1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eggnog on the menu this Sunday ?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Dec 20, 2012.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    In keeping with the holiday spirit I have slightly modified Michael Egnew s name .
    By default it looks like he will finally be on the active roster this Sunday .

I say by default because both Bess and Hartline are nicked up and we are lacking bodies .
    We will probably see more of two TE sets .

Kyle Miller on the roster as well so he's a possbility, but he arrived in Miami only three weeks ago.

What is your guess .Does Egnew play or sit on the bench?

2. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    He won't play

3. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Lol if Kyle Miller is activated before him. That would be hilarious.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Eggnog...lol

5. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    To be fair to Egnew, Robert Meachem was a first round draft pick of the Saints, who was inactive his entire rookie season, and not due to injury. He wound up being a very good player for the Saints. Now he kinda sucks without Drew Brees throwing the ball, but you get my point.

I'm super-down on Egnew, but I still have hope he'll be a contributor (unlike Charles Clay or D. Thomas).

6. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Clay and Thomas have already been contributors to this offense. Egnew can't even crack the active roster.
    Your point makes no sense.

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If Egnew still doesn't get activated that does not speak well.

For anyone. Egnew. The guy who picked him. The coaches who coach him.

8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

If this is because of bad blood between he and Sherman, Philbin and Sherman are the idiots. If it's an offensive playbook issue, Egnew is the idiot. If it's a talent issue Ireland is the idiot. That's just how I see it myself.

bigbry and NolesNPhinsFan like this.
  9. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I think he gets activated just so they can get a better litmus test of where he stands. Perhaps they throw him in the pool early and his playing time later in the game might become dependent on whether he sinks or swims in the time he is given.

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    May be too early to start handing out clown noses, but I suspect it might just be a playbook issue.

11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Clay and Thomas have been minimal contributors at best. Thomas has been hurt, more than he has been a contributing factor over the past two years. Clay was suppose to be an instrumental factor in the offense this season. He had only 18 receptions during the 14 games the Dolphins have played so far this season. This is only two more receptions then he had in 2011.

So while both these players have been contributors, when compared to Egnew. The fact is that neither Thomas or Clay are the type of players the Dolphins need to build this offense around. I will be very surprised if either Thomas, Clay, or Egnew are with this team when they finally get it turned around in the next 2-3 years. They are all mediocre to bad NFL talent and they would all have a hard time making a quality NFL football team.

GARDENHEAD, dolfan22 and Bpk like this.
  12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Suspect Sherman just doesn't like him KM.

Objectively with Clay/Thomas/Bess likely out our offense is really crippled.

I suspect Reggie B has a huge workload this weekend, and Fasano.

13. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think it is probably a playbook and talent issue. So based on your reasoning, the blame would appear to be on Egnew and Ireland. Sherman stated in training camp that if he was the teams GM, he would cut Egnew. Ireland drafted Egnew and he is in charge of player personnel decisions. So it appears Ireland doesn't want to admit he made another draft mistake by cutting Egnew this season. The coaches on the other hand have taken matters into their own hands, by merely refusing to have Egnew active on game days.

cdz12250 likes this.
  14. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    If Egnew doesn't have the playbook down by now, does he even belong in the NFL?

I mean, come on. I know he is a rookie but he is a paid professional. He has an off season, pre season, and 15+ weeks of the regular season. Enough already.

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The issue is blocking. Which is getting him coached up on what he needs to do to block. Plus he isn't a special teams contributor so he hasn't been activated.

This idea that all players should be ready to be NFL super stars in their rookie year is crazy.

16. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not sure what all the histrionics are about. It doesn't look good, but it's too early to call him a bust, and even then, so what? You're going to have high-round busts in nearly every draft class.

Steve-Mo and PhinGeneral like this.
  17. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The article is pretty clear that the issue is blocking at this point.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I agree, but the idea that guys like Jeron Mastrud and Kyle Miller should be ahead of your 3rd round pick TE as the #3 on the depth chart...is also crazy.

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My understanding is that Egnew's issues are blocking and mental errors. My guess is that he fails to adjust whenever RT changes the play. Personally, I didn't like him as a pick. I think it was fine in theory (positional need, player type), but I was not overly impressed with his talent level.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I can agree on Kyle Miller.

21. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This is a no win situation for Miami in some ways.

If Egnew sucks or doesn't play on Sunday it feeds the Ireland rage, if he light's it up Sunday, then the coaching staff is going to get roasted for not playing him sooner, even though he might not have actually been ready until this weekend.

