EURO 2024 and Copa America 2024 Championships

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Claymore95, May 22, 2024.

1. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Everyone always hates a player like that, or someone who winds up your own players until they react and get a yellow/red or give away a penalty...and then they play for your team, do the same, and you love them :laughy:

2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah, he was great. part of when I started watching LFC again, that was close to the year we acquired him. way back in 2011. for the record, i've always been an LFC supporter, just that the games weren't LIVE on TV in the US until around that time. But yeah, Suarez was a fantastic player... then came the World Cup where he took a bite out of Chiellini and he was already on his way out of the club (to Barcelona).

3. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    wtf are Spain doing starting Navas at right back? he's 38 and guarding Mbappe. I know he's 2nd choice, and their regular is out due to yc accumulation, but wow, they don't have a better option?

4. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Lamine Yamal with an absolute worldie..

Lloyd Heilbrunn and Tone_E like this.
  5. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Best team in the tourney has made it into the final, Spain 2-1 over France. Mbappe leaving France for Spain (Real Madrid), he didn't play well all tournament. Mask or not. So France loses twice to Spain... PSG loses Mbappe and France loses to Spain. It's a bit funny, from an English perspective. F the French :lol:

Tone_E likes this.
  6. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Argentina sleeps walks through a 2-0 win over Canada.

Similar to the US, Canada's weakness in the final 3rd is starkly apparent.

Messi is off the schneid with his first goal of the tournament…

7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    so i had the scorelines correct from my bracket predictions some time ago, even though I had the teams not totally correct (I had Argentina beating Venezuela 2-0... and Spain beating Portugal 2-1)... keep an eye on the scorelines for tomorrow's semis... 1-0 England v Netherlands is doable either way... and 3-2 Colombia over Uruguay would be a hell of a game...

8. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I got my first prediction wrong, so here's hoping I get the second one wrong too :chuckle:

9. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    That was never a penalty for England. Even the VAR expert on the broadcast here said "this won't be referred by VAR to the ref". How a player can try to block a shot then the striker kicks them on the follow through can then be a penalty is ridiculous.

10. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    So watching it on Fox over here in the US. They had Mark Clattenberg (you probably heard of him) doing the ref analysis. He said it wasn't going to be a penalty. And when he said that, I thought he had an "inside" to the VAR room, and they had already looked at it. Next thing I see is the ref telling the GK to hold on, which to me signals VAR is still looking at it. My excitement builds... Then comes the signal for him to go look at it on the side, and 99.9% of the time, once they do that, they go with the VAR recommendation and overturn the call on the field.

Was it a penalty? I've seen less given... I've seen more not given. It's the problem with VAR, it's completely subjective. VAR was supposed to be overturning clear and obvious mistakes by the on the field crew. It's become something else in the last couple of years (Certainly at the premier league level). Do I think it was a penalty? Of course. But I'm an England supporter. And I've got my biases. I will say Kane is not allowed to follow thru on his shot by a careless "high" foot by the defender. If the defenders foot is much closer to the ground, maybe it's not called. But the contact happens very soon after the ball is hit by Kane. It's a penalty. And he got a yellow for it as well, after the decision was made.

I'm happy we are thru, but I'm not looking forward to Spain beating us, if it comes to that. Spain have been the class of the tournament. But England have been playing much better each game in this elimination round. Conceded first again today. That's three in a row. I don't think they can expect to do that vs Spain and win. Spain will offer too much on the counter and I could see it getting out of hand. Although, we all know what likely happens if England score first (particularly in the first half). It'll be a shell, Southgate will park the bus, and inevitably we will lose again.

The first halves of the matches vs the Swiss and Holland, we have been in "complete control" of the game, I feel. The movement has been very good. The formation is allowed to keep the ball. We just haven't finished off as well as we should. That could change vs Spain. Their defense is not formidable (unlike France).

Southgate finally made the move to pull Kane off in the 90 and it paid off with the W. Avoiding the extra 30 minutes was huge. We'll need to avoid it again vs Spain, I feel. Magical moment for Watkins though.

