1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eisen of NFL Network endorses Sparano for COTY

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Watching NFL Gameday Final and Rich Eisen declared that Tony Sparano should win Coach of the Year because of how much he has surpassed expectations.

He also mentioned that people thought Tony would just be a Parcells puppet (implying that Sparano has proven he is not Parcells' puppet).

Deion countered with saying that Pennington made a huge difference to the team, but did point out that Dallas has suffered without Sparano helping the O-line there.

Other people mentioned in the COTY discussion: Mike Smith, John Harbaugh, Tom Coughlin. I'd add Mike Tomlin and Bill Belichick to that list.

But I want Sparano to win it.

2. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Now that we have a celebrity endorsing Tony Sparono he will definitly will win.

No but really he should win.

Bpk likes this.
  3. Bpk

Glad SOMEONE at the NFL Network FINALLY said something positive about us. Geez.

You know, I met Rich Eisen at a book signing earlier this year (I bought his bought and he autographed it). He asked which team I was a fan of, and I said the Dolphins. He didn't have much to say to that, but signed my book "The Fish Will Swim Again"

We had no clue how soon that would prove to be true....

:)

4. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    The only person who I think could give Sparano a run for COTY it's Mike Smith. But in the end our man should get the award.

5. Bpk

Oh, and it's pretty obvious Deion dislikes the Dolphns, imo.

Maricucci gives credit where it's due, at least. He was in love with the wildcat and he thinks the 'rookie head coaches' have done a great job this year. Kinda indisputable.

6. Bpk

I think it depends on how the season ends... that is, does either coach win their division and how do they do in the playoffs, if they make it to them?

You know, I have to say... it IS harder to be successful with a rookie QB than a smart vet like Pennington, so things might favor Smith there.

That said, whatever Sparano said at halftime today TOTALLY changed the team's performance. Great halftime by Sparano and his staff.

7. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    Oh christ, what did this fool say now?

And listening to him and Marshall Faulk call a game the other night was the equivalent of getting my colon removed with a dull knife, love to know whose brilliant idea was that.

8. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    Well I will say this, if Sparano doesn't get the COTY and Chad doesn't get to the Pro Bowl, that in itself will be a crime.

Because you are right, Chad should get a ton of the credit for this season, with Henne a .500 season would have been realistic.

9. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Mike Smith-I would agree with you there he came in with nothing really and made them good.

John Harbaugh-He already had a great defense around him and he had and ok offense

Tom Coughlin-His team is the defending superbowl champs anything they do well is expected

Mike Tomlin-There are to many other coaches that have done with less. Plus he has on of the best teams in the NFL

Bill Belichick-Every thing was there except Tom Brady.

Tony Sparono Took a 1-15 team and put them in first place in the AFC East.

10. Bpk

It's more what he doesn;t say. You know, there was the time a few months ago when the desk was doing predictions, and they asked about Miami winning the upcoming game and Marshall and Deion both laughed. So disrespectful I can see Faulk being pissed at us because he picked us to be a surprise darkhorse team last year for the Superbowl. Kinda embarassed the guy. Why Deion disses us I don;t know.

Whenever someone praises us, Deion says nothing, never agrees, never adds anything. Just kinda looks like he is unimpressed and talks about the other team in the game, or switches topics entirely (usually to the Dallas Cowboys).

Deion may be entertaining as a personality, but I dislike his attitude towards the Dolphins and his constant mangling of the English language.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'll say this. Last year, we just sucked. Then we got Parcells.

ATL sucked as well, only won 3 more games than us, and aren't we always arguing how many close games we lost? But they had Vick, Petrino quitting halfway, Parcells spurning them to go to us, and people were feeling so sorry for them, even with our record we were ranked 31st in a lot of Power Rankings before the season. They were 32nd.

I absolutely think Mike Smith deserves the coach of the year. Flat out, no questions asked. People expected us to get better. It wasn't a question of if, it was a question of when. Nobody gave ATL a chance. Including me. Period. Rookie QB. Mike Smith who? I liked Matt Ryan at BC, and felt sorry he was going to ATL.

Also, we all know how bad Mike Mularkey is. Either he wasn't the cause of our bad offense, or Mike Smith has been able to overcome his ineptness somehow.

12. FinFan_Est.1984

FinFan_Est.1984 Get Aggressive!!!

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    I officially can not stand Deon Sanders. He is a terrible analyst that strongly dislikes the Fins and is all over the Pats jocks. That combination is lethal to my blood. He sucks and makes my stomach turn!

theWeasel and Bpk like this.
  13. Bpk

Agree on Mike Smith, Harbaugh and Coughlin.

Tomlin has been good, considering that offense and QB play.

