1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Employers and Former Military Looking for Ex-Military employees

Discussion in 'Jobs Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    gunn34, Uncle Rico, Celtkin and 2 others like this.
  2. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
  3. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
  4. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    This is a video about the site. It is on the site once you sign up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgtTpFRXBSA]YouTube - Helping Veterans Transition from Military to Civilian Jobs[/ame]

5. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I will be going to this Job Fair tomorrow in San Diego. I will let you know how it goes so if there is one of these coming to your area, you will know what to expect if you prior or existing military getting out of the service.:wink2:

6. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Cool, may use them in under a year and a half when I retire

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  7. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Some of the exhibitors didn't show up. I did get to talk to the representatives of General Atomics Aeronautical and Raytheon. Got some leads and have already emailed off my resume and applied for some jobs. The job fair went from 11am to 3pm. I got there at 11:30 am as I was running behind. The line was very long but I got through in a half an hour. I suggest if you got to these that are listed, be there early, so you can in before it gets too crowded.

I shook my head as people came to the job fair not professionally dressed, with out resumes, and pens.

Here is a list of exhibtors that do recall seeing there:

Blackwater USA
    Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway
    California Department of Veteran Affairs
    California Prison Health Care Services
    Cuyamaca College
    Department of Veteran Affairs
    Devry University
    Disney ABC Media Networks
    Federal Aviation Administration
    General Atomics
    Health Net Inc.
    Kaplan University
    Military Sealift Command
    Raytheon
    San Francisco Police Dept.
    Snap On Tools Company
    Tecta America
    USDA Forest Service
    Washington Closure Hanford
    American Legion

I thought it was good. It could of been better with more exhibitors, and more use of Qualcomm Stadium. I highly recommend that you network while you are in line. Some of the people had jobs but were looking for more information in case they lost there job, so they had a back up plan. Also bring 25 resumes with you as well. In one the previous posts I included the dates for this. There were two Charger girl cheer leaders as well. I had to stay focused.:lol: That's my report.

dolfndav34 likes this.
  8. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Thanks brother, I might need to use this sooner then anticipated.

9. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Just signed up for the site ... looks promising ... it'll come in handy when I am through with college in a couple of years ... thanks man!

10. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    If you need a great resume service to use I highly recommend this company. I have had awesome success using them.:up:

http://www.rosshr.com/

Gunner likes this.
  11. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I'll keep them bookmarked too ... I am half way through getting my BS and with the job market still looking slim, I'll prolly need all the help I can get :up:

12. USArmyFinFan

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Almost forgot about this site, signed up today, I'll keep you guys posted as to the results.

13. eric

eric New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    i know there is a recruit military seminar coming soon down here in south florida hiring for the department of homeland security.

14. USArmyFinFan

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Update, I have been offered and accepted a position with the American Legion as a Veteran Service Officer for the State of Texas. This career lead came directly from the site in the OP. Thanks for the link FFIC!

On a side note, once I complete all my training in July and August, I will be more than happy to assist any Veterans here!

Gunner and gunn34 like this.
  15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    What do they offer, your office?

16. USArmyFinFan

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    No, a career. I am training to assist service members and veterans with disability claims, retirement,employment, or any other number of issues.

finyank13 likes this.
  17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Like a transition liason nice...:up:

USArmyFinFan likes this.
  18. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Just wanted to share a negative bit that i've been experiencing lately...

I've been looking for other work for awhile now, and on several occassions I've had the interviewers tell me straight-up that my military experience actually works against me. I don't know how, when, or why public attitudes toward the military changed, but I was just told that had I not had the military background on my resume, I might have been a "stronger candidate".

I think that is very odd, and i'm not saying this is what every employer thinks today... but it's happened 4 times now. Too often to be a coincidence.

They won't tell me why, but I can only guess it isn't a good thing or else they'd tell me. So yeah basically looking for work that is friendly to ex-military types up here in WA.

19. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I've had that in the back of my mind also after being turned down for a similar reason. I think once I am through with school, I am gonna create two resumes ... one for government jobs and one for civilian companies that doesn't really mention my military service much, if at all

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Damn bro thats a shame.....seriously how is this the case...?? I mean dont get me wrong, I am not on the holier than thou bit but how is it a hinderance...

21. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I ask myself that same question ... but there is a stigma ... maybe a stereo type that a lot of companies put on ex military. When I was on active duty I talked to a couple of tech reps that worked in my field ... they told me it was their companies unofficial policy to avoid hiring vets ... you would never get any of them to openly admit that ... but its a fact :pity: