1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN: Cincinnati Bengals At Green Bay Packers

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by alen1, Aug 11, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That game will be on tonight at 8 PM Eastern Time. I guess you can call this the official game thread.

2. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Yes I am looking forward to seeing what Aaron Rodgers the savior can do and if the Packers are on the road to being the laughing stock of the NFL for years to come or if they will look like geniuses. :yes:

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Just curious, what do you think about Rodgers? How do you think he will pan out? I know you were a Favre supporter so I'm interested on your opinion of Rodgers.

4. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Where did you ever get the idea I supported Favre. :wink2:

In all seriousness with Rodgers I am like everyone else...the jury is out. He could be the next big thing but he could also be the next big bust. He seems to have all the physical tools to do it but at 6' 2'' he is a little short. His real problem/victory lies in two things. The first is following up Favre; can you imagine the pressure that is on him now knowing that he has to be better not as good as but better than Favre for the fans to forget about Favre and accept him. Then he also has the pressure of knowing that the franchise has put all their hopes on him as well. So for a rookie QB (which he basically is) this guy has more pressure than anyone in the league and if he can't handle it he's done. The positive thing is that he plays in the NFC which will help him in his quest to out do Favre.

I don't like or dislike Rodgers as only time will reveal that to me. However Rodgers right now isn't as good as Favre. So that is where I get that Favre would still be my starter in GB. Really does anyone think that Rodgers can be as good as Favre arguably the best QB of all time, will lightning really strike twice; its highly doubtful but possible I guess.

My final verdict is a hung jury and I will watch Rodgers and go from there. I wish him well though.

Did you like that alen? :wink2:

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, I like all opinions as long as they're supported lol.

I think Rodgers will have trouble trying to impress the Green Bay fans because they are such a pain it seems. Rodgers can be a good Quarterback in my opinion, I thought he showed his talents in last years Thanksgiving Day's game against the Cowboys. I don't think the height will be a problem for him though.

I don't think he'll ever follow up in Favre's shoes but I think he will be a good Quarterback for Green Bay if he can withstand the pressure on the field and off the field.

6. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I agree with all of that. Once again a situation where a possible argument or an argument ends up in agreement. :wink2:

However I can't let you off that easy....you want to bring in Chris Henry are you mad. I understand the whole low risk high reward but he would basically be a waste of space for another WR as he will eventually probably get suspended for trouble with authorities. You can support Henry but not Favre tisk tisk tisk. :wink2:

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Haha, I knew someone would get me for that. Henry makes this struggling core of receivers better. He's a big guy who can be that red zone target and can actually catch the ball. He's all ready suspended four games but one thing to point out in his long rap sheet is that he has not been convicted of any crimes. Give him a one-year deal with minimum salary. I think with the strong leadership that is here in Miami, they can help him shape up his character. If he refuses to, you just simply cut him and move on. :up:

Btw, I really like the Bengals all white uniforms.

8. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I love arguing with you alen but you always get me to at least half-way agree in the end. :lol:

And yes those unis are nice and is it just me or is Tony Kornheiser really annoying. I mean next to Greg Gumble he is the worst sports caster I've heard with his bad jokes. I love Kornheiser on PTI but on Monday Night Football he annoys me.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol: :woot:

I hate Kornheiser. I can't understand how he got that job. He doesn't know anything about football. Btw, I love hearing Jaworski talk. I could do without the accent he has or whatever it is but he's so intelligent.

Games starting! :woot:

:woot: they're cheering for Aaron.

10. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Yeah I've got it on DVR to watch a little later. Glad the hear he is doing well though. Keep me updated though. :lol:

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    My god, Donald Driver just trucked a Defensive Back lol. Another amazing play by James Jones. Touchdown Packers. Rodgers looks good out there.

12. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    How good...say rate him as another QB in the league.

13. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Ted Thompson looks like a psycho!!!! ESPN cut to the booth, and Ted is staring at the field like a madman. He seriously creeps me out.

14. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    better than anyone on the Dolphins.

15. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well that's not hard to do. :lol:

BTW it is the preseason though remember that is the land of the likes of Bruce Gradkowski.

