1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN & SI's Take On The Dolphins RB's

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by alen1, Sep 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Sports Illustrated was ranking the NFL's Best Running Back-by-Committee's and they included the Dolphins two-headed duo of Brown and Williams. Here's what they had to say:

I think its a fair ranking but it could also be better. The duo's ahead of Brown and Williams include Julius Jones & Maurice Morris, Michael Turner & Norwood and LenDale White & Chris Johnson. I understand that Ronnie Brown has trouble staying healthy but Michael Turner isn't proven as a starting RB and Norwood is not better than Brown or Williams imo. Looking at Julius Jones & Maurice Morris, an earlier report this off-season said that Jones was getting beaten out by Justin Forsett for the number two job in Seattle. Either way, I don't think those two are better than our guys. The last one is White and Johnson. Johnson is a rookie. He is explosive and can make things happen but is a rookie as mentioned. White is lazy. He did have some nice numbers last year but I don't think he's better than the Ricky and Ronnie. Looking at the ranking, I said it was fair but it could have been better. The reasons that it could have been better are above. The reason it is also a fair ranking is because Ronnie can not stay healthy and nobody knows what to expect from Ricky Williams, despite his impressive showing this off-season and pre-season.

Moving on, ESPN was ranking their AFC breakout stars and one of them mentioned was Ronnie Brown. This is what they had to say about Brown:

I'm not sure if Ronnie Brown breaks out this year. I did a report earlier this off-season that showed the average numbers posted by Running Back's coming off of ACL surgeries. It was an average of 236 carries for approximately 905 yards. The last time Ronnie Brown split carries with Ricky Williams, he posted 907 yards rushing on 207 carries I think it was. I don't know what to expect from Ronnie this year, especially coming off the surgery. He is going to have to take some time to get back to where he was, it may not even happen this year. With him sharing the ball, I don't understand how he can be a breakout player. I'm not expecting 1400 yards rushing from him.

I put the last sentence in bold for a specific reason. I am not sure how many of you recall but a few months ago, ESPN wrote a piece on Running Backs and mentioned that Ronnie Brown didn't have that great of hands for a back or something like that. Now, it looks like they have changed their opinions.

MrClean, Ludacris, brandon27 and 3 others like this.
  2. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I think Miami has the two backs that have proven the most in NFL playing time compared to those ahead of them but the big IF this season is if Brown's knee & Williams drug testing will go 100% - I expect if both Ronnie & Ricky return to the form that they have flashed in the past this will be a runaway for the #1 running tandem in the league this season.

3. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    That's rubbish. They are both 100% now and is head and shoulders better than any RB tandem. The rest don't even come close.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't know if Ronnie is 100% healthy physically and mentally but I concur with the rest of your statement.

5. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Yeah, i could be jumping the gun on that one but boy he ran hard against the Saints. Another week rest and i think he is business. Hahaha even if ronnie is 80%, R&R is still better than the others :)

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

Ah, that's ok. I think that the two are better than the others despite Ronnie not being fully healthy as you said.

7. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Truth be told, every one of those teams would take Ricky/Ronnie over what they have. Not being a homer, but come on, these two guys are arguably both in the top 10 for most talented backs, and they're in the same backfield, don't know how they're not number one. But hey, like I said, not only will other teams salivate at our combo, us Dolfans know the truth, that it doesn't get any better than these two.

Ludacris likes this.
  8. Drowning

Drowning ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Dec 20, 2007
    Ronnie Brown has yet to finish a full 16 game season in his young career (bad draft year for Tiger toughness). In my opinion, Brown looked quicker, more instinctual, and less hesitant than Williams did all preseason. And the one handed over the head reach grab of a badly thrown pass despite the cast/thumb, puts the icing on the cake for me.

I've always believed, and stated with prejudice, that Ronnie Brown will never be as dominating a running back as Williams was in his prime. The aforementioned ability to be a great reciever though, makes Brown just as dangerous a weapon.

Brown still takes his sweet time to get into a game which has always been & probably will continue to be his achilies heel. But I think if the cast is ready to come off, Brown is ready to start. I'd spell Brown early and often with Williams until Brown gets into his rythm. If Penington can continue to show that astounding ability to take every single yard given to him underneath and keeps us in 3rd and short situations, we are going to be extremely efficient at pounding the heck out of the football.

