Entire Seahawks Team May Sit During Anthem
87 repliesLocked
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
They do. It is their right as an American citizen to be upset.
Imo calling for punishment or forcing them to stand is scary
Why do you insist on suggesting i have done that?
“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” –MLK
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find it disturbing that there are so many people that does not know what the flag stands for, and also the many people that deny racism exists.. Or perhaps they think blacks are treated the way theyre supposed to be treated, like animals that should be put down.
Lol @ "perceived social injustice"... You cant be serious about that statement and if you are... Then youre just creepy..
I dont want to get too political in a football forum though. by the way there will be a handful of dolphins that will join them.
"Superself wrote:
“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” –MLK
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A truly great man that preached unity and tolerance..
To bad there are very few today doing that.
"LiferYank wrote:
Empathy towards what? Perception is just that perception its not always based on factual information. Instead of catering to false perception wouldnt it better to educate people on actual information?
Clearly you're not trying this empathy thing. Sorry you're so bitter. Have fun at your Trump rally.
Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin
"GARDENHEAD wrote:
Clearly you're not trying this empathy thing. Sorry you're so bitter. Have fun at your Trump rally.
You call for empathy and then insult someone that disagrees with you... Interesting.
Facts over perception makes one "bitter" eh? Did you accuse someone else of not knowing what words mean?
"Vertical Limit wrote:
Lol @ "perceived social injustice"... You cant be serious about that statement and if you are... Then youre just creepy..
Yeah because anyone who disagrees with your interpretation MUST be evil. But liberals are the open-minded ones somehow...
The fact is, cops are people. Just as a certain percentage of people will be bad people, a certain percentage of cops will be bad people. Just as a certain percentage of people will suck at their job, a certain percentage of cops will suck at their job. The fact that there have been some cops who are poorly trained or just bad people who've done bad things doesn't mean that there's systemic prejudice against black people across the nation in dozens of police agencies.
White people get shot with little justification or mistakenly by cops all the time without massive protests or accusations of racism. Cops make mistake, but in general they got into their line of work to help people and attitudes being pushed by groups like BLM are doing nothing but discouraging people from getting into law enforcement and endangering the lives of the ones that are in that line of work.
"LiferYank wrote:
A truly great man that preached unity and tolerance..
To bad there are very few today doing that.
MLK would be sickened by the so-called "leaders" of the BLM movement and the violence they've encouraged.
"Rick 1966 wrote:
Yeah because anyone who disagrees with your interpretation MUST be evil. But liberals are the open-minded ones somehow...
The fact is, cops are people. Just as a certain percentage of people will be bad people, a certain percentage of cops will be bad people. Just as a certain percentage of people will suck at their job, a certain percentage of cops will suck at their job. The fact that there have been some cops who are poorly trained or just bad people who've done bad things doesn't mean that there's systemic prejudice against black people across the nation in dozens of police agencies.
White people get shot with little justification or mistakenly by cops all the time without massive protests or accusations of racism. Cops make mistake, but in general they got into their line of work to help people and attitudes being pushed by groups like BLM are doing nothing but discouraging people from getting into law enforcement and endangering the lives of the ones that are in that line of work.
Best damn summary I've seen of this yet.
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
They do. It is their right as an American citizen to be upset.
Imo calling for punishment or forcing them to stand is scary
And it's everyone's right to call then what they are: disrespectful. No one is arguing that they don't have the right to do it. They absolutely do. But sometimes you don't do what you have the right to do, out of respect for others. You find a different way of doing it.
"LiferYank wrote:
A truly great man that preached unity and tolerance..
To bad there are very few today doing that.
First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."
- MLK
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"resnor wrote:
And it's everyone's right to call then what they are: disrespectful. No one is arguing that they don't have the right to do it. They absolutely do. But sometimes you don't do what you have the right to do, out of respect for others. You find a different way of doing it.
If it is just about disrespect, I wouldn't mention anything.
There is someone in this thread that wants the owners to take away their right to do so.
This is America. Where you have the right to offend and you have the right to be offended.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
Personally, I find the kneeling to be a very respectful way to do this protest. The kneel in line with their team, they still honor the country, flag, and anthem, and they get to make their statement about whatever they are choosing to protest. I think the sitting is quite disrespectful, but it is their right to do so.
"resnor wrote:
And it's everyone's right to call then what they are: disrespectful. No one is arguing that they don't have the right to do it. They absolutely do. But sometimes you don't do what you have the right to do, out of respect for others. You find a different way of doing it.
Criticize Kap all you want. Dupree said "IMO calling for punishment or forcing them to stand is scary". Do you see the distinction, or are you willfully missing the point?
Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin
"Rick 1966 wrote:
MLK would be sickened by the so-called "leaders" of the BLM movement and the violence they've encouraged.
I do not agree with this version of MLK that gets peddled around.
Everything people are saying about BLM now, they said about MLK then.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
To me, the most bizarre thing to come out of all of this (and lets face it, its weird), is how for so many people, the flag ONLY means the military. The flag represents the nation, the government, the lands and the people. The insistance from so many that anything you say or do about the flag is directly related to the military is something thats beyond me.
