1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(ESPN) Who would you rather have: Pennington or Favre?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by keypusher, Oct 27, 2008.

1. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Disnardo, Crappy Tipper and Themole like this.
  2. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    interesting article. I am really surprised at how Penny leads Favre in all categories except TDs. He's doing this with a very mediocre receiving corps too. Go Fins!

PMZQ likes this.
  3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I'd rather have Pennington.

To me it boils down to this:

Favre takes shots. Pennington makes decisions.

One isn't necessarily better.. taking shots can open up the underneath passes.. but I'd rather have Pennington personally.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Well, its going to sound homerish, but I would take Pennington with this team.

Pennington gave us an identity and became the teams leader overnight.

The Jets are still searching for an identity and I don't really think you can call Farve a leader on that team

This quote from the Dolphins Digest article (First & 10 with Chad Pennington) says it all.

Question: Was there something that sold you on the Dolphins?

Answer: I would say the number one thing was having a chance to compete for the starting job, and number two would be the chance to help build a foundation. I think that's one of my strong points as a veteran player. I understand how to win and what it takes to be a true professional, and I take great pride in that. I take that as one of my roles, to help younger guys.

5. dolphinsgirl

dolphinsgirl New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Central PA
    No brainer for me...Pennington. Age difference aside, I think Favre takes too many chances. That can be a double edged sword.

6. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    That's a trick question, Favre's career ended years ago. :up:

7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think what the article was trying to say (in a backward sense) is that Penny has meant more to the Fins than Favre has meant to the Jests...anyone with half a brain would pick Favre over Penny every day of the week and twice on Sundays, given what we know about both...I don't think that we'd be too much worse off with Favre here instead of Penny, but we needed a bona fide NFL caliber QB and Penny was our answer...

fins4o8 likes this.
  8. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Favre turned his situation into a media circus, with GBs help of course. Pennington handled his release and his situation with far more tact and dignity.
    He is the leader of this team and has taken a mistake prone offense, one of the league leaders and helped turn it into a league leader for fewest turnovers.
    Pennington as a NY Jet took a lot of bashing and insults over the years from Dolphin fan sites but its pretty obvious that he is much better than anything we have had in a long time in Miami. I don't think you could find anyone much better for a good rookie QB to learn from.
    The Dolphins obviously didn't make the right decision when we had the opportunity to get Drew Brees but I am glad they got Pennington when he became available.

sgtphin, keypusher and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  9. TheMageGandalf

TheMageGandalf Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    FLORIDA
    Favre's decline is advancing with each game.

I am happy with Pennington because weak arm and all, he's still got some juice left after this season while Favre might have a great game here and there, for the most part, he's pretty much finished within the next year or so.

The Jets lost some decent picks in getting him so that will help us out long run!

10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm taking favre ... if I can control him. That's the problem with Favre, reign him in and he's gold. Look at last year.

11. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Favre is a "me first" player, I would much rather have Pennington here over Favre.

Sure Favre has more TDs, but we also have the running back who is tied for 2nd with the most TDs.

12. dolphindiehard

dolphindiehard Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Stoney Creek, ON
    From what we have heard from Penny and about him and his smarts as well as his work habits, I think he is the right choice for Miami at the right time as he sounds like he will be a better mentor (how to minimize mistakes) for Henne than Favre would be. It would be nice if Henne turns into a bit of both players. The arm of Favre and the smarts of Pennington.

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What this tells me is that both are good to upper good level starting NFL Quarterbacks, both have made their teams better.

But bird in hand better then one in the bush, I'd take CP, he has done good work for us with a below average receiving corps, the only real plus to me is Favre is so durable, that would tilt the balance "but" we did not have to give up draft choices for Pennington, that is a major plus.

14. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Favre is a team killer. He will light it up for awhile, and then just kill you with a game like he had against NYG in the playoffs. Or against Dallas.

Not to mention he had some great talent surrounding him in GB. Driver and Jennings are superb recievers, Grant gave them a steady running game and they had a top OL.

Now for the Jets, the recievers are a step below, Jones is not a consistent runner and the OL isnt quite as good.