This turnaround for England since the mid to late 90s... it's taken time. It hasn't come easy. I was looking up all the Under 17/29/20/21 tournaments England have won recently... U-20 WC 2017, U-21 Euro 2023, U19 won 2017 and 2022, U-17 won in 2017... that's no accident. It's taken a very long time and the right formula must start IMO at the youth level. And now you are seeing the benefits of that at the professional level with some of these players making their way thru to the first team. That's a mindset and confidence created only created thru experience at these tournaments. Now two Euro finals in a row. Hopefully the drought ends on Sunday. But if it doesn't, it'll be okay. Lots of young talent to look forward to.

11. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Gonna be a great final. Congrats Paul.

Paul 13 likes this.
  12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Uruguay players going into the stands to apparently protect their family sitting at the front who were being harassed by Colombian fans. Nunez really at the front of the line to beat and "defend" many of the instigators. So much for no drama tonight. Colombia deserved to go thru and face Argentina, even though they had a player sent off for utter stupidity. Frustrations boiling over. So much passion, which you love to see mind you. Going to be two great finals on Sunday, hopefully.

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    If he had hit the goal the way he hit the fans his team might have won.

Nunez couldn't score in a women's prison with a handful of pardons...

Paul 13 likes this.
  14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    It's late, I'll comment on the England game tomorrow.

15. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    We had Christina Unkel, an American, doing the referee/VAR analysis here. There must be an exchange programme in place :laughy:

I'll stick by my initial thought that it was never a penalty though. Even the English studio and co-commentator analysis here was just about unanimous that it wasn't a penalty, although of course they all agreed they would take it, lol.

Paul 13 likes this.
  16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Wow is all I can say..what a beautiful sport..

I swear I watched Spain one game and said ain’t no way anyone beating that sh##.

Must see tv on Sunday.

Can’t lie would love to see England pull this seriously difficult feat off against the best team ive ever seen.. that’s coming from a totally in experienced fan at this point.

But put this Spain team in the World Cup right now and they win it imo

Paul 13 likes this.
  17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    welcome to the thread... yeah, spain 2024, best team in tourney so far... but not the best i've ever seen. maybe top 10... or just outside. but may be too early to rank them since tourney not over.

Claymore95 likes this.
  18. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Yeah, easily best team in this tournament although, just like the NFL, it'll be Any Given Sunday for the Final. England can win a one-off game if they play to their best.

It's not actually been the best tournament, only Spain have really turned up as expected. France and England especially have been mainly disappointing, considering they were both favourites to win it all. Of course, England have still made the final, even though they've yet to hit their potential heights for a full game.

Paul 13 likes this.
  19. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Interesting article below on Copa America's having no extra time in this tournament, and whether other tournaments should do the same. It points out that, in 29 extra time games going back to Euro 2020, only 13 of the games actually had a goal scored in the extra period, and 17 games went to penalties anyway.

It also highlights the "burnout" factor for players who have went through a long season with their clubs, which I think we are seeing in the Euros with many of the players not being at the top of their game.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-extra-time-should-other-knockout-tournaments

Tone_E and Paul 13 like this.
  20. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Southgate!

Paul 13 likes this.
  21. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Maybe they should stop adding and extending all these tournaments. The player burnout is higher than ever. But, that eats into revenue, so let's go straight to pens like a high school game that has to finish before dark.

22. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah, i'd seen that before. this is why England fans are the best, of course, I'm biased. He was a really good sport about it. Which is just as hilarious.

Tone_E likes this.
  23. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Anyone got a good stream for this, I’m in Africa

24. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    At hooliganism most definitely :couch:

25. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Best team at the Euros, and in the final, win it.

I'm a little shocked that a poor Spanish team beaten by Scotland 2-0 at Hampden in qualifying turned it around so much to now be European champions. Should have realised it though that they were just getting used to de la Fuentes as their new manager. He definitely has taken them back to near their best.

Commiserations to England, not at their best in this tournament, but back to back European finals is not to be sniffed at. You still have to think though that Southgate is maybe wasting some of the best players to ever be available to England.

26. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Sucks to lose it that way, after tying the game. It was all there to play for, and Southgate doesn't see that the team needs changes... he leaves Saka and Shaw on, both were fatigued. And they sit back and invite pressure. Though the goal was a quick one. This is like the Dave Wannestedt era for Dolfans... good enough to make the playoffs, not good enough to win the whole thing. Got to get Southgate out. But I fear with all these finals/semi final appearances, the FA won't have the balls to do it. Just like Southgate... no balls no glory.

