1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ex-NFL exec: Refs handled call right

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by standup42003, Oct 25, 2010.

1. standup42003

standup42003 New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    it's on espn.com

2. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Yeah, they called it right because it's ok to assume someone scored a TD instead of making sure he really did. ****ing idiots.

RickyBobby, SeanP, Tone_E and 9 others like this.
  3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    They handled what happened after the replay right, however they did not get the call right

4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I go back to my original arguement.

The MOST important thing in regards to a Touchdown, the ball HAS to cross the plane of the goal line right? In order for it to be a Touchdown, a player HAS to have control of the ball... Its painfully obvious that was not even remotely close to being possible because Rapelisburger lost it 2 yards shy of said plane.

The argument is that there IS not argument

GreysonWinfield and Ronnie Bass like this.
  5. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Noooooo...The refs suck the steelers **** and should be blasted in the *** with fines.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  6. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010

Exactly! Why would the ref, who was looking at Ben's back and couldn't even see the ball until it was loose, call it a TD? He raised his hands when Ben was in the air and assumed he was going to make it! He assumed he was in, therefore he blantanly, negligently and maliciously made the wrong call.

How many times have you all seen the two refs on the goal line, run to where the player is down before either calling the TD or placing the ball outside of the end zone? EVERY SINGLE PHUCKING WEEK! I've NEVER seen a ref call a TD when he couldn't possibly see the ball. Never!

7. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    That is/was my biggest gripe too MPF. WTF would the line judge (on the right side) rule it a TD when Rothlessburger had his back to him (thereby obscuring where the ball was in relation to the goal line)? And, why in the hell didn't the back judge come running in to see who recovered the ball? He just stood there as if in a daze. He had to see the ball come loose.

Bottom line, IMO there's no excuse for the crew not verifying who recovered the ball. It was obviously a bang/bang play at the goal line. Any ref worth his salt knows it's either a TD or a touch back. So, just DETERMINE WHO HAD POSSESSION YA FRIGGIN' IDIOTS! :pity:

MarinePhinFan likes this.
  8. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    They only got the call right because they botched the first call. That's the problem with many of the NFL rules. They are designed in a way where logic or the correct call sometimes is not allowed by the rules.

9. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Is that you, Steratore?

dolfan32323 likes this.
  10. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    The lack of accountability in NFL officiating has got to be the biggest joke in any professional sport. The Steelers are one of the NFL's darling franchises. The NFL and the media will side with them every day of the week no matter what actually happens. I'm not even sure Brady and the Pats could get more favorable treatment.

11. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    This is the guy that needed to face the reporters and cameras and answer what the HELL he could have possibly seen to signal a TD.

This assclown should be suspended and fined so he can't collect on this past weekends work or abortion if I may say so.

12. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

The NFL only said that the Ref went thru the right prossess. They did not say they got the call correct!

Why?

Because they did not get it right thats why.

There are plenty of reasons why the Dolphins lost the game but this is also one of them. It cannot be denied.

Pariah likes this.
  13. standup42003

standup42003 New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Like the time Polamalu's INT against the Colts in the playoff game got overturned? How about when 52 seconds were added against the patriots and it helped them win...Or the Bettis coin flip game....Jesus keep talking out of your ***...It's actually quite funny.

14. Ozzy

They sure didn't and had they done their job 100 percent correct all the refs would have been on, in and around that pile to see who came up with it.

But no! Instead you see the same ref, the one who gave the explaination on TV, instead he is seen running away from it, calling it a TD. His job was to weigh all options.

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I didn't say the did their job 100 percent correct. They did their job correct right when the replay was called.

16. Zippy

Zippy The Man in Black. Club Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Sugar Grove, OH
    Whatever helps them sleep at night. It was the worst failure by an official I have ever seen.

17. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Ron Swanson

Dec 11, 2007
    This is where I think it's such an uphill battle for Dolphins fans. They did handle the replay right -- they actually applied the rule and avoided the guessing game some officials would have gotten into. They completely failed to do their job leading up to that, and replay only works when officials have done their job the best they can and still need extra review. We got screwed by the field officials on the field, not with the ref and the booth guy.

CaribPhin and dolphan117 like this.
  18. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Oh really.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/definitions

The official called a TD when there was no way he could have possibly seen the ball break the plane of the goal line from his angle. How on earth is that the correct call?

19. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I think I saw that spot. Notice how they explained the call but cut the clip short of the recovery...So lame.

20. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Superbowl against the Seahawks.....next subject.

21. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Lol. What a farce. Just sweep that W right under the rug. Refs are above the law.

muscle979 and azfinfanmang like this.
  22. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Honestly, you know what pisses me off? The NFL does jack about it. I've never heard of a ref getting fired, suspended, or even fined for the calls that are blown.

What is worst thing that could happen for them? They might miss the chance at reffing the Super Bowl. Which would seem like a great incentive except the way the referees have been handling the officiating as of the last few years, you might as well call up some fans, give them a week to study the rule book, and pick from that bunch because they seem to do a better job at reviewing a simple replay than a bunch of people of who are paid to spot simple mistakes.

I guess that's what's angering me the most. Not so much the fact that referees blow calls, but they continually blow crucial calls without even a league reprimand.

CaribPhin and MikeHoncho like this.
  23. GreysonWinfield

GreysonWinfield Release The Hounds

Nov 1, 2009
    After further review I have determined that this guy is a DOUCHER.

24. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I'm guessing in the Official NFL Rulebook, it states that refs are liable to interpret the rules however they wish without consequence.

Ozzy, azfinfanmang and Silverphin like this.
  25. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thats exactly it. Steratore called it right according to the rulebook. However prior to that, was the real mistake. Which was him calling it a TD, instead of ruling it a fumble, allowing the play to play out then determine who had possession and allowing them to challenge it was a TD later.

I can see it now, the NFL eventually will make a statement about the game that says it was called right, and completely ignore the fact that the call on the feel was 110% wrong. typical PR spin.

Same with the Steratore call on the Lions' Johnson in week one. Called right the the rule book, but that doesn't make it right. Common sense in that case determines its a TD. Shame the rulebook is so flawed.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  26. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah, 'cause, you know, the real world is exactly like that.

"Well, your honor, when the speed limit sign said 35, I interpreted as the minimal speed limit."

27. Ozzy

Sorry. Try reading it again. I put in bold the only part I agreed with you on.

The rest was not correct. That was a bang bang play and the ball was out pretty fast. There was no reason for the refs not to see, and determine who came up with the ball just in case. TD called or not......

Or correct me if I'm misunderstanding. By being correct do you mean there was no way to tell Miami had the ball?

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    the judge should have called it a fumble since it was close enough

29. Ozzy

Right! We all most likely agree on that part.

My beef is even though they went thru thr correct process during the replay. They did not get it right. Miami players had their hands on the ball and a Miami player came out of the pile with it in his hands. So, to me, they got it wrong either way...

30. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Correct! How, when it was clear on the replay, i.e. the same video they can use to determine whether or not the call was right, that 2 Dolphin players fell on the ball and one handed it to the ref after he got up from the bottom of the pile, can they say there wasn't enough evidence?

Total, 100%, unadulterated, bullsheet! From the ref calling it a TD when he couldn't even see the ball to them not even bothering to look into who came up with the ball after the fumble. :angry:

Ozzy likes this.
  31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not agree with that. Not because it is not the right thing, it is because that is not how the rule works.

I have seen cases when one team has three people going for the ball, there is a pile and the other teams gets it.

IMO they should change the rule in the case of it being in the endzone the original team does get the ball back, however they get the ball back at the 20 or 30, since fumbling in the endzone should be a huge penalty.

32. Soundwave

Soundwave Phins Sympathizer..

Apr 15, 2008

:up:

33. Ozzy

We see the same thing on almost every fumble. What we also see is the refs usually stay with the pile and they figure out who has it. In many cases the pile is too hard for them to get up in there and see whats going on. They always come up with a conclusion though. Which is what they should have done in this case....

Califin likes this.
  34. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010

“It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that,” said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls.

“It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly,” Leavy said of the game in February 2006. “I’ll go to my grave wishing that I’d been better.”

Maybe this explains why a QB with the worst numbers in Super Bowl history won?
    :up:

35. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

GTF back to POFO. It's the only place I like you.

36. ilovemyfins4eva

ilovemyfins4eva New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    long island
    ya mr goodell, ur league refs handled this call great u douche. i hope that since they have done such a good job that u decide to give them big raises and let them ref bigger games u ****in douche.

**** u goodell and ur ****in part time refs who r ****in jokes. may u all burn.

37. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I agree he lost it but 2 yards shy??? I think he lost it much closer than that.