1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erik Frenz: Tannehill emerging from '12 rookie pack

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Caught a glimpse of this and thought I'd share a sample. Supplied link will probably not work until it is officially posted. This is a fine read showing solid examples of Tannehill's capabilities.

Link: HERE

2. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I got a little wood on that play.

3. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    We all can't have two inches of dangling fury with a pile-driving butt-hole! :knucks:

4. Oghma

Oghma Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Scotland
    Looks worth a read, any idea when it's going to be available?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

5. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    7AM EST I gather.

Oghma likes this.
  6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

7. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    :lol: Sorry, man. Was merely implying that I had "two inches of dangling fury......."

My brother says that all of the time, and it's hilarious! Not meant to be uncouth or towards you; although I see it now. Joking via typed word does not always come across as intended.....

[​IMG]

Da 'Fins likes this.
  8. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This play is an excellent example of what Aaron Rodgers was talking about in an article from a year ago or so. The pass concept and coverage dictates where the ball is going. Notice the safety rolling his coverage to the strong side of the formation, leaving Mike Wallace in one on one coverage. Ryan sees this in his presnap look and knows that Mike will be where he goes with the ball before he snaps it. There is probably a built in sight adjustment as well. If Cromartie is playing tight, I bet they have Wallace run a go route. With him playing off, it is a slant. The numbers show that Ryan gets the ball out quicker than any other quarterback in the league.

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    KB looking back at that draft, where would you have taken each QB knowing what you know now?

Some say Wilson first, but IMO he isn't asked to carry his team or do the things Luck and Tannehill do.

10. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Good question. You know what's interesting? Wilson's coordinator in Seattle is Darrell Bevell, who was Mike Sherman's quarterbacks coach in Green Bay. So, the two teams are running similar base offenses. Seattle obviously emphasizes the run more while Miami emphasizes spreading the field.

From a metrics standpoint, I would take Russell Wilson. I agree that he's not being asked to carry his team the way Ryan and Andrew have been asked. I think when you combine the metrics and the physical talent of the player, I'd still take Andrew Luck #1.

11. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    WHOAH now. I thought safeties always always followed Mike Wallace around...:wink2:

But seriously...Tannehill is our guy. No doubt in my mind. The question for me is whether Sherman is the long-term OC to keep with Tannehill. On the one hand, I kind of hate his play design sometimes; on the other, Tannehill has clearly made strides under him. So do you risk possibly stunting his growth with his first new OC going all the way to college? Tough call, imo.

Tannehill's gonna make a statement this weekend against our division leaders. This is our time.

Bpk likes this.
  12. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008

Clearly those photos are wrong. They must have been photoshopped. That's Mike Wallace on the bottom of the field. The safeties can't be rolled to the other side of the field. They have to be on Wallace's side crapping their pants while quivering in fear of the possibility that he goes deep. Everyone knows that if a S is 20 yards off the LOS it has to be because of Mike Wallace and only Mike Wallace.

13. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    I was waiting for this post or something like it... saw it coming. :lol:

14. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    There's probably a 12th guy on the field the Jets slipped in there and he's 30 yards down the field.

Steve-Mo, unluckyluciano and Fineas like this.
  15. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't think anyone has argued that Wallace impacts the safety every play. If they have, they are wrong. I think its equally silly to say he never impacts the safety though.

16. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Wow, look at how Brian Hartline is changing coverages!

unluckyluciano likes this.
  17. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Type of respect Brian Hartline commands.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  18. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I was not very impressed with the way Tannehill had played for the first half of the season. But he has really stepped his game up lately. Hopefully the trend continues.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  19. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    A lot of people have argued that any indication fo the deep safety being on Wallace's side or any movement by the safety to Wallace's side of the field is out of fear/respect for Wallace.

The free safety is generally in zone coverage. The vast majority of coverage schemes either have multiple DBs covering deep zones or one centerfielder S positioned deep in the middle of the field. When there are multiple deep zones, by definition the DBs playing them are tasked with defending the zone and not any particular receiver. When there is one deep safety, his job is to help on any deep pass, no matter who the WR is. Sometimes the deep safety is rolled to the strong side. It happens that Wallace is almost always on the right side of the dolphins offense, which happens to usually be the strong side. Defenses are playing the coverage schemes they have in their playbooks -- they are not creating newfangled schemes specially for Mike Wallace.

20. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008

Yeah, it was low hanging fruit. But low hanging fruit can be just as sweet.

Finrunner likes this.
  21. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Brian hartline, Charles clay, AND rishard. Kind of shows the length we have to go through to get Wallace in single coverage.

Bpk likes this.
  22. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That looks like triple coverage to me.

23. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Seems like all you need to do is let the formation dictate it.

24. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I really agreed with the article's point that having about three potential runs called for RT a game and the freedom (and decision ) to scramble a couple of times a game would make RT's job much easier and the D's job much more difficult.