22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Which is crazy, to me. The Dolphins average having Charles Clay and Jeron Mastrud pass protect for Ryan Tannehill about 2 times per game, combined. Mastrud only gets a pass blocking snap once every two games. And if you watch Mastrud and Clay block on run plays and see them essentially function as little more than moving bodies that the defense have to run around, often on the back side of a play, you start wondering how it's even possible that Egnew can be SO bad at run blocking that he can't even be expected to do that. Meanwhile you head into an off season where you have to make important resource allocation decisions for all positions including the tight end position, and you know next to nothing about what this guy is going to offer you on the football field with real bullets firing.

23. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    This. He's got issues, but he should be getting chances before those 2 players. I understand Mastrud is a better blocker, but for a team that has issues with playmakers and the health of the few they have, he should be active. Sherman should be able to have a plan where he's able to use his strengths - which should be his ability to get open and make plays. Then again, with our tackles being the way they are, and DT out now, we need help on the ends.

24. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I agree for the most part. But it could be that the coaching staff is just sending Egnew a message during a season where they know they aren't going to win a lot. It might not be a case of Egnew being better than Mastrud or Clay, rather Egnew meeting a certain goal that the coaching staff has set for him.

Fin D likes this.
  25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That message is costing THEM as much as it's costing Egnew. And I'm not talking about in terms of winning games this season.

If you have no idea what you have in a Michael Egnew by the time this season ends, because you never put him on the football field, the odds of your mis-allocating resources at that position in the off season go up exponentially.

djphinfan and dolfan32323 like this.
  26. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    My prediction:
    Eggnog, 10 catches, 170 yards, 2 TD's.. ESPN compares him to Gronk :)

ckparrothead likes this.
  27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    For some reason I really want some eggnog

28. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It's official, crunch gave him a lasting nickname..lol

29. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    inactive eggnog.

If the issue is blocking then I don't think we see him the rest of the year with Daniel Thomas now out. I mean DT was your primary third down blocking back, now you're going to have either a tight end or a running back fill that role. You don't want Reggie doing it as you'd rather send him out on a route. Clay can't do it because he's also now on IR. You want to have the OPTION to have Fasano/Mastrud and whoever and not have to worry that your qb is going to get killed on a failed blitz pickup. Remember the game a couple of weeks ago where we made the 2nd half adjustment to have TWO guys blocking alongside Tannehill? We don't want to take away that option as a possible halftime adjustment by throwing Egnew into the mix.

30. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    There's no way it is only blocking that is holding him back. None. He is likely committing far too many mental errors and coming from the offense (and school) that he did, it is not a surprise.

ckparrothead and PhinGeneral like this.
  31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Why do you say that?

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Because Gary Pinkel's offense is rather simplistic and does a great job using alignments to get matchup advantages. It has yet to produce a quality tight end to my knowledge.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That really has to be it. It would be too stupid for it to just be blocking. If the guy doesn't know or adjust a play right, all manner of things could happen including a turnover. That would be an actual reason to be scared.

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Except that when they put LoBook in the game finally, he was one of the only players on offense that could actually gain yardage. And he did so well that they were able to trade him off for a nice pick in the Draft.

I think that's a great example of how Egnew could be better than is generally thought, actually.

35. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC

Yes, he is. He on the IR for Chicago I believe. he even had a 100+ yard kickoff return for TD during the preseason.

Expect him to be in the pro bowl next year :lol:

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He still bounces around the league. I think his last stop was Minnesota.

37. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    lol. I thought you were going to give us a Great Spiked Eggnog Recipe!

38. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Armando dismisses the notion that he may be having problems picking up the offense based on the fact that he was smart enough to tow the company line to reporters so he must be smart enough to learn the playbook. To me that's a bit of a reach. I agree with others that if it was just his blocking than the coaching staff would have found ways to get him on the field where he could be used primarily as a receiving option.

This coaching staff seems reluctant to put players on the field that don't know the playbook cold, Miller, Egnew, Nanadu, Armstrong etc.... I think this has to do with having a rookie QB, as the last thing you need to pile on RT is having him worrying about whether a guy is running the right route or picking up the right blitz assignment.

39. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    You are obsessed with nicknames.

40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Now if Jeron Mastrud (hamstring) who was limited in practice today doesn't play on Sunday AND Eggnog isn't activated, I have a lot less to stand on. Especially if Hartline is out.