Yup, and it's what most people can't seem to grasp. When Kaepernick did what he did, a lot of people came out and bashed him for being against the military and not appreciating the troops who gave him his freedom. Except his protest had nothing to do with that, and being an American gives him the right to protest how he pleases. In fact, at the next game, Kaepernick stood and applauded when they honored members of the military. It's just blind rage.
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
If it is just about disrespect, I wouldn't mention anything.
There is someone in this thread that wants the owners to take away their right to do so.
This is America. Where you have the right to offend and you have the right to be offended.
The owners own the team and set the terms of employment. The first amendment prohibits the government from limiting your right to free speech, it says NOTHING about private individuals or companies. Companies limit their employee's rights to free speech all the time. You sign non-disclosure agreements, you can't say certain things in public while on the job, you can't say offensive things or you might get fired. This is no different. If the owner of the team doesn't want them doing this or the NFL owners in general rule against it, they have no legal recourse and no civil recourse either since they signed the CBA.
"Rick 1966 wrote:
Yeah because anyone who disagrees with your interpretation MUST be evil. But liberals are the open-minded ones somehow...
The fact is, cops are people. Just as a certain percentage of people will be bad people, a certain percentage of cops will be bad people. Just as a certain percentage of people will suck at their job, a certain percentage of cops will suck at their job. The fact that there have been some cops who are poorly trained or just bad people who've done bad things doesn't mean that there's systemic prejudice against black people across the nation in dozens of police agencies.
White people get shot with little justification or mistakenly by cops all the time without massive protests or accusations of racism. Cops make mistake, but in general they got into their line of work to help people and attitudes being pushed by groups like BLM are doing nothing but discouraging people from getting into law enforcement and endangering the lives of the ones that are in that line of work.
Exactly, in the vast majority of the police shootings the person who got shot was not obeying the police. It's really not this hard, is it? But we have raised our children to be disrespectful to authority and have bestowed upon them a sense of entitlement. Our society is going downhill at a frightening pace.
Listen to the police, follow the law and you won't get shot. I guarantee it.
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
I do not agree with this version of MLK that gets peddled around.
I couldn't care less. MLK didn't encourage violence. He encouraged people protesting to be nonviolent even if they were beaten and jailed. BLM encourages violence.
"Shane Falco wrote:
Exactly, in the vast majority of the police shootings the person who got shot was not obeying the police. It's really not this hard, is it? But we have raised our children to be disrespectful to authority and have bestowed upon them a sense of entitlement. Our society is going downhill at a frightening pace.
Listen to the police, follow the law and you won't get shot. I guarantee it.
Shane Falco GUARANTEES it!
Do you have any self-awareness?
Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin
"Rick 1966 wrote:
I couldn't care less. MLK didn't encourage violence. He encouraged people protesting to be nonviolent even if they were beaten and jailed. BLM encourages violence.
No it doesn't. But that's cool. You need to believe that so you can tell yourself you're not a racist.
Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin
"GARDENHEAD wrote:
Shane Falco GUARANTEES it!
Do you have any self-awareness?
Sure.
I also guarantee that if I get pulled over I won't get shot.
Hasn't happened yet.
In fact, got pulled over twice this year, and neither time did I get a ticket?
Why? First, I didn't pull a gun. Second, I COMPLIED with the officers requests, and third, I was polite and respectful.
Those things are usually why somebody gets shot.
"Rick 1966 wrote:
I couldn't care less. MLK didn't encourage violence. He encouraged people protesting to be nonviolent even if they were beaten and jailed. BLM encourages violence.
Just like BLM, the people of the day did say that MLK encouraged violence.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
Issue #1:
Exercising the freedom that the military fought for is more respectful then feeling obligation or pressure to not exercise that freedom.
I appreciate all the military, but if they served for a piece of cloth instead of the freedoms and people that cloth represents then they served for the wrong reasons and that is on them them not me.
Issue #2:
There is absolutely still racism and social injustice going on in this country. The people that deny it or deny its severity are usually part of the reason the injustice and racism is happening. Its why there's a presidential candidate in this country who has not made a single policy proposal or platform plank that isn't based on racism, bigotry, misogyny and/or xenophobia.
Issue #3:
Yes cops are people. Yes most cops aren't evil. The ones that are are getting free passes however and whether that's institutional or not may be up for debate, what isn't arguable is that its wrong.
Issue #4:
The Venn diagram of people defending the cops and people who lean right, is basically one circle. Which is odd, because those are the people that tend to mistrust government and always suspect abuse of power. Its why they cling to the second amendment so hard....yet.....cops are killing unarmed American citizens to an alarming degree....and they are perfectly fine with it. Odd, wonder what the difference is...........
"Rick 1966 wrote:
The owners own the team and set the terms of employment. The first amendment prohibits the government from limiting your right to free speech, it says NOTHING about private individuals or companies. Companies limit their employee's rights to free speech all the time. You sign non-disclosure agreements, you can't say certain things in public while on the job, you can't say offensive things or you might get fired. This is no different. If the owner of the team doesn't want them doing this or the NFL owners in general rule against it, they have no legal recourse and no civil recourse either since they signed the CBA.
The CBA prohibits them to do so.
Plus it is unAmerican for the owners to set those rules.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
This thread is locked.