1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EJ Manuel out this Sunday, Thad Lewis is in

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ronnie Bass, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Aware of what numbers? Percentages can't be used as anything factual in this regard. It's the NFL and it's 100% a game by game situation. There is absolutely no variable change or laws of averages involved.

That being said, it wouldn't be a huge upset if we goto Buffalo and find a way to lose.

Paul 13 likes this.
  2. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    No it wouldn't and it wouldn't surprise me that much. That being said I think we win by two scores. Tannehill is going to continue his ascent through the end of this season and into the playoffs. Maybe I'm crazy but I'm going with that for now...

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    The math may add up, but it's just made up numbers based on one mans opinion.

For example "I" think Ohio State has a better than 50% chance of beating Clemson, but that's an arbitrary number made up of a combination of homerism and personal perception.

4. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Come on man! Of course none of us know the facts, the game has not been played yet.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Difference is this year, we do not have the slew of AFC losses that normally doom our chances.

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    I'm with you...

But we wouldn't be talking Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson over here.

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Agree to disagree. Just as I guess we agree to disagree on the idea that Eugene Monroe is playing "horribly" in Baltimore. So just as personally I'm not sure how anyone watching Monroe play in Baltimore could talk about how much he's sucking, you say that personally you're not sure how anyone could watch Miami play and Baltimore play and come away thinking they're near equals.

8. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Good questions. I'd love to see if some has the odds for that.

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know. I think Miami knows a little bit about that from this weekend. Seem to remember the game ending on something like that. Also seem to remember a Patriots receiver dropping a football in the end zone that would have won the game.

You can peel the layers off the onion on EVERY team and just about every victory, including and especially Miami's. To what end? The Ravens beat the Lions and they've won 4 in a row. Miami has won 3 in a row. They're both getting hot right now. Oh and there's that thing about Baltimore having beaten us at home.

And for all that I'm not even trying to say Baltimore is some significantly better team than Miami. But you ARE trying to say that Miami is significantly better than Baltimore.

With that I'm bowing out as I sense you're just picking a fight for the hell of it. As I said. Agree to disagree on the concepts of Eugene Monroe having performed terribly in Baltimore and the Baltimore Ravens being a significantly worse team that Miami right now.

10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Sucks to say, but Baltimore resembles that team that gets hot late, sneaks in and makes some noise.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Sort of like they did a year ago?

Given that, ya know, they're the defending Super Bowl champs and know how to turn things on at the end of the season.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    All the more evidence that I made the right decision to bow out of this conversation.

13. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    whoa, whoa, whoa....whoa.

We are.

14. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Hey, i know we're not used to this sort of thing, and maybe im wrong and we're all broken hearted next week...

but who says WE aren't that team this year? If we take care of business against the bills and jets, we will be going into the playoffs having won 6 of our last 7 games.

Think we can't go into Indy and win there? We already did and we're a better overall team now then we were then (and they're a little worse). Think we can't go into Cincy and win? You seen Dalton in the playoffs???

Why not us?!

Brasfin likes this.
  15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, we have several things going our way, for example we are not a great home team which fits the wildcard games on the road quite well. Add in a Qb getting hot and we have some good factors in our favor for that to happen.

Have to think that W v Pitt is not being given enough credit, this team had a terrible record in games below 40 degrees, the Steelers knew if they lost that one their season was practically over..at home, in the snow, and we took the W from them.

Pandarilla, HULKFish and DolfanTom like this.
  16. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The only person on that roster that should worry us is Wilkerson and he didn't do **** before.
    The Jets suck balls.

finyank13 and NolesNPhinsFan like this.
  17. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    The Dolphins really beat themselves, with the Bills defense of course. Lewis had 0 TDs, Jackson only had 36 yards rushing. Stevie Johnson was their leading WR at 60 yards, 0 TDs, and he's out Sunday. As we all remember the game was in reach until we decided to get pass happy and then the O-Line collapsed and created a fumble that led to the Bills GW Field Goal. Clabo is playing better, hope that continues.

18. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I'll guarantee that Dareus plays and starts on Sunday. He's been limited for several weeks now during the week but always plays in the games. Guy is absolute super beast

19. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    That game is why I still can't trust this coaching staff. That may have been the worst loss in years. A winnable game, pissed away by horrid coaching decisions.

We win THAT game and we are battling for a division title and the bye week.

20. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    all this talk about stats and odds of Miami winning both games and making the playoffs... each game needs to be looked at separately, in chronological order. That's what the %s mentioned previously DON'T take into account. That a previous event can and does have an effect on a subsequent event. If the Dolphins win against the Bills on Sunday, I'd reckon they'd have a better chance of beating the Jets the following week.

If you take two separate games on a Sunday, betting the favorites at 70% success rate in each game.. playing them in a "parlay" (combination bet) you have roughly a 50% chance of winning that "parlay." However, we don't have that with the Bills and Jets because the games are being played with the same participant in each (the Dolphins).

Having said this, I do agree that the odds of Miami making the playoffs is closer to 50% than it is 70%. And it has nothing to do with the Ravens, since we aren't playing them directly. More to do with the Bills and Jets, divisional rivals who won't like us using them as fodder on the way to the playoffs.

21. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    With the exception of the saints game, you could say this about all of our losses unfortunately.

-Pats game, blew a 17 pt lead.
    -Bills game, Oline (clabo) collapsed
    -Ravens games (clabo) collapsed
    -Bucs game, just all-around awful performance.
    -Panthers game, blew it big time. (4th and 10, really)

22. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    No one is doubting their capability, I simply pointed out that watching them the past 3-4 weeks makes me think they may win out and the Bungles are left out.

Still think the Dolphins find a way to win out, they seem to have learned how to win football games.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

muscle979 likes this.
  23. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Philbin said they put a 4-5 game package together, coupled with the last game we played them. I can't see them overlooking anything. We're gonna have to put blockers on Mario to help Clabo, of course, and I think they do. Egnew... Sims... chipping backs. I think he gets a little bit of everything. We need Miller and Thomas to run hard as they have the last few weeks as well. I'm sure RT will pick apart his first game out against them.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007

I wasn't digging you. I was agreeing. I was just pointing out how overlooked they are considering they're the defending champs and truly do have experience going on exactly the kind of run they appear to be on.

25. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I actually hate all this talk of teams that know how to get it done late. Roster turnover is huge in the NFL. The guys there last season are now elsewhere. Some are the same obviously but Baltimore had a huge roster tufnover for example. Whatever they did last year is mostly meaningless

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  26. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    [​IMG]

Playoff scenarios are all just psychological masturbation anyway!

djphinfan and Ophinerated like this.
  27. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    we won a road game, in the snow, in pittsburgh. Everything but the actual play on the field is useless.