1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everette Brown

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Boomer, Dec 27, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see what the fuss is all about. It's Kam Wimbley redux, except Wimbley made more plays. Just done watching Brown for the 3rd time against Florida. I know Carl Johnson is pretty highly rated, but Brown failed to get any pressure on Tebow at all. He comes up the field the same way play after play; he's the slowest off the snap of the 4 Seminole down linemen. I thought he was earlier this season, then against Georgia Tech he seemed better, but again against the Gators he was last off the ball. He has three moves; outside rush which Johnson neutralised time and again with minimal effort; a spin move which he sets up often by lining up in a wider stance, affording him the angle to spin inside; or a bullrush. He's strong and his strength has improved, but his inconsistency is troubling to say the least. He can get washed out as a run threat at times because he continues to play the same way and doesn't mix up his work at the snap; he can seal the edge pretty well, but at times he had contain and took the wrong look inside and allowed the Gators to the outside. He pursues well down the line and is never off his feet but again I didn't see him drop or turn and run down the field in a way that would make me comfortable about a conversion to OLB.

There was a play in the 4th quarter which epitomised his play; Johnson, for the first time in the game allowed him a free run at Tebow. The fact Johnson did that should immediately set off alarm bells in his head about what's coming. It didn't. He's so geared up for the QB that he heads straight at Tim and allows him the pitch inside to Demps. If he holds his ground and forces Tebow into a decision, it would allow the linebackers to come up and make the play as Johnson has blocked down on the DT. 25 yards later and Demps is wrestled down.If he maintains the edge, forces a decision out of Tebow rather than making Tim's mind up for him, then the play is a minimal gain.

I would have very strong reservations about drafting him. Very strong. Word from Gene Williams is that he's out, but I wouldn't touch him if I was Jeff Ireland. After seeing Jerry Hughes play the position, despite the one year wonder tag, that's where I'd be putting my eggs if I had to choose between these two underclassmen.

Looking forward to seeing Brown against Wisconsin, but based on the three games I've seen of him this season, there's too much flash and not enough end product on any consistent basis.

2. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Can't disagree with any thing there.

The spin move works the first time, but after that it just gets neultralized by a decent LT. A semblance of an arm over, swim move move back to the inside would be a welcome addition to his repertoire IMO.

3. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Hey Boom, have you seen much of Phillip Hunt - DE - Houston?

4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The real question is why take an OLB at all in the 1st when Joey Porter is an all-pro and the tandem of Roth/Anderson is working out quite well. Roth isn't going to get knocked out of 1st/2nd downs and Anderson is coming alive now after an injury marred slow start this year. If Sintim is there when we pick I think that we would pass- too many other true needs. Even I am getting tired of seeing myself write Alex Mack, but if Al Johnson doesn't work out... Larry English would be fine rds 2-3 or that Houston OLB a bit later- I just don't see OLB rd 1- Everette Brown or anyone else for that matter.

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thank you Boom, I completely agree. I said the same when discussing him with someone else here, whose name I can't recall at the moment. I don't see the love over Brown.

And after watching Jerry Hughes against BSU, he has fallen into my favorite players, joining Larry English and Greg Hardy. Hardy's probably not going to be a Dolphin though.

6. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Hi alen,..........I might be the missing person.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

You were one of them who agreed with me but there was someone who was really high on him. It doesn't matter lol. With my crappy memory, I don't think I'll ever remember it. Either way, I think we can agree that he's not as good as some make him out to be.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Roth can't provide a consistent pass rush and Anderson still has twice the amount of ST's penalties than sacks. Anderson has looked good lately but I want a consistent pass rusher and I'm not sure Anderson is that. His career high sacks in a season is 2.5. If your giving me the option of staying with Charlie Anderson or taking a guy like Jerry Hughes or Larry English, I'm going with English or Hughes.

9. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Absolutely. He does nothing to set the tackle up; he never goes inside and spins back out, he never goes hard outside and ducks inside, there's no rip, no swim. Same old, same old.

10. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Not a thing mate. I know that he's pretty small but I haven't caught Houston at all this season. You likee?

11. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Speaking of spin moves, during that FSU/Gator game the BC/Maryland game was going on. They showed a Terp touchdown during the 3rd quarter, but the most impressive thing in that clip was BJ Raji's spin move on Jaimie Thomas. Absolutely devastating for a man 100lbs lighter, let alone for Raji. I remain to be 60 minute convinced on him, but that was impressive.

12. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Except why did Jeff Ireland take Anthony Spencer after taking DeMarcus Ware? Why did Ernie Accorsi take Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuku after taking Osi Umenyiora when they also had Strahan?

Pressure fronts are what kill teams. You can have all the cover men in the world but if you can't get pressure. I'm not sure after 2 appearances that Charlie Anderson is the answer to any long term questions given how close he was to being cut.

13. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Also Jim, it's about rotational fronts. Miami have done a good job of working Merling, Langford, Holliday, Randy Starks, Roth and Porter in and out, along with Jason Ferguson and more of Soliai in the middle. They've also worked Anderson the past three games more from the weak side. But the rotation is the absolute key. Look at the Patriots; Jarvis Green doesn't start, but he must play 30 snaps a game.

My one issue would be at MLB, exacerbated by the injury and looming FA of Channing Crowder, the consistent mediocrity of Akin Ayodele and the gulf after those two. But it's something of a bum year inside. It's a toughie because I could do with watching Boise/TCU to see Jason Phillips tonight but with the missus at work and WVU/NC and Wisconsin/FSU on live, I'm between a rock and a hard place so to speak. I have issues over the instincts of Rey Maulauga although his sideline to sideline work is mightily impressive, I don't see Laurinaitis in the middle unless he's totally free to work the middle due to a frightening inability to get off blocks; Brandon Spikes might be a better OLB and I just don't see the fuss inside, although he excels in coverage, Darry Beckwith is a good player who's been struggling with injury this year and hasn't played as well with Dorsey not in front of him, but I like his game. Is it Cal/Miami tonight? Worrell Williams is a good player at MLB for Cal.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yep. Cal/Miami tonight. Here's a tip - don't watch any of my UM ILB's. They're no good lol.

joeydolfan likes this.
  15. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    He has an explosive first step. He is a little short, but the guy has the a better first step than Brown, if people wish a one dimensional pass rusher, although Hunt does have a few moves more than Brown. But neither are very good at stopping the run.

16. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    That all makes sense, especially in light of Torbor's performance last week with Crowder out- ergo Derek Smith. I saw nothing more than a clip of the Houston LB, I think provided by Confucius. Clips only tell so much, but it was evident that this guy could seriously move at 6-2, 260. Reminded me a little of a bigger version of the Georgia LB/DE that the Colts picked up last year. Big time wheels. Ayodele is a bit hot and cold- I still wouldn't put it past us to take Maaluaga if he slides.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdKvZWG-Fnk"]YouTube - 11/11/06 UH Cougars - SMU Mustangs Phillip Hunt[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB_w-gHRVS8&NR=1"]YouTube - 11/11/06 UH Cougars - SMU Mustangs 2 sacks[/ame]

17. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Brown is better at playing the run than he was as a sophomore, sort of as you'd expect. But I just never see the domination that I expect to see. I see it in Jerry Hughes, I see it Gerald McCoy, I see it in Sen'Derrick Marks and in Ndamukong Suh, players like that, but I just don't see it in Brown.

18. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I have a very different listing for his height/weight; 6'0.5 and 249. I also wouldn't go off YouTube too much. Weak become heroes on YT. ;)

19. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I know- like I said it's just a clip. Nonetheless the guy can move. I was guessing 6-2, could easily be 6-0.5 I checked NFLDC- for what it's worth I remembered correctly what they listed:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/Phillip-Hunt.php

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Houston's official site has him at 6'2", 260 lbs. as well, Jim.

21. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Good point, but college teams usually fudge. 6-0.5 wouldn't surprise me in the least.

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I know they do, just pointing it out. :up:

23. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Scott takes all his listings from the official university sites and I never trust the universities.

24. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I've been saying it for a while and Ven just brought it up upstairs, but Max Unger is much more likely a Miami pick. Can play both tackles and is a very good pivot who is arguably stronger at the 2nd level than any interior lineman in this draft.

25. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    For the most part they all lie- case in point the Miami Heat 2nd overall pick Michael Beasley- listed at 6-10, checked in at an official 6-7. Basketball, football- all the same, they pump up the numbers. Porter is 6-2 I think, but 6-4 sure sounds better that 6-0 .5 re: Hunt to block QB's vision, cover 6-6 TE's, etc. But it's not a deal killer IMO. Might be for our FO that craves size, though.

26. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Same old, same old for Everette in the first half.

27. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I haven't seen him play, hopefully I'll get a chance. 2nd level is good, but then again Satele is pretty good at the 2nd level. What we need against Wilfork/Jenkins/Stroud et al is a ball crusher at the LOS.

28. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Unless we decide to continue the more recent trend of getting Satele in space on the perimeter. Over the last 2-3 games we have seen Satele pulling more and more. I think the fact we have two backup G's who are not good at the POA has helped spur this on.

29. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Then look no further than Unger. Or Caldwell.

30. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    I really like Unger as well as a potential pick for us due to his starting experience and his versatility. Guy can play all 5 line positions and agree he gets to the 2nd level extremely well.

31. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Agreed Alen, Cook gets run out of plays too often for my tastes. I am really hoping Bryce Brown is ready to step in next year as our Mike.

32. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Gano the kicker for FSU was the most valuable player on the field in the 1st half. Downing 3 points inside the 3 yard line and and 2 of those were on the 1.

33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cook is inconsistent as you mention, Romeo Davis is just awful and Daryl Sharpton got benched for Davis this season lol. I think you mean Arthur Brown and he's struggling with the playbook. I think we could see Sean Spence in the middle. He's got great instincts and football knowledge.

34. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Yep, getting ahead of myself on that one, Arthur has played well on special teams and has had some vicious hits, just needs to get the playbook down. Love Spence, just not sure he can carry the kind of bulk I like to see on a true Mike. Instincts and play making ability are off the charts though.

Some one needs to teach Bailey some different pass rush moves, guy has all the freakish natural physical tools you could ask for he just needs to be coached up and he could be a devastating force at DE.

35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He does lack the bulk but he's only a freshmen, Joey. He'll pack it on this off-season.

Absolutely. Remember though, he had a pectoral injury in the off-season and that delayed his development. He's packed on a lot of weight though. He's 292 lbs. but apparently has 0% fat. I find that hard to believe.

36. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    He can pack on more weight in the off season but being listed T 6'0" or 6'1" it would be counter productive for him to carry more than 225lbs IMO. I prefer a Mike built like Melaugua, 250lbs plus, a real thumper you know.

Agreed, the injury held back Bailey this year and also letting min stay at LB for his Freshman year which was a joke to begin with. No way he was going to stay there with his frame and yes he is a physical freak.

37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Well, that's the thing. He's not a thumper like Maualuga. He's not going to lay the wood. He's a much more intelligent and instinctive player than Maualuga. When we're talking about his frame here, I think he could get to 235 and be fine. He could thrive as an MLB in a 43 but not a 34.

He's a physical freak but 0% fat on a 292 lbs. frame? I don't know about that.

38. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Isn't he technically supposed to be dead if he has 0% body fat?

Not even bodybuilders, who are more juiced than OJ, don't get that lean. It affects brain function and more.

39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Exactly. That's why when I heard it, I was like :headscratch:

40. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    One of the most fabled internet rumors of all time on Bailey, no way he is 0% fat, but he is a freak like Jevon Kearse was in his heyday.