That being said I still hope the best for Rodgers but I know the preseason only shows about 50% of how good a player will actually be. We should know that from last preseason being 2-2 and finishing the season 1-15. So for me the jury will not be officially in until about a quarter of the way through the season on Rodgers. The preseason gives me a good gauge however.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ugh, I can't compare him to another QB lol. I'll say this though, he looked comfortable in the pocket, stepping up from pressure. He can be good on play action because he's got some mobility.

17. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I didn't even know this was on tonight.

How did the first-string Packers offense look? I'm primarily concerned about Donald Driver.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'll just give you a quick summary of the first string offense.

Grant was absent tonight as well as Scott Wells, the starting Center. The offensive line looked good as they were opening up holes for Grant's replacement, Brandon Jackson. Jackson hit the whole hard and looked very good to me. Rodgers looked good out there, looked comfortable in the pocket. He made some nice deep throws and a few curls to Jones and Driver. Driver looked good tonight, was pumped for the game. He completely ran over a defensive back, I believe it was Marvin White. he caught some nice passes and looked like he usually does.

Any other questions lol?

Desides likes this.
  19. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    They looked really good I thought, and that includes Driver.

Desides likes this.
  20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yes; have they given Driver the looks and targets befitting a #1 WR? I really need to know his hierarchy in the GB offense. My chances of beating Aqua depend on it. :wink2:

21. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :tantrum:

:pity:

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol. Greg Jennings was out so it was hard to tell with him not being there. James Jones was in his place and got some nice catches in there. Rodgers did seem to look to Driver a lot without Jennings there.

Desides likes this.
  23. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    How can you beat aqua I thought he was unbeatable. :wink2:

BTW I saw on the first two drives Rodgers took two sacks and had an interception...but they weren't his fault.

BTW I thought the Bengals 1st String Defense looked good which is a great sign for that team...however it is the preseason.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's his league, not the two I made. He's beatable there, but my receivers have taken a huge hit; Smith is suspended, Engram got hurt.

25. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    For those who didn't watch, the Bengals offense was sloppy the first series or two. Their running game was good especially Chris Perry. He's back from injury and looks really good. Palmer was pretty good, like I said sloppy in the first series but finished up with a touchdown to Ben Utecht I believe it was. He looks like a nice acquisition and looks to be a big part of their offense. Chad Johnson didn't do much or at least I don't recall him doing much. The defense did not look that good. They got picked apart by Rodgers and they had very poor tackling. Their rushing defense was weak as well. I know its only first pre-season game but they did not look too good out there.

26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    :cry:

There goes another shot at beating Aqua.

27. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Now I am watching the game with about 6 mins left in the first quarter but the Bengals Defense is looking good.

Ha I loved the Favre Wrangler commercial during the primetime first preseason game without Favre for the Packers.

28. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Well he is coming off of ankle surgery. He'll be fine come season opener. No worries D.

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wait till Brandon Jackson wakes up lol.

30. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    That James Jones TD was awesome. Knocked his helmet off and everything.

BTW Alen I am seeing where you were talking about poor tackling. The Bengals aren't wrapping up they are just trying to level guys.

31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, that was a good looking touchdown by Jones.

Yeah, you figured that with Lewis there they could do something with that defense. I can't recall who their defensive coordinator is, I think its the former Browns coordinator but whatever he's does is not working. Peko completely missed Brandon Jackson in the backfield on one play. They looked bad out there when attempting to tackle.

Btw, talk is that Ray Lewis gave some advice to Marvin Lewis this off-season and now has Lewis pumped about this season with high expectations. Wonder how it turns out if they win that division lol. They certainly can win it with Pittsburgh's tough schedule. I think Pittsburgh is looking at eight or nine wins. Cincinnati can sneak up on some people and win that division if the Browns have a bad stretch during the season.

32. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Trouble with the Bengals is that they have no scouting department. In the offseason the assistant coaches become the scouts.

33. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I honestly am starting to think that it will still be Cleveland and Pittsburgh in that division. Its early but I am even going so far to say that Cleveland will steal the division.

BTW I just saw Palmer's declining QB rating over the past 3 years and I was shocked by that. I didn't think Carson had dropped like that.

Poor Brohm :pity:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Interesting, wasn't aware of that.

Yeah, they seem to be the favorites but I think Cincinnati can sneak up on them if they have a running game. I think Rudi is getting back to being healthy and Chris Perry is back now. Perry made some big contributions for them when they won the 11 games a couple years ago and got their playoff birth.

Yeah, that was odd. I didn't expect it. It was something like 101.3 to 92. something and then 86.7 ? He also had a career high 20 INT's last year, the most since his rookie year I think when he had 18.

35. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I don't doubt that Cincy could do it because the Ravens are the only ones that I would count out in that division. If Cincy can get some defense then they definitely have a chance. However I just think Pittsburgh and Cleveland have a little better team. Cleveland still makes me nervous so Cincy could catch them if Cleveland was a one hit wonder.

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think they can do it with a okay defense. The running game will be key imo. Without a running game, Palmer is forced to make throws and ends up turning the ball over as it was shown last year with his career high in interceptions.

Pittsburgh plays the toughest schedule I believe and they have some offensive line issues.

Cleveland can be a good team if Anderson can limit his mistakes imo. If he throws a bunch of interceptions then they may have trouble. Also, they have a inexperienced secondary. They have Eric Wright back there who played in a handful of games last year and then they have a second year player in Brandon McDonald starting opposite of Wright. They have been impressive in camp but I don't think they have any depth. Holly went down with an injury earlier this off-season and is out for the season I think.

37. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I agree but we are still playing ifs and buts at this point. Personally right now I think the ifs and buts in Pittsburgh and Cleveland will end up being less problematic than in Cincy. I mean Cincy has to find a starting defense not just depth but a starting defense. Right now I wouldn't lay any money on Cincy to win the division but I wouldn't be shocked if they won it because it is possible.

38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Every team's expectations will have "ifs" and "buts". :yes:

Their defense isn't all that bad to be honest with you. I don't know what happen tonight but if you look toward the end of last season (I want to say the last 4 to 6 games but I'm not sure), they're pass defense got very good. Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall were good out there. Hall had 5 picks as a rookie, setting the Bengals rookie record. Not only that though, they only allowed one pass over 20 yards. As for their run defense, they do need to work on that. One guy that they will miss bad is Safety Chinedum Ndukwe, who came in last year as a rookie out of Notre Dame and won the starting job. He makes things happen. Keith Rivers was a nice addition through the draft. He's a fast and intelligent player (he went to my high school :D). I expect their pass defense to be good and they're run defense to improve.

39. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    All valid points and although their defense may very well improve will it improve to the level of Pittsburgh's and Cleveland's or even the Ravens?

Cleveland has the total package right now and the Steelers got scary on offense after Ben's 32TD campaign last year and with a backfield of Parker and Mendenhall.

I agree Cincy can win this division though.

If I were to update my expectations of this division I would say:

Cleveland 10-6* win division because of best division record (split with Pitt 1-1)
    Pittsburgh 10-6
    Cincy 8-8
    Baltimore 6-10

40. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's a good point. I don't think they will be as good as "Blitzburgh", Cleveland and Baltimore. But I do think that they will improve.

I wouldn't say that Cleveland has the total package imo. They have the offensive weapons but Anderson has to limit his mistakes. On defense, they got a good front seven but Jenkins, who was acquired from the Packers, is having trouble at the end spot. He is struggling with the new position from what I hear. They still have a lack of depth at the Cornerback spot. I do like their Safeties though.

For the Steelers, I think its up to the offensive line to protect Roethlisberger. If they fail to do that, they may have trouble. On defense, they lost Clark Haggans to Arizona and have replaced him with Lamarr Woodley. I'm interested to see how he does there. Polamalu needs to stay healthy for them. They do have a tough schedule as mentioned before.

Nice predictions, I'll say:

Cleveland - 10-6
    Cincinnati - 9-7
    Steelers - 8-8
    Ravens - 5-11

Cincinnati having a better record than Steelers, that's my surprise pick.