The optimum longterm scenario for us as far as this duo is concerned would be Brown showing beyond a reasonable doubt that he is and will continue to remain fully healed on that ACL, Williams continuing to flash the ability that once made him the most promising back in the NFL, some playoff bound team hit by an untimely tragic season ending injury at the position, and it all falling into place right before the deadline so that said team can overpay for an unreliable, old, and last year of his contract remaining Risky Williams.

I'd like to see more of Parmalee myself.

alen1 likes this.
  9. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Turner & Norwood I would put ahead, but not the other 2. The only real question on Turner & Norwood is whether their OL can be of any help to them, but they both have home-run potential. Anytime either touch the rock they have the ability to take it all the way.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Kinda surprised to hear that. Turner has 238 career carries and 11 receptions. This will be his first year as a starter in the league and is expecting 300 carries. Turner is a talented player but I don't know how much toll he can take. We saw Chester Taylor go to Minnesota to be the top back for a year and was beaten up bad. He was successful but couldn't take the punishment. While Turner does out weigh Taylor by 31 pounds, I still have questions regarding him and the offensive line in front of him as you mentioned. Both do have home-run potential on any given play but I don't find Norwood to be talented as Ricky or Ronnie.

The theme of the article was the best Running Back-by-committee and without being a homer here, I don't understand how they can put anyone over Ronnie. Ricky has had 6 carries the last two years but looked good in pre-season. Ricky is one of the greatest talents to ever come in this league, despite his struggles in the past. Ronnie Brown is one of the most talented backs out there as well. Ronnie is coming back. He may not be fully healthy but is still a better player than Norwood imo.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    How that aticle was published is beyond belief considering they left out 1 commitee thats #2 behind ricky .
    and ronnie and thats adrian peterson and chester taylor

R & R is the best two headed monster in the NFL.

Ludacris and alen1 like this.
  12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Completely forgot about them DJ, good call.

13. dolfaniss

dolfaniss Junior Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I would go as far as to say that if you ranked the AFC East RB's we'd have 1 and 2 on our roster.

Ludacris likes this.
  14. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    It was also in the article.

15. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    I know he is a rookie, but watch out for Kevin Smith paired with Rudi Johnson. You central Florida guys know how good Smith is

16. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    dont think rudi has much in the tank

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He is very talented but I don't see them becoming a big duo just yet.

He may not but he's splitting carries so it won't be a big deal for him.

18. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    This is a fantasy football article. I think they're looking at it from an even split perspective.

Otherwise we'd need to see Chester Taylor/A.P., Fred Taylor/Jones-Drew, Mendenhall/Willie Parker, even McAllister/Bush.

19. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I definitely disagree with ESPN's RBBC rankings. I don't know what the heck they're thinking, putting LenWhale White and Chris Johnson on the list at all. White's dedication and work ethic are questionable, and he basically just runs forward and falls down. Chris Johnson should steal his job easily, turning it into a 1-back approach. Turner is talented but unproven, and Norwood hasn't done anything. They can definitely earn their place on the list, but no way that duo is #2. And, Julius Jones and Maurice Morris? Don't make me laugh. Jones is the least descriptive running back I've ever seen. Morris is a good #2, but the combo won't scare many people.

Love the placement of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. Definitely belongs on the list, and they really are just behind us. Carolina will have an amazing offense this year. Good thing, too; they're going to have to run as much as possible to keep the Saints' offense off the field.

Also, am I the only person who thinks that "20 Bold Predictions" section is comedy?

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Doh! Your right. :sad:

Man, it was starting to make a pretty good discussion too.

21. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl

wouldnt mind seeing jax in the SB over NE though.

22. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They won't get there. And for how many years has Dallas been expected to get into the Super Bowl? I love how everyone's writing off the Chargers, Packers, the entirety of the NFC South, and the entirety of the AFC North.

Dallas won't make the Super Bowl. Jacksonville won't either. Neither will New England.

23. SkapePhin

SkapePhin sigpicz.blogspot.com

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    Ricky = Comeback Player of the Year

At least I hope so..

mullingan and Crappy Tipper like this.
  24. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008

I could see it happening and I hope it does.

25. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    It will be him or Kris Jenkins.