1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expectations For Hennehill's Second Year As A Starter

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Just perusing henne's stats and he had a 75.2 rating after his first full year as a starter and we were excited thinking we had a potential franchise QB whom we expected to see progress in his second year starting. Didn't happen.

Tannehill had a rating of 76.1 for his first year starting (with only two years of college starts and no first year learning as a backup).

Should we temper our assumption that Tannehill *will* progress this year, having gone down this road once before, or is there enough different evidence to suggest Tannehill will not suffer Henne's fate?

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    My first expectation would be that he plays to a level that he never gets called "Hennehill" again.

3. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    So much this /thread :)

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    The sample size is too small and the variables are too vast.

Bpk likes this.
  5. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

6. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I wish the word Henne would just go away.

/looks at screen name
    //oh well

7. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Screenname can be changed :)

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    750 yards 5 tds 59 receptions

Bpk and Boik14 like this.
  9. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Who will throw him the ball, Hartron?

10. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    oh yeah? Can you change my to.. I dont know.. Toddsphins maybe?

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Why the "Hennehill"?

Is necessary do?

Serious Really?

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  12. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Over Ryan's final 6 games of his rookie season, he completed 103 of 176 passes (58.5%) for 1,174 yards, 6 TDs, and 2 INTs for an 85.3 QBR. My expectations is for him to continue building off what he did in those games and continue his ascension.

13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Wow, didnt realize that. Makes me even happier about this kids future!

NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
  14. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Hennehill? This can't be, from most of the posters I have read Tannehill is already an elite QB whose every pass was perfect if he just had play makers around him.

15. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Having Marshall to throw to didn't do anything for Henne's numbers. Just as it didn't do anything for Cutler's this year. That getting a #1 WR that puts up big numbers makes a QB so much better than he was before is one of the myths of football.

16. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    said no one, ever.

17. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    There really is no comparison. The one thing that doomed Chad Henne is that he did not improve. He continued to make the same mistakes week in and week out. There were very few times where I saw Ryan Tannehill make the same mistake twice.

In Chad Henne's final 6 games of his first year as a starter, which was his second year in the league after being a 4 year starter at Michigan, he completed 147 of 233 (63%) for 1,541 yards, 6 TDS, and 10 INTs for a QBR of 72.9.

Ryan Tannehill, who has 35 career starts as a professional and collegiate quarterback combined, finished his rookie year a lot stronger than Chad Henne finished his first year as a starter. Miami fans in general got excited about Chad Henne because he had three 300+ yard passing games to end that season, but that's because fans get excited about empty volume stats.

Another thing that separated them was their accuracy on down field passes 20+ yards in distance. Chad Henne in 2009 had an accuracy percentage of 29.8 on those passes (47 attempts). Ryan Tannehill's had an accuracy percentage of 43.1 on 51 attempts.

18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    lol thats been retired imo but if you pm crunch with an official request maybe....

djphinfan and ToddPhin like this.
  19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Especially if he has Wallace and Austin to throw to next season.

NolesNPhinsFan and GMJohnson like this.
  20. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    With Wallace, I anticipate the interceptions will go up because Wallace won't run the route at the right depth and will round it off, giving the DB ample opportunity to jump the route. Hopefully though, Ryan will continue to throw the ball to the receivers who run their routes appropriately.

21. Bpk

lol. I knew it would stir the pot, that's why I went with it.

I agree with you though!!!

22. Bpk

BlameItOnTheTannehill would be very premature.

felly smarts likes this.
  23. Bpk

Totally agree. I think he is wordls better than Henne, and I have more confidence in him than I did at any point with Henne, ever.

Wanted to at least make sure we checked ourselves though.

I mean, we are all acting like the Frnachise QB thing is 100% settled and the truth is, we just aren;t sure yet. It looks promising, but until the end of this season, we can't be so certain that it;s never discussed when the draft, free agency and other things come up. I'd hope to get a solid developmental QB into the fold if they are okay with Devlin at #2. If not, a solid backup and we upgrade Devlin to a better prospect.

Tannehill looks promising, but that promise is yet to be delivered.

24. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Of those 6 games, 4 were against the Seahawks, Patriots twice, and the 49ers. Among those four games, what's most impressive to me, is that he made it through the first Patriots game and the 49ers game without turning the ball over. He threw his 2 picks in that 6 game span against the Seahawks (had another called back due to roughing the passer), and the last Patriots game.

25. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Another odd stat that may only interest me, but of his 13INTs Tannehill threw, 10 of them came in 4 games: Houston (3), Arizona (2), Tennessee (3), first Bills game (2). Other than Arizona where he was two yards away from setting what would've then been the record for most passing yards in a game by a rookie (Luck would've broken it later - we all remember that game), I think you could identify the Texans, Titans, and Bills games as his worst three overall during the season. So, it appears that when he's having a bad game, it can get BAD, otherwise I think he's pretty steady. And with the offense around him last year, that's pretty impressive. The only awful pick I recall off the top of my head was the pick-6 in the first Jets game.

Edit - That should have read the only awful pick I can recall not within those 4 games was the pick-6 in the first Jets game.

eltos_lightfoot and Bpk like this.
  26. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    2 against Tenneseee were pretty bad interceptions. One was when he forced it to Fasano. The other was in the Red Zone, I believe. He was staring down a receiver and was picked off by a linebacker who was then chased down by Tannehill along the sidelines.

27. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    He had a pretty herpy derp one against the Jets the first time we played them in 2012. He's only going to get better.

28. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    As far as what I'd expect from him this season, the thing that stands out to me the most would be him utilizing his running skills. We saw that essentially from the Seattle game onward to the end of the season. I think part of that may have been his knee injury, but it really provided a nice weapon later in the year. I'm not predicting RGIII type attempts and/or numbers, but I think it'll be used more.

I also think he'll be a little bit like Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers in that I think he'll extend plays more and make throws outside the pocket more often. He, in theory, should have more experience and will hopefully, again in theory, have a much more athletic supporting cast around him. I also think that getting more athletic on the O-line would help too. I re-watched the game against the 49ers tonight, and man, John Jerry was getting abused quite a bit by Ray McDonald and Ricky Jean-Francois. Nate Garner is little more than depth, if that. Most of his incomplete passes in that game were, in my opinion, due to having to throw in a constricted pocket...and Marlon Moore's drop.

Hopefully he can build on last year, and my biggest hope would be that he avoids the "sophomore" slump. If he can post numbers similar to what Cam Newton and Andy Dalton did this year in their 2nd years, I'd be pretty happy. Hopefully Tannehill's efforts would also mean more wins than Cam Newton and Andy Dalton produced as well.

29. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I meant that last sentence to be that the only awful pick outside of the 4 games I mentioned, was the pick-6 in the Jets game.

Anonymous likes this.
  30. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Because losing your #1 receiver in Johnny Knox, losing your #2 receiver (roy williams ... yeah I know that ain't much) and then losing your replacement for them for part of the year (Alshon jeffery) counts for nothing.

The fact they ended up with the same amount of yards means Brandon singlehandedly replaced 2.5 receivers.

Yeah you can look at the stat line for 2011 and then 2012 and proclaim Brandon Marshall did nothing. Or you can actually look to see what happened and say, he saved their passing game.

Without Marshall they would have been passing to ..Alshon who missed part of the year, Earl Bennett, and ... yeah there isn't anyone. Let's ignore all of that.

pumpdogs and Justright like this.
  31. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    The term franchise quarterback is one that gets thrown around a lot, and several quarterbacks get mislabeled with that description when the fact of the matter is that there are only about 4, maybe 5, legitimate "franchise" quarterbacks in the NFL:

1. Aaron Rodgers
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Drew Brees
    4. Peyton Manning

You can debate for Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, but I'm not totally convinced that they fall under the category of franchise quarterback the way I define it.

PhiNomina likes this.
  32. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Tell us how you really feel, KB....

Seriously, you're beginning to sound like the Irish haters...no matter what post you make, you have to dis Wallace in it somehow...at any rate, he still represents 8 td receptions a year that we don't have now...

OT: Please, I was one of those guys that thought that Henne was going to be able to do better after his first year...I was wrong, dead wrong... Just the name gives me nightmares, so no more 'Hennehill' please.... But I think there is much more to Tanny's game than there ever was to Henne. If Tanny put up slightly better numbers than Henne with arguably a lesser surrounding cast and we have a coach that seems to be able to utilize his skillset... The rest, we'll have to wait and see on...

33. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    So you think he maintains his TD production in a system he does not fit in without the league's best improviser at quarterback?

34. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I think the hyperbole sensors just went off.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  35. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    The biggest unknown is Hennehill's legs. Using him as a runner may help quite a bit, ala Wilson and Kaepernick did in 2012. That's the unknown that can blow up in 2013 and allow Phins to dominate.
    Other than that, it's the same old, no ability in the redzone, more ints than TDs. If they get Jennings, I could see a bit of improvement, otherwise, no.
    Considering they will revamp corner position, get rid of Bush, I don't see them beating the 7-9 record next year.

36. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This "Hennehill" stuff is really, really bad trolling.

Miles Austin restructured his contract to stay with the Cowboys.

37. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think he meant Tavon Austin, if Miami were to daft him.

MrClean likes this.
  38. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Tannehills decision making last year was the most encouraging thing I saw from him. The Landry pick 6 was awful, admittedly. But he rarely if ever looked confused, intimidated or overwhelmed. Part of that was simplified play calling and easy reads but if you look at his INTs individually most of them were tipped balls, receiver error or late game risk taking. I can live with those all day.

39. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't know about that, it can't be quantified but I do know that Wallace has something that we don't have ANY of now and that's speed. Whether you run a vertical offense or a WCO, it's a prime enhancement of the offense...

And if we end up signing Jennings instead of Wallace, I won't be disappointed, but we only be marginally quicker on offense than we were last year with Jennings over Bess (on the outside)...still an improvement either way...

On another front, I'm really beginning to think that the interest in Wallace is more of ruse....I think Irish is interested. I think he KNOWS he has to do something. I think he'll be more aggressive than last offseason, but I don't think he opens up the purse strings quite as much as Wallace is asking, apparently...

40. I have no expectations just hope right now. He did ok last year I hope he does better next year. I am curious to see how he does now that DCs have some film on him.