Claymore95 likes this.
  27. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    JFC... i have to watch an additional hour and 15 minutes of the Fox Sports pregame show due to this delay at the Copa (security issues / shocking i know). Rob Stone is okay... I've made it clear what I think of Alexi Lalas before... Dempsey and Lloyd... just don't bring anything to the table as far as analysis, particularly Dempsey, he's terrible.

28. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    IMO, he should've taken Harry Kane off way before 60 minutes, he's been pretty much useless the whole tournament unless the ball ended up falling to him in the 6 yard box. England was not a threat until he left...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
    Paul 13 likes this.
  29. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.

What an incredible joke this tournament has been from an organization perspective.

Can you imagine paying thousands for a ticket and having to fight for your seat with a guy that got in without paying?

I sense a class action lawsuit…

Paul 13 likes this.
  30. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    worse than that, there are people that didn't go thru security in that stadium. that's a recipe for disaster. in this day and age.

Lloyd Heilbrunn likes this.
  31. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Southgate resigns as England manager.

I wonder who they will go for next, usually it's an English manager they would want but there's not many managing at the top of the game.

32. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    That's interesting.

FYI, there have been some US pundits that think the US should have him as a candidate, since they fired their coach as a result of the Copa America flameout.

33. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    He wouldn't be a bad option for the US, he's not a terrible coach at all and got England further in tournaments (with the help of lucky draws...) than any coach has in decades. He's just not likely to deliver a team playing exciting football.

There were rumours that he was lined up as the next Man Utd coach if Ten Hag had been fired, but obviously that door is now closed (for the moment anyway).

34. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Well, the main criticism of Berhalter, other than the recent bad flameout, was the inability to put together a system which created more chances for the forwards.

I saw nothing at the Euros which indicates that Southgate would be better at that…and with a lot more attacking talent.

35. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    My friend was in Germany for the Euros just recently, and was attending a Poland game. The Poles rushed and stormed security, through the gates there too. They did it because it was under an hour to kickoff and they weren't letting anyone through the gates with no communication. The Poles said F it, we'll go in ourselves if you won't let us in with valid tickets. My friend was with his wife and her dad, and her dad had a ticket on the other end of the stadium and said the queue and organization was just fine. Maybe an isolated incident on the Polish side of the stadium, but they rectified it themselves.

With as violent as we've become as a society, I really think security at any large public gathering should be heavily increased.

Paul 13 likes this.
  36. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Timely access to games has been an issue recently in many high level matches, there's been widely reported examples of fans not being able to get into Champions League finals for instance and waiting hours with no progress. You can understand fans who've paid a lot of money for tickets being exasperated and deciding to take matters into their own hands. Organisers and security really need to get themselves sorted before there's a major incident.

Paul 13 and Tone_E like this.
  37. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    That's exactly what happened. I didn't know it has become an ongoing thing though.

38. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I have signed up on the FIFA website to try to get tickets for the 2026 World Cup. I believe there are 8 games at SOFI stadium here in LA. Five group games and three elimination games (R of 32 - two and QF - one). Also, I think the US play two group games here. I've gotta go to at least one of these games! I wonder about the timing of the selling of the tix vs the world cup draw.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
  39. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    It would be weird to buy tickets before the draw, because you wouldn't know what teams you are paying to see…

40. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    That's the way they were doing it for the Euros, and the last World Cup I think, as well, for general sale tickets. They (UEFA, FIFA, etc) do a lottery basically, where you apply for tickets then, if "you win", you get the option to buy the tickets...not knowing who you may get to see! Eg. you apply for 4 group stage match tickets and a quarter-final in a specific city/stadium, but may only get 1,2 or no specific group stage tickets. Needless to say, re-sale sites make a fortune! Winners of the lottery likely hope they get tickets for well supported teams, then they can sell on and try to get tickets for their own team's games.

I don't know how other countries do it, but the qualifying countries also get an allowance which, in the case of Scotland, they then sell to their Travel Club members, who pay to join the club and then accumulate points by attending other Scotland games over the years. The more points you have, the higher your chance of getting an allocated ticket. I think the Scotland FA had something like 10,000 tickets available for each Euros group game, but that's a lot of interested people missing out that then have to find other ways to get hold of a ticket.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
    Paul 13 likes this.