Eli is Retiring
19 replies
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
Eli was never excellent. He was never going to be his brother. But he was always steady and likable for a long, long time. He'll always be my favorite QB from that rookie class. He declined in his mid 30s, as most players do, despite what we've seen from a handful of others in the last ten years. But his stretch from 2009-2015 was excellent, despite the fact that he didn't always have a great supporting cast.
The Dolphins would be lucky to develop a QB as good as he was during his peak.
Good, so happy he is out of the league. Never liked him.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
Good, so happy he is out of the league. Never liked him.
You and I strongly agree on some things, and very much disagree on others! :chuckle:
Is he worth of a 1st ballot hof?
"Cashvillesent wrote:
Is he worth of a 1st ballot hof?
I don't think so. Giants Ring of Honor level.
"Cashvillesent wrote:
Is he worth of a 1st ballot hof?
I wouldnt consider him a HOF player period.
The HOF should be for the elite of the elite and Eli is a guy who was above average with some hot streaks.
Just my opinion.
"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:
I wouldnt consider him a HOF player period.
The HOF should be for the elite of the elite and Eli is a guy who was above average with some hot streaks.
Just my opinion.
Hall of Fame is not called the "Hall of Elite" or "Hall of Best Stats".
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
I don't think so. Giants Ring of Honor level.
But why? Considering the last qb to be inducted into the hof was kurt Warner, and eli's stats have tremendously surpassed his, why does eli not deserve it? What makes a qb hof worthy or not?
"Cashvillesent wrote:
But why? Considering the last qb to be inducted into the hof was kurt Warner, and eli's stats have tremendously surpassed his, why does eli not deserve it? What makes a qb hof worthy or not?
I view Warner as absolutely not HOF worthy. Eli is far above him. Warner getting in is a joke.
"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:
I wouldnt consider him a HOF player period.
The HOF should be for the elite of the elite and Eli is a guy who was above average with some hot streaks.
Just my opinion.
Seventh all-time in TDs and yards is “above average”?
"Cashvillesent wrote:
Seventh all-time in TDs and yards is “above average”?
You need to blend statistics, both year by year and total, with subjective judgement and a human eye. Determining who gets into the HOF is more art than science.
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
I view Warner as absolutely not HOF worthy. Eli is far above him. Warner getting in is a joke.
Warner is the opposite argument of Eli (no longevity, but clearly the best QB in the game for several years). Both deserve to get in.
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
You need to blend statistics, both year by year and total, with subjective judgement and a human eye. Determining who gets into the HOF is more art than science.
Got that - I was just relating facts
Perhaps just recency bias, but Eli seems like he had more bad years than great years, with some average thrown in. He doesn't deserve to a HoF, but the two Super Bowl wins will get him in.
"texanphinatic wrote:
Perhaps just recency bias, but Eli seems like he had more bad years than great years, with some average thrown in. He doesn't deserve to a HoF, but the two Super Bowl wins will get him in.
He had a much better careeer than Rivers.
"Cashvillesent wrote:
He had a much better careeer than Rivers.
Also not a HoF player imo.
I think that we all (not just us here, but all of football) needs to get past the notion that every productive quarterback then deserves to be enshrined into the HOF. To me, players like Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers are basically the Boomer Esiason or Phil Simms or Drew Bledsoe of their era. Worthy of being given the highest honors by their individual teams and worthy of being remembered, but not HOFers.
Opining late but in my book Eli does deserve HoF consideration. Two time Super bowl champion, both against the Mighty Patriots and killing the Patriots effort to have an undefeated season....and had two Super Bowl championships before his big brother Peyton had one.
In those 2 Super Bowls, Eli made some clutch throws to beat New England. If that doesn’t warrant HoF consideration then the HoF is nothing more than a popularity contest

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
Opining late but in my book Eli does deserve HoF consideration. Two time Super bowl champion, both against the Mighty Patriots and killing the Patriots effort to have an undefeated season....and had two Super Bowl championships before his big brother Peyton had one.
In those 2 Super Bowls, Eli made some clutch throws to beat New England. If that doesn’t warrant HoF consideration then the HoF is nothing more than a popularity contest
It depends on how you view it. I see championships purely as a team accomplishment, and no player should be judged one way or the other in their regard. At most, its something of a tiebreaker if you're on the fence, I suppose.