In the Wallace slant it was notable b/c they didn't have a S over the top or anybody in position to provide help. It doesn't happen most of the time. I remember a play that CK highlighted where Wallace inexplicably stopped on the same route leading to an incompletion. I've lamented that RT hasn't taken advantage of the big cushions often enough this season. There have been many situations where I felt he could have called a smoke (quick pass on a called run play) that would have netted an easy 5 yards minimum and maybe more just due to how much space the CB was giving up.

MrClean and Bpk like this.
  25. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    That was against Carolina. He stopped on a slant route where he coverage was behind him. Ryan threw a slant. Mike ran something between a slant and a hitch. The result was a near interception.

rafael likes this.
  26. jsizzle

jsizzle Banned

Jan 3, 2012
    Nice to see the kid starting to get some love from the media!

27. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The media and most fans just tend to look at wins. If Miami had made the playoffs (exact same level of play, but a couple of more favorable calls or bounces) then RT would get a lot more love. Actually you can say that about everybody on the team, Ireland, Philbin, the assistant coaches and the other players. Everybody would be seen more favorably with that on their resume. It wouldn't matter whether they were actually any better. The perception would be different.

ElNino likes this.
  28. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

One of my biggest concerns with Tannehill was whether he'd be clutch… I love this quote:

He is really changing my mind about him in clutch situations. Would love to know how that stat of 50% scores inside of 2 minutes compares to the top QBs in the league, and the other 2012 draft class QBs.

dolfan22 and Rhody Phins Fan like this.
  29. Bpk

I know you're joking a bit, but it did get me thinking.

When you don't play a safety over Wallace, it forces the DB to play a big fusion on Wallace, and pretty much concedes a short 5-7 yard pass to us. I love that. That's what speed can get you. A slower receiver like Bess would not have gotten a cushion, and not been gifted short yards.

The other upside is that Wallace can occasionally turn a slant into a big play with his speed.

30. Bpk

I think his point was that this was done on purpose. And you essentially agree, because the coaches choose the formations and game plan. It doesn't just happen spontaneously and 'get dictated'. It's actually a conscious choice.

So, in that regard, the coaches (on that play) overloaded a sideband made the defense pick their poison: cover Wallace with no safety, or have inadequate deep coverage for three possible deep threats.

31. Bpk

I somewhat agree. But those bounces, imo, are not luck. They are about whether your team created an opportunity for something good to happen or an opportunity for something bad to happen. I think wins-losses tell most of the tale.

Now, referees calls are a different story.

32. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    exactly.

33. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    That's really not true. The cushion a DB gives at the snap is not necessarily correlated the WRs speed. A lot of factors go into that. On most of the plays that have been discussed on here oon the issue of Wallace's impact on the other WRs, the guys covering Hartline has given a bigger cushion than the guy covering Wallace.

Some examples:

[​IMG]

They are giving Hartline a bigger cushion than they are giving Wallace.

[​IMG]

Same thing above. The cushion on Hartline is bigger than the cushion on Wallace.

34. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    philn when asked, is very happy with our two minute offense.

35. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, but on those plays, though the S is playing straight in front of the QB, he is also closer to Wallace's side and could more easily get to Wallace than get to Hartline. Hartline appears to be split out wider. It may be the photo.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  36. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I can't believe that people in this thread actually used THAT PHOTO to argue that Mike Wallace "has no impact" on coverages.

Just Hilarious.

All I ask is that people THINK before trying to be funny or "claim" that they are going to go after low hanging fruit.

37. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Mike Sherman said vs San Diego Mike Wallace had an excellent game. Mike had 43 yards receiving, Sherman explained how Wallace's presence dictated coverages that created mismatches in other areas of the offense.

Our OC said this. Kinda holds some water if you ask me.

But carry on trolls, you makin me giggle.

Section126, MrClean and Sceeto like this.
  38. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008

The S is playing on the hash, directly across from the ball. That's how the coverage is designed -- it is not a Mike Wallace thing. And obviously, the S doesn't stay where he is at the snap. Sometimes a S lines up short and retreats to the deep zone. Sometimes he lines up deep and comes in to a shallower zone while another DB takes the deep zone. Sometimes he starts on one side fo the field and immediately moves laterally to the center of his zone.

39. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    There is nothing in that photo that suggests any special effect by Wallace. The cushion on Hartline is bigger and you can see that same basic alignment in dozens of generic zone defense schematics. Teams played similar alignments against us last year without Wallace.

But I'm certainly more than curious to be enlightened by you as to how that particular defensive alignment is only played against Mike Wallace.

40. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    And Wallace scoffed at that comment by Sherman. Yes, there's all kind of coachspeak out there about stretching defenses, etc., but there is little substance to it.