Every stinkin' news article in the world!

44 repliesLocked

dolfan32323dolfan32323New Member
Jul 24, 2008, 03:19 PM

Maybe you could create a subforum specifically for links to articles and what not?

I don't know, it doesn't bother me being on the main part but it's an idea.

MuckMuckRetired Admin
Jul 24, 2008, 04:07 PM

"Zod wrote:

I guess that wasn't my last two cents.....

Muck, I started to PM you with this but I wasn't sure how it would be received and passed along. So I just said "To heck with it.....Say it and be done with it." Maybe you would also do a better job than me in saying there was no malice involved in any of my statements. I just had an opinion to share.

............Well, that is no malice other than the pinhead statement. A large portion of those beat writers are pinheads.

I've known you long enough to know that when something is on your mind, there's really no stopping you. :tongue: More importantly, it I know it comes from a good place. So no, I didn't take any offense or interpret it as anything but concern/suggestion.

After all, this is the Questions/Suggestions (and inherently Complaints) forum. So you should be able to get things out (within reason of course), and we shouldn't automatically get defensive about them. :)

EDIT: and I agree with you on the writers. Some of them are good. Some not so much. And while I like the blog format and the somewhat intimate Q&A with the beat writers, I'm not a fan of the 'what do you think?' parts on the newspaper sites. I guess because that's what I've got here already. So it's just redundant for me personally.

Make the throwback uniforms permanent!

Big EBig ENew Member
Jul 24, 2008, 04:41 PM

Personally for me I see the links and articles as a basis for our discussions. As to why we are discussing what we are discussing. And as pointed out earlier alot of it has to do with lack of things to talk about. Dear lord if we were Packer fans or Bears fans we wouldn't have this problem.

TEtexasPHINSfanNew Member
Jul 24, 2008, 05:55 PM

a lot of it has to do with the fact its the offseason and its slow... so most of the traffic is going to be what you see in the press seeing as how none of us have access or insight into the team right now and what its doing.

2nd, some people like to talk about that stuff. if you don't, don't click the link. pretty easy. the articles that are linked from somewhere are usually titled as such. if you want to start a discussion not related to an article, i suggest you think of the idea and start the thread. :)

be a part of the solution instead of complaining about the problem sir :up:

*

miami#1miami#1New Member
Jul 24, 2008, 06:45 PM

every day at work i open the sports section of my local paper and there is nothing other than rams and chiefs bs! i for one enjoy the local links from miami. they give me a little more ammo to use on the rams and chiefs fans around here (and god knows we need all we can find right now!)

ATVZ400ATVZ400New Member
Jul 24, 2008, 08:22 PM

I always felt that finding a story on the Phins lead to discussions and opinions among everybody on the board. I agree that some of the writers are not that great but i still see a lot of people respond to the story.

I like the fact that all phins news is in one place on this board. If i'm busy at work i know guy's like ALEN1, bkbuffet, and gi§h® (to name a few) will find news and post it. To me thats great, i'm up to date. I read every post that on the board, i might not like it or respond to it but it there for you.

I'm a VIP member and i never post a news story with a link there. I check the VIP everyday to see what's going on. I also see news that i posted on the main that's in the VIP that leads to opinions which is great.

I see zod's point in this matter maybe we need a better mix of news and fans views on the phins i don;t know, to be honest i think this board is perfect....

There is a lot of different section from the phins, gaming, VIP, college etc for everyone to enjoy and see there views

thanks

Fin Fan In CaliFin Fan In CaliLuxury Box
Jul 24, 2008, 09:07 PM

I see both sides of this story. I thought about this today at the beach.:lol: I think if we post a link to a story, that we make great effort to put our thoughts,and ideas down whether yeah or neah to the story. From there we can have a great discussion to the story as to whether we believe it, or are the writers just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks? :wink2: I thank the family who post the news that I always don't have time to pull up.:yes:


Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!

Big EBig ENew Member
Jul 24, 2008, 09:10 PM

Maybe we should have a sub forum in the mains for linked articles, etc?

Fin Fan In CaliFin Fan In CaliLuxury Box
Jul 24, 2008, 09:12 PM

"enforcerfin33 wrote:

Maybe we should have a sub forum in the mains for linked articles, etc?

Brother I think this will be taken care of once the front page is done. The news will be there, and then we can have great conversation to that regard.:wink2:


Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!

King FelixKing FelixSupporter
Jul 24, 2008, 10:13 PM

i miss club level :(

ALalen1New Member
Jul 25, 2008, 12:29 AM

"ATVZ400 wrote:

I always felt that finding a story on the Phins lead to discussions and opinions among everybody on the board. I agree that some of the writers are not that great but i still see a lot of people respond to the story.

I like the fact that all phins news is in one place on this board. If i'm busy at work i know guy's like bkbuffet, and gi§h® (to name a few) will find news and post it. To me thats great, i'm up to date. I read every post that on the board, i might not like it or respond to it but it there for you.

I'm a VIP member and i never post a news story with a link there. I check the VIP everyday to see what's going on. I also see news that i posted on the main that's in the VIP that leads to opinions which is great.

I see zod's point in this matter maybe we need a better mix of news and fans views on the phins i don;t know, to be honest i think this board is perfect....

There is a lot of different section from the phins, gaming, VIP, college etc for everyone to enjoy and see there views

thanks

I agree with every word.

Big EBig ENew Member
Jul 25, 2008, 08:20 AM

"King Felix wrote:

i miss club level :(

Then fork over the money, jr.

DrAstroZoomDrAstroZoomLuxury Box
Jul 25, 2008, 12:33 PM

First of all, great to see you, Zod ... it's been FOREVER. Second, I know what you mean. There does seem to have been a proliferation of news-only links. That may or may not be fixed when we get our main page up and running. Perhaps a sticky from a mod reminding the general public that we strive to be a discussion board, not just a message board. I dunno.

"Fin Fan In Cali wrote:

I see both sides of this story. I thought about this today at the beach.:lol:

:pity:

"Fin Fan In Cali wrote:

Brother I think this will be taken care of once the front page is done. The news will be there, and then we can have great conversation to that regard.:wink2:

Yeah, how's that front page coming? :yes:

Fin Fan In CaliFin Fan In CaliLuxury Box
Jul 25, 2008, 01:08 PM

"DrAstroZoom wrote:

First of all, great to see you, Zod ... it's been FOREVER. Second, I know what you mean. There does seem to have been a proliferation of news-only links. That may or may not be fixed when we get our main page up and running. Perhaps a sticky from a mod reminding the general public that we strive to be a discussion board, not just a message board. I dunno.

:pity:

Yeah, how's that front page coming? :yes:

Brother Steve it is very close as we speak. The staff is working on it with as much time as they can.:up: Mal or George could give you a better answer brother.:wink2:


Rest in peace bigbry and dolphin debby!

ZodZodNew Member
Jul 26, 2008, 10:27 AM

"DrAstroZoom wrote:

First of all, great to see you, Zod ... it's been FOREVER.

Good to see you too Doc....... I still check in randomly but I've lost alot of free time for the past two years taking a coaching gig with a local high school. You had a hiatus of sorts with that time too. At some point last year, I could find no trace of you. Then again, the main board was being bombarded with stupidity. We may have just not seen each other in the crowded hallway.

KAKanye WestNew Member
Jul 27, 2008, 02:16 AM

"ATVZ400 wrote:

I always felt that finding a story on the Phins lead to discussions and opinions among everybody on the board. I agree that some of the writers are not that great but i still see a lot of people respond to the story.

I like the fact that all phins news is in one place on this board. If i'm busy at work i know guy's like ALEN1, bkbuffet, and gi§h® (to name a few) will find news and post it. To me thats great, i'm up to date. I read every post that on the board, i might not like it or respond to it but it there for you.

I'm a VIP member and i never post a news story with a link there. I check the VIP everyday to see what's going on. I also see news that i posted on the main that's in the VIP that leads to opinions which is great.

I see zod's point in this matter maybe we need a better mix of news and fans views on the phins i don;t know, to be honest i think this board is perfect....

There is a lot of different section from the phins, gaming, VIP, college etc for everyone to enjoy and see there views

thanks

I agree bro. Great post and thanks to all of those that go out and find the links

ZodZodNew Member
Jul 27, 2008, 09:53 AM

"texasPHINSfan wrote:

2nd, some people like to talk about that stuff. if you don't, don't click the link. pretty easy. the articles that are linked from somewhere are usually titled as such. if you want to start a discussion not related to an article, i suggest you think of the idea and start the thread. :)

be a part of the solution instead of complaining about the problem sir :up:

Sorry that I missed your post but I think you are missing the point. On any given day, the Dolphins are mentioned on 15 different websites. That is just for articles and it goes without mentioning the radio and video mentions. Then there is a morning, afternoon, and evening crowd that will eventually be discussing the same topics. My complaint is that you (as a member of phins.com) can attempt to generate a discussion of another general idea but it will inevitably be beaten down by randomly linked articles. Some articles are linked two or three times a day. I personally think the Herald, Sentinel, the post, ESPN, and most sportswriters in general have a large enough forum to have their say.

When you (the phins.com member) have something to say, you want responses to your thoughts. Do you start threads? Have you had your thread beaten down by "links". Go to the the main forum right now and you will find no less than 12 posts created by links. Now some may say topics of interest are updated by member's posts. If your topic has interest, it will be bumped to the top. That is not always the case. Although we have a "Thank you" click that will just thank the member for the post and not "bump" the topic - people still feel the need to post "thank you for this." Is that interest? Is that discussion? None-the-less you have a mindless link with just as much creativity bumping it back to the top. Try it now. Go to the main forum and pick a randomly linked thread. Make sure it's one of those links that just quotes the article too.

This complaint/suggestion is predicated on if you can come up with an original idea. Some people cannot come up with an idea. Some people do not take their conversation seriously enough to keep up a conversation. Some people just want the news and do not wish to contribute original thought. I understand all that. I took my wife to the movies last night and I was amazed at the young people (on a date) talking and texting OTHER PEOPLE! Maybe our attention spans are such that most people cannot come up with something original. I mean gimini crickets! You can't pay attention TO YOUR DATE? :pity:

cnc66cnc66Luxury Box
Jul 27, 2008, 10:12 AM

Zod, I have always been a proponent of the author of the thread being required to offer more than just a link, and/or one sentence comment. Some sort of commentary on WHY this link has relevance. This is especially frustrating to me in Club, where I have been beat down for suggesting "more" is required there and shamed because someones Mom was sick unbeknowngst to me.. but it was implied "I" was the villian anyway, that somehow I should have considered that "this" was the reason for the brevity.

I think it is healthy that you have brought this subject to the surface. Instead of everyone racing to be the first to post something, they ought to discuss whatever "value" they found.. I think this will change some when we fully use our brand new front page, but again, the discussion is worthy IMO. I'm a funny/odd guy(easy boys...).I think threads should have "value" and as such up until I became a MOD, I was averaging more than 300 posts per thread start. I certainly believe that more effort could be demonstrated, it would only improve the overall quality of our BB.

Just my personal opinion here.. it has no reflection whatsoever on any official postion by ThePhins.

TEtexasPHINSfanNew Member
Jul 29, 2008, 12:34 PM

"Zod wrote:

Sorry that I missed your post but I think you are missing the point. On any given day, the Dolphins are mentioned on 15 different websites. That is just for articles and it goes without mentioning the radio and video mentions. Then there is a morning, afternoon, and evening crowd that will eventually be discussing the same topics. My complaint is that you (as a member of phins.com) can attempt to generate a discussion of another general idea but it will inevitably be beaten down by randomly linked articles. Some articles are linked two or three times a day. I personally think the Herald, Sentinel, the post, ESPN, and most sportswriters in general have a large enough forum to have their say.

When you (the phins.com member) have something to say, you want responses to your thoughts. Do you start threads? Have you had your thread beaten down by "links". Go to the the main forum right now and you will find no less than 12 posts created by links. Now some may say topics of interest are updated by member's posts. If your topic has interest, it will be bumped to the top. That is not always the case. Although we have a "Thank you" click that will just thank the member for the post and not "bump" the topic - people still feel the need to post "thank you for this." Is that interest? Is that discussion? None-the-less you have a mindless link with just as much creativity bumping it back to the top. Try it now. Go to the main forum and pick a randomly linked thread. Make sure it's one of those links that just quotes the article too.

This complaint/suggestion is predicated on if you can come up with an original idea. Some people cannot come up with an idea. Some people do not take their conversation seriously enough to keep up a conversation. Some people just want the news and do not wish to contribute original thought. I understand all that. I took my wife to the movies last night and I was amazed at the young people (on a date) talking and texting OTHER PEOPLE! Maybe our attention spans are such that most people cannot come up with something original. I mean gimini crickets! You can't pay attention TO YOUR DATE? :pity:

either i don't understand what your general complaint is, or i think you are being very trivial.

for someone who is complaining about lack of content, i sure don't see many posts from you in the discussion area, nevermind threads started by you for discussion.

(i'm not saying this to start a flame war, making a constructive observation ;) )

again, for me personally it comes down to being the offseason, not a lot going on, and not being creative. i have opinions on things, and i post those opinions in threads all the time in the discussion forums. i even try to post more in the main discussion instead of the VIP in order to keep the non-VIP members in the loop. frankly i have absolutely NO problem with someone starting a post based on a link. it simply gives us a topic for discussion. there are many topics, and yes most of them are via links to actual reports or articles, but i fail to see the problem with this. if you want to fix it, start some threads about a serious discussion without links in them.

??

*

ZodZodNew Member
Jul 29, 2008, 06:36 PM

"texasPHINSfan wrote:

either i don't understand what your general complaint is, or i think you are being very trivial.

It's funny that you used the word trivial. Trivial is the complaint.

I don't know how to make the complaint/suggestion any clearer for you.

"texasPHINSfan wrote:

for someone who is complaining about lack of content, i sure don't see many posts from you in the discussion area, nevermind threads started by you for discussion.

(i'm not saying this to start a flame war, making a constructive observation )


Naw, you meant to take a jab.

I've had to delete two different responses I typed for you under this quote. I think I'll just take that jab on the chin and walk away.

"texasPHINSfan wrote:

again, for me personally it comes down to being the offseason, not a lot going on, and not being creative. i have opinions on things, and i post those opinions in threads all the time in the discussion forums. i even try to post more in the main discussion instead of the VIP in order to keep the non-VIP members in the loop. frankly i have absolutely NO problem with someone starting a post based on a link. it simply gives us a topic for discussion. there are many topics, and yes most of them are via links to actual reports or articles, but i fail to see the problem with this. if you want to fix it, start some threads about a serious discussion without links in them.

You valued your original opinion so much that you thought you had to say the same thing twice. You ignored my response. You subsequently ignored the response of three others with similar views on the subject.

Maybe it's best that I just say that I have taken notice of your opinion. :up:

TWO TIMES!

This thread is locked.