1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enough with the Dolphins’ first pick; what about the second?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 21, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Sure, it doesn’t come with the same amount of fanfare and media coverage, but the top pick of the second round provides a similar amount of intrigue and could play a major part in shaping the fortunes of the franchise for years to come.

Especially if the team decides to once again go after a quarterback.

Last year, it was John Beck. This year, it could be Chad Henne (Michigan) or Joe Flacco (Delaware). And while Bill Parcells and the remainder of Miami's brass say that they are very happy with Beck, a soon-to-be second-year quarterback out of BYU, don't put it past the Dolphins to invest in a position that is both the most important in football and one whose inconsistency has plagued the organization since the day Dan Marino retired.

Henne seems to be drawing a lot of attention as of late, with some pundits asserting that his skill set is on par with that of higher profile counterpart Matt Ryan, a surefire top-10 pick.

Even if the Dolphins don’t select a quarterback with that second pick, there are several other intriguing options. For example, if former Miami Hurricanes standout safety Kenny Phillips were to fall that far down, he could prove to be the steal of the draft, and could serve as that “defensive pillar” Ireland referred to in last week’s press conference.
    http://www.realfootball365.com/index...dolphins/10947

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2008
  2. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    If we pick Chris Long with the #1 pick, then #32 should be used on OL. I would do backflips if Branden Albert were still on the board, but he'll likely be selected in the mid first round. Players like Chris Williams and Carl Nicks will be more realistic possibilities at #32.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

I would be surprised if Albert makes it to 15...very surprised

Williams is one I was touting 2 months ago, looks like it is pretty likely he will also be off the board

Nicks has character issues, but is a very good player. At this point, I am thinking more along the lines of Big GOSDER..He would make a very solid RT and shore up that side of the line.

like2god likes this.
  4. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    You can't go wrong with any of them IMO. Miami may have picked a bad year to be holding the #1 pick, but this is a great year for talent in rounds 2-4. I feel like a little kid on Christmas eve waiting for the morning to arrive.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  5. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I'm praying that Phillip Merling falls but if not Curtis Lofton, Gosder Cherilus, Joe Flacco, Mario Manningham, Tracy Porter would all make me happy. Personally this is the spot I would like to see us trade down

6. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Definitely an option, the #32 pick might be the most coveted pick in the draft. As long as we don't trade down too far and still have the opportunity to select one of the better OL prospects, I'm all for it.

7. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks for posting my column! However, you left out the most important passage:
    For example, up-and-coming fan forum ThePhins.com has nearly a dozen threads devoted to the topic.

Also, can you please hyperlink to the article?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  8. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Sorry about the link..

9. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Oh that looks purdy now don't it. :D

Good article. As much as I'm anticipating the #1 pick, it's essentially a 3-man race at this point. 32 is prime real estate with all kinds of options. I get pumped up with almost every name floated for that position.

10. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I'm going with the Chris Long/Gosder Cherilus combo for the first two picks. I don't think any other combination is as effective. I'd also expect to see Groves' name thrown in the mix as well come draft day.

11. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    What Hugo is talking about is this

Thanks for the link brother.As I have said before I have always enjoyed your work and you have being doing this even before any of these message boards came along :hi5:

12. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks for the props brother!

CrunchTime likes this.
  13. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I think it's a great pick to have, not only for the talent, but the fact that others will want to be in that slot. We have a real chance to get extra picks out of the top of the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year.

14. gcd960

gcd960 Junior Member

Mar 26, 2008
    i just dont know if i would want to trade the pick if any of the following players are still available:

Sweed
    Hardy
    Cason
    Brohm
    Cherilus (If Jake isnt the pick)

15. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Personally I'd be thrilled if we drafted 2 OT's with the first 2 picks.

16. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I think that's one too many in the first two picks - we've already got a great tackle. If it's depth we're after at the position, we can get a good one at a slot lower than 1 or 32. If it's trade bait we're after, we're better off drafting a QB and dangling him at a later date than another tackle.

17. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think Cherilus will be gone before we pick again at 32. Theres alot of teams looking for o-line help and he would be hard to pass up even if you werent. There was an awful lot of talk about Henne going to us in print media, and the guys on sirius nfl this morning mentioning that henne would go late first, or early 2nd... I wouldn't be surprised if its us. While I'd like Henne, I think we need to address some other needs, and give beck a chance still

18. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Jan 4, 2008

Personally I think Carey would make a better LG then L or RT.

19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

On one hand, the glaring holes in the OL dictate that we take an OL at #32 IF we take someone other than Jake Long at #1. But, as in KB's mock, he waited until the #57 to take an OL.

It's just that, IMO, if we take Jake at #1, we have a bye on #32...it can truly be the BPA, because at that point, most likely there will be solid QBs, OL, DE, OLB, ILB and CBs available. And of course there's always the one team that takes someone at #'s 15-20 that is a real reach and that lets someone slide that could be a great help for us. Without being to pessimistic, at #32, that description fits just about anyone...

At any rate, the other thing is that IF Jake is the #1, then a trade down at that #32 is a very real possibility. Get a 2nd and 3rd for moving back 10 spots or so...depending on what teams like Atlanta, Baltimore and maybe even the Jets if they feel a QB is available....You just never know...

I'd really like to see that scenario work out...another pick in the top 100 can't be bad...

20. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Based on what? Carey graded out as one of the top left tackles in the league this past year, both as a run blocker and pass protector (in his first full year at the position mind you) and graded even better a year earlier at right tackle.

Why in the world would he move to guard?

21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Especially with the Smiley signing.

I'm hoping for Hardy or Dan Conner at #32, with Cason or Pat Sims running a strong 2c and 2d.

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I am a big fan of Connor but I was wondering what your thoughts were on him in the 34 defense? I know I discussed this with Adamprez I believe and he didn't think he fit at all in it.

23. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I've heard that he is too small to play ILB in a parcell's style 3-4, I went and looked at some old football magazines that I had from the 90's, and that is not so, Gary Reasons for example was Conner's size, Bruschi is a bit larger, but he came into the NFL at Conner's size, so there is no reason to exclude him from the discussion.

The thing about #32 is no player that I've heard mentioned "fits" there, a Olineman there is to early, a Qb isn't needed that early, Wr is a possibility as is DE and the DT's seem a bit early to pick, even Sims is ranked in the 50's.

There will be really good CB prospects there, and there will be some Wr there of that I'm certain, a King or Porter or Hardy or maybe Sweed should be there when we pick.

alen1 likes this.
  24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ooo ok. Thanks.

25. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Carey has been a Dolphins since 04 and hasn't made a pro bow, in contrast Joe Thomas makes the pro bowl as a rookie.Carey doesn't handle speedy DE or OLB well. Carey can play both LT and RT. I think he is a very good LT or RT, but I think he would be an all-pro and multiple pro bowl LG. I think Carey stays at LT this year unless we draft an OT and they anchor the spot right out of the gate. I then see Cary moving to the right side or inside where he is just a more natural fit.

26. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i would love to see a Chris Long/Gosder Cherilus combo
    that would be sick

but i think cherilus will be gone by the time #32 comes around

27. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    If we go with Jake at number 1 obviously its either Lofton, Avril, or Groves at 32.

If we go Long or Gholston then its Collins, Cherlius, Nicks at 32. Though Nicks can be picked later.