1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evolving The Wildcat - NFLN Discusses Pat White's Effect On Wildcat

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

http://www.nfl.com/videos/miami-dolphins/09000d5d81167761/Evolving-the-Wildcat

Some good points:

- With White receiving the snap and Ronnie Brown in the backfield, this becomes more like a spread offense perhaps.

- Because White is not the #1 QB, you can run option with him and not worry about it. That means a defense has to prep for your base offense, the wildcat, and a QB who runs out of the wildcat as often as throws it

- Because White can run or throw he dictates coverage, meaning if two safeties are back against the pass, you take the run... if one safety is up against the run, you have Cover 1 with man-to-man on the outside. You take the deep sideline throws expecting your receivers to beat the 1-on-1 coverage. Ginn can do this deep and Turner can catch jump balls.

2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    am reviving an old post that may pertain to your thread on Pat White & the WildCat:

the WildCat can go left or right (unbalanced) or transform into a Spread

lot of potential for White & his abilities to run this system
    look to see a lot of Pat White & many new options in the offense

TB-White/Brown
    FB-Brown/Williams
    BB-Polite/Cobbs/Fasano (block/receiver)
    WB-Williams/Cobbs/GinnJr/White (reverse/pass, receiver)

now this presents some serious options/combinations in the backfield, a quadruple threat!

1) you can shift into or out of these systems @ the line of scrimmage
    2) with the talent we have to run & pass, the options are nearly limitless
    3) the running game is wide-open & set to strike with the direct snap

all these things play to our strengths on offense. I see the WildCat/Spread becoming the "other offense" not a gimmick play in 2009.

I believe Pat White will play a major role in its development this season.

Bpk and late again like this.
  3. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    This is going to be great!!

Bpk likes this.
  4. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks Barry, that was interesting. We are going to be fun to watch this year fella's..

PhinsRock, djphinfan and Bpk like this.
  5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I almost don't want to get my hopes up too much. I remember two years ago I couldn;t wait to see Ginn light up the league on Punt/Kickoff returns for touchdowns. I must have watched his college highlight reel 50 or 60 times before the season began. I was disappointed once the season came, though.

I hope White does all the cool things we're dreaming of, but he may need longer to develop than we suppose and might not see extensive playing time right away.

Eventually, however, I think Pat white helps us take the Wildcat AND the Spread AND the Option offenses to the next level.

Has anyone ever won a Superbowl using any of those as a significant portion of their offense? Did Martz' Rams offense qualify as a Spread Offense? I would have to think so, with Faulk as the lone back. That said, we might see Ronnie catching more balls out of the backfield this year. And more screens to all the players.

cnc66 likes this.
  6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    you go with what works, right up to the SuperBowl
    there is no other way to win

7. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I'm excited to see what wrinkles they add to the offense, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'd rather see the Phins show improvement in the base offense, than to see no improvement in the base and the Wildcat to run roughshod for 6-8 plays a game.

I think Pat White will eventually help us, but he is, after all, a rookie.

PhinsRock and Bpk like this.
  8. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I love that this staff is willing to do whatever it takes to innovate and win games. I am excited about the possibilities Pat White brings to the WC. But like LL above, I mostly want to see our base offense and running game/OL improve significantly, so we are not as reliant on the WC. I would love to see where Pat White and Dan Henning can take this WC, but hope it is more to give opposing DC's more to prepare for, and then we run our base offense/running game smash mouth down their throats, eat up time off the clock, and wear opposing D's down such that they cannot stop us eating up the clock in the 4th Quarter.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it will all come together under the direction of our coaching cadre
    in a uniquely Miami way
    things are as they should be; I believe we will shine in 2009 :yes: