1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every stinkin' news article in the world!

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Questions' started by Zod, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I agree bro. Great post and thanks to all of those that go out and find the links

ATVZ400 likes this.
  2. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Sorry that I missed your post but I think you are missing the point. On any given day, the Dolphins are mentioned on 15 different websites. That is just for articles and it goes without mentioning the radio and video mentions. Then there is a morning, afternoon, and evening crowd that will eventually be discussing the same topics. My complaint is that you (as a member of phins.com) can attempt to generate a discussion of another general idea but it will inevitably be beaten down by randomly linked articles. Some articles are linked two or three times a day. I personally think the Herald, Sentinel, the post, ESPN, and most sportswriters in general have a large enough forum to have their say.

When you (the phins.com member) have something to say, you want responses to your thoughts. Do you start threads? Have you had your thread beaten down by "links". Go to the the main forum right now and you will find no less than 12 posts created by links. Now some may say topics of interest are updated by member's posts. If your topic has interest, it will be bumped to the top. That is not always the case. Although we have a "Thank you" click that will just thank the member for the post and not "bump" the topic - people still feel the need to post "thank you for this." Is that interest? Is that discussion? None-the-less you have a mindless link with just as much creativity bumping it back to the top. Try it now. Go to the main forum and pick a randomly linked thread. Make sure it's one of those links that just quotes the article too.

This complaint/suggestion is predicated on if you can come up with an original idea. Some people cannot come up with an idea. Some people do not take their conversation seriously enough to keep up a conversation. Some people just want the news and do not wish to contribute original thought. I understand all that. I took my wife to the movies last night and I was amazed at the young people (on a date) talking and texting OTHER PEOPLE! Maybe our attention spans are such that most people cannot come up with something original. I mean gimini crickets! You can't pay attention TO YOUR DATE? :pity:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
    cnc66 likes this.
  3. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Zod, I have always been a proponent of the author of the thread being required to offer more than just a link, and/or one sentence comment. Some sort of commentary on WHY this link has relevance. This is especially frustrating to me in Club, where I have been beat down for suggesting "more" is required there and shamed because someones Mom was sick unbeknowngst to me.. but it was implied "I" was the villian anyway, that somehow I should have considered that "this" was the reason for the brevity.

I think it is healthy that you have brought this subject to the surface. Instead of everyone racing to be the first to post something, they ought to discuss whatever "value" they found.. I think this will change some when we fully use our brand new front page, but again, the discussion is worthy IMO. I'm a funny/odd guy(easy boys...).I think threads should have "value" and as such up until I became a MOD, I was averaging more than 300 posts per thread start. I certainly believe that more effort could be demonstrated, it would only improve the overall quality of our BB.

Just my personal opinion here.. it has no reflection whatsoever on any official postion by ThePhins.

King Felix likes this.
  4. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    either i don't understand what your general complaint is, or i think you are being very trivial.

for someone who is complaining about lack of content, i sure don't see many posts from you in the discussion area, nevermind threads started by you for discussion.

(i'm not saying this to start a flame war, making a constructive observation ;) )

again, for me personally it comes down to being the offseason, not a lot going on, and not being creative. i have opinions on things, and i post those opinions in threads all the time in the discussion forums. i even try to post more in the main discussion instead of the VIP in order to keep the non-VIP members in the loop. frankly i have absolutely NO problem with someone starting a post based on a link. it simply gives us a topic for discussion. there are many topics, and yes most of them are via links to actual reports or articles, but i fail to see the problem with this. if you want to fix it, start some threads about a serious discussion without links in them.

??

5. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    It's funny that you used the word trivial. Trivial is the complaint.

I don't know how to make the complaint/suggestion any clearer for you.

Naw, you meant to take a jab.

I've had to delete two different responses I typed for you under this quote. I think I'll just take that jab on the chin and walk away.

You valued your original opinion so much that you thought you had to say the same thing twice. You ignored my response. You subsequently ignored the response of three others with similar views on the subject.

Maybe it's best that I just say that I have taken notice of your opinion. :up:

TWO TIMES!

Big E likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.