1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emphasis on Passing Making the Game Less Safe?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by josh, Oct 25, 2013.

1. josh

josh Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I was listening to Mike and Mike in the morning and they noted that Terry Bradshaw threw as many touchdowns as interceptions over his entire entire career. The man has four Super Bowl rings. He's a Hall of Fame quarterback

They say good quarterbacks in the 70's had a 50% completion rating but now if you're under 65% they're looking for a new quarterback

What I wonder though, is has the emphasis on excitement in the passing game made football less safe?

Do we have more dangerous throws over the middle? Are quarterback spending more time hanging out in the pocket allowing more big hit opportunities? I just don't think you get as many big hits in the running game. You're just not in defenseless positions in the running game as much as you are in passing game.

If the NFL really wants to make the game more safe, would rolling back some of the pass friendly rule changes, that they added in the last decade or two, make a difference?

At least with more run-oriented offenses, it's still a physical game, unlike the direction we're heading now.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Need leather helmets. No more leading with the helmet.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The problem starts at the high school level.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    It seems like a chicken or egg type thing though to me though. Devil's advocate: Maybe kids are being coached properly at the HS level but watch huge hits on TV and throw proper form out the window.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm sure that's part of it. The same can be said of any number of things from sex to drugs to guns. All you can do is keep teaching the fundamentals and not rewarding the launch style hits during every level of the game.