Also, before last season Favre had been declining pretty steadily. I think last year was more an abberation and this year he returns to form so to speak and continues the decline. He will throw a few TDs to be sure, but watch the number of rushing TDs and attempts in the red zone for them ... it wont be high.
    Also, watch his redzone INT numbers, and INTs in general. He trys to make plays, and while that can be a good thing, quite often with him its a disaster. Even if they make it to the playoffs, he WILL kill that team at some point, there is no question in my mind.

15. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    If its from both of their primes then i say favre, if its right now i say penny.

16. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

another great reason.

just to turn the thread. if they have to give up a pick do you guys still think they go for CP or would it be between mccown, henne and beck?

17. BrazForPhins

BrazForPhins From south

May 4, 2008
    I'd take CP over any of the other QB's in the league right now.

I know that sounds crazy, but I've been waiting for a 100 rating QB since 1998. He clicked with our offense, that's enough for me.

I wouldn't try any change unless his contract expires or he retires.

18. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Favre would have cost us a draft pick an a buttload of money. Penny was free and has a reasonable contract. We aren't going to the SB this season with either one. I'll take Penny.

19. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Some are straying from the point.
    ......"- Did the New York Jets really need to trade for Brett Favre?

Maybe not."......
    This is the point of the article.
    The point Graham is trying to make is that the Jets discarded Pennington prematurely. They didn't need to chase after Favre. Pennington has done quite well elsewhere (in Miami) with less talent to work with. Furthermore the writer suggests that the Jets would quite probably be doing as well if not better had they kept Pennington and let Favre sign somewhere else.
    Me, I say too bad. I'm happy it worked out the way it did.
    Having a QB with a 100+ rating is pretty unfamiliar territory for us. I like it too.

calphin, sgtphin and texanphinatic like this.
  20. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    I'm with you the answer is no!!!

The people running the Jets will be shown the door before to long.Because they have over and over again made very unsound football decisions.

Their coach is a'lot like some Miami dolfan's in the since they want the big arm.Thats one thing when your a fan, and when you go and see your team play and you want to see the long ball all day,,,,,,,,,,,, but very different when your job rides on it.

Eric Mangini had been trying to run CP out of New York for years and in doing so " that along with 10 other things" will soon cost him his job.

CP has been a better QB then BF has been in the NFL since he's been starting back in 2002.

So what if Chad Pennington can't make all the throws, and Brett can.Brett has been starting in the nfl since 1992 and he still hasn't learned you can't make all the throws all the time.

And to top it off Brett's a prima dona crybaby, who wants to be around that really.....?

late again likes this.
  21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Pennington wont cost you a game most of the time, Favre will

funkdat likes this.
  22. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

chad is the best qb we have had since Marino:up:

late again and funkdat like this.
  23. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    But it is not last year and its a different Offensive Scheme, and personnel...

24. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Including INTs. :shifty:

25. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Plus Pennington is playing better than Danny was in his last years; probably since the mid 90's...just my own opinion.

26. dolphans1

dolphans1 New Member

Oct 15, 2008
    With the Jets at 4-3 and us at 3-4, and to think we could have beat the Jets at home, its a toss up.

With us we are looking for a consistent QB, the Jets were looking for an upgrade and the question to ask is, did the Jets really get one?

Brett Favre is a winner, he's tough and consistent and has 1 Super Bowl and should have gone last year and who knows.

Because of the above, the edge has to go to Favre, but the season is long and it seems as if the Dolphins are improving as the season progresses.....

d-1

27. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    lol...scall13 replied to it...

28. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    The Giants kicked the Packers up and down the field last year. No way should Green Bay have been in that Super Bowl.

And despite getting their rear ends kicked all game, they still had a chance to win that game and Favre ruined it for the team. He lost that game for them.

29. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Favre is 38 years old and has already retired once. Going into the season he'd had one good year out of the last three. On top of that he commanded a high salary and draft picks. There's no way the pre-season edge goes to Favre.

As for this year, you have to look at more than the record b/c the by most accounts the Jets provided a better supporting cast and were not bringing in a whole new coaching staff and a whole new system. Despite that CP has out-performed Favre. I wanted nothing to do with Favre doing the off-season and seven games in that opinion seems even more justified.