he uses his hands very nicely, and you're right he displays a nice variety of moves which means he may even be setting up his opponents for moves down the line. I like his standing acceleration, I like his acceleration from a down stance. I like his ability to move laterally and beat a lineman with speed that way (good on stunts), I like his strength, his suddenness to the ball (which has a lot to do with his standing acceleration). He's got great size and incredible wing span, big hands which is probably part of why he uses them so well. He makes a lot of plays against both the run and the pass. He looks like a load to handle, strength-wise, even though he's only 280 to 287 pounds in those videos.

joeydolfan likes this.
  8. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

Naw, but I say, man, it's too bad I haven't seen a singly SJSU game and only got a highlight reel to form an opinion. I'm not a huge fan of timed 40 speed either but I'd really like to watch some "lowlight" plays as well ... he certainly looks explosive in this clip (or while jumping out of the pool, for that matter), but ... no criticism intended ... but man I'd really like to see a full game.

joeydolfan likes this.
  9. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Will be interesting what round he is graded out on once the bowls and combine are over. I know some would be disappointed if we chose another DE type since it is one of the deepest positions on our team right now, but I agree with the point you made yesterday. Talent is talent, and thats what the head office should be looking for at any position.

With that wingspan and his height it makes it easier for him to bat down passes which in the clip shows him doing it several times. Overall his awareness of where the ball is and making a play whether he is on on the tackle or not is a big plus.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    What impresses me is the number of plays included on those junior and senior highlight films. He made a large impact in all of those plays...and to be honest, the volume itself is impressive. A bunch of these college DLs, you maybe see them make an impact twice a game. I think every single play spliced into those highlights were plays where he helped defeat the play and that's pretty significant to me.

Here's what Todd Brunner, San Francisco 49ers area scout, recently said about him...

I hear the highlight/lowlight argument, especially about certain positions, but what I'm looking for in these kinds of tapes is for the guy to have shown physical ability, and strong technique, on a multitude of plays. Consistency is something that ALL of these guys have to work on. But not every guy shows the ability to jump the ball like that, even half a dozen times a year.

cnc66 and joeydolfan like this.
  11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I get excited when I see any talented player that I really like drafted. I got excited when we drafted Phil Merling, Kendall Langford and Donald Thomas. But this kid...if I'm being honest...I'd have had him higher than Langford and Merling, coming out of the same draft.

cnc66 and joeydolfan like this.
  12. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    I was not even going to go there, but thanks for the input. Here I am wondering if he would be rated higher than Langford and Merling in the same draft class and thats tough for me to question since I really felt like Merling and Langford were steals for us last year.

Fact is I have been higher on Langford and still am, would really like to see a nice jump in his rush skills in year 2.

13. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

That's true. Thanks, by the way, for the quote. As I said, I don't mean to contradict your evaluation of him because from what I've seen and heard, it's perfectly accurate, but I'm pretty big on consistency (especially with linemen) and since you've talked about 1st round potential in related threads, I'd really love to see a full game or two to come to any sort of conclusion. I was rather impressed not only by his explosiveness but also by how easily he sheds blockers (there's a couple of plays in there that almost look like a 5 year old is trying to block a monstertruck) which again I'd like to see him do on a consistent basis. It might be a personal preference but I take consistency over sheer athletic talent every day when talking about a defensive lineman.

14. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    The exact opposite of Fili Maola whom some were projecting as a 1st to early 2nd round pick. I cant see the love for his game, once an OL gets his hands on him he is done, looks like he has no shed block skills at all.

15. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I can help with that if you give me some time. I can provide more than just a highlight. I can provide a full game.

cnc66 likes this.
  16. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

That would be awesome, Con. I really appreciate it.

17. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Morning Jochem! Not much I can add here except maybe thanks Chris, I really enjoyed watching that. That kid worked the stunts beautifully, exploded through the seams, and slapped guys out of the way at will.. fun to watch.

18. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    NP. I just need a little more time. Give me a week, maybe two and I should have it on DIVX.

Just remind me though. :up:

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm looking forward to seeing Gilbert's splits b/c I agree he doesn't look like a 5.2 player.