Belichick lost (to IR):

- ProBowl QB Tom Brady
    - Starting RB Lawrence Maroney
    - Starting OLB Adalius Thomas
    - Starting SS Rodney Harrison
    As well as several other CBs and LBs who were less critical, plus, recently, Teddy Bruschi has gone out.

Last year, when we lost our starting QB, RB and Safety we went 1-15 and used it as part of the excuse.

I think Belichick, much of a dick as he is, deserves a lot of credit for winning 10 games under those circumstances.

14. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Rich has been in our corner.:wink2:

Bpk likes this.
  15. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I have no clue as to why Deion dislikes Miami so much. Does anyone here have an idea why he seems to always pick Miami to lose and refuses to give them credit for anything?

16. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

^ He's a washed up football player and has nothing better to do with his afternoons and evenings?

17. Bpk

Well, Marty (cnc) may have hit it on the head with this:

...or it could be that he hates Bill Parcells...

Splash Brothers on Sports: Deion, leave Bill Parcells alone.

Which Brown4200 seems to agree with:
    http://forums.thephins.com/miami-dolphins-forum/15200-deion-sanders-add-him-list-haters.html

At any rate... he has no qualms openly dissing one of the NFL owner's businesses consistently on the NFL's own network. For example:

1) Comment in the Herald
    Dolphins In Depth

2) Or, as, Finrunner observed...

http://forums.thephins.com/miami-dolphins-forum/15726-yet-another-deion-sanders-shot-dolphins.html

Brown42000 likes this.
  18. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    LOL @ Jeff Fisher not even being mentioned in this thread.

texanphinatic, The Aqua Crush and Bpk like this.
  19. RunRickyRun34

RunRickyRun34 New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    sparano is a weird guy, if your giving COTY to anyone give it to parcells

20. Bpk

Coach of the Year only goes to the Head Coach of a team. Parcells is not a Head Coach of an NFL team.

And I get the feeling with a criticism like "sparano is a weird guy" that you may simply be trying to enter a purposely silly comment instead of contributing thoughtfully to the discussion. I invite you to explain how you think Sparano is weird, at least, to give us insight into your point.

theWeasel likes this.
  21. Bpk

Good point.

22. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I refuse to watch the NFL Network anymore because I cannot stand that arrogant clown (Deion Sanders). I hope the Hall of Fame voters take a crap on Deion when his turn comes up for the Hall of Fame vote. He never made a tackle in his entire career.

23. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    He actually had 492 tackles. And scored 19 touchdowns.

24. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I can't watch NFLN anyway. As bad as the other network has gotten, they're flat out bad. Trying to watch Jamie Dukes, Rod Woodson and Marshall Faulk give me analysis is like trying to watch .... I don't even know what it's like. But when Dukes is the best analyst out of your three panelist ...

New Drinking game. everytime their lack of analysis skills starts to show and they bust out jokes and other absurd statements to mask it, take a shot. You'll be drunk real fast.

25. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I agree, IMO, it should come down to the 3 rookie coaches this year, Sparano, Smith and Harbaugh. Out of the three, I believe it should go to Sparano. He had the least to work with. we were miles beyond the Ravens, and Falcons in the suck factor last year, we had, and still have less talent than both of those teams do and somehow, Sparano has us here fighting for the division crown... If that doesnt say coach of the year, i don't know what does.

oh, and btw, its been in my sig since about week 8 :lol:

26. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

Not going to happen I'm afraid, he may have shirked out of tackling but he is the best cover corner to ever play the game. He's a sure fire first ballot, although I suspect you already know that.

27. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Yeah, I wasn't thinking about Mike Smith because I pay less attention to the NFC. But he's a strong candidate. It should come down to him and Sparano. Though Fisher (with Kerry Collins playing the role of Earl Morrall) and Harbaugh are worthy too.

28. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Mike Smith, Sparano and Fisher are my votes.

It will be a tight race because there are compelling arguments for each canditate, and it will come down to who finishes how. But know this, they will all recieve votes, it will just be a matter of who gets the most. I wouldn't be suprised if any one of them won it. I would be suprised if any of them won it in a landslide without votes for the other two.

Harbarough and Tomlin sure had great seasons, very good coaches. But there is much more convincing arguments for sparano, smith and fisher. Those three IMO will get the most votes.

29. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Sparano and Smith, if its not one of those 2 then its simply not a valid award. I mean really. 1-15 to possible division winner? 3-13 and with all the crap going on to a wild card? Not even close. They came in and changed the entire culture of their teams, gave them a swagger and confidence and the ability to win games instead of lose them.

There are some other coaches who have had good years. Harbaugh, Tomlin, Fisher and Bellichek have all done well and deserve mention as top coaching jobs for the year, but NOT the best, not by a longshot.