1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expectations?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NolePhin, Jun 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Of course, we would all love to see the Dolphins go perfect this season and win the Super Bowl. But according to what we accomplished last year, our current roster, and our current schedule, what do you realistically expect from the Dolphins this year?

I have seen a lot of 9-7/10-6 predictions. Do you see us getting into the playoffs, if so how far?

Once again guys, lets put our hopes and biased opinions aside this time.

As far as our record, I can see us winning 8 or 9. Which may or may not get us into the playoffs.

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I expect 10+ wins.

3. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I expect the Phins to go out there and play hard in every game. Anything other than that is a bonus.

4. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    19-0.
    Until we lose a game, we go undefeated. I expect a win every game we go in to play. Because if you dont think you can win, why play the game?

But on a serious note, 10+ wins sound about right.

Sceeto likes this.
  5. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    You enjoyed 1-15?
    Because surely we didin't go 1-15 because of lack of effort.

6. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Super Bowl Champs or bust, just like very year. The season is a fun, hard, nervous and sometimes frustrating road. But every win makes it worth it. I can't wait!

HULKFish and steveincolorado like this.
  7. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    As long as Chad Pennington stays healthy, the Dolphins are going to be very savage this year.

8. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Your memory betrays you :wink2:

I think the best example of the players giving up was when ck pointed out that Marty Booker was jogging his routes, from start to finish, right to the bench without even looking back at the QB. Add to that the talk of Rex Hadnot admitting that the OL wasn't playing as hard with Beck in there, and Cameron losing the locker room, it all leads to the conclusion that they weren't giving it their all.

9. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Agreed. The NFL is a coaches league. Give me Sparano with questionable talent over Cameron with great talent. With the parity that exists today, its effort, cohesion, camaraderie, and game-planning that separates winners from losers.

Xeticus, MonstBlitz, cnc66 and 3 others like this.
  10. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Looks like Mike got most of it, but I also remember thinking that the team looked like they gave up at the end of games so many times that year. :pity:

like2god likes this.
  11. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i expect more games like the first n.e game. i don't think my heart can take anymore k.c games.most of the games we won the last few years were very close so for once i'd like to see us snot some noses this year.

also i'd expect to beat the texans for once.

and finally i'd like to see atleast one playoff win as it would mean we improved on our record from last yr and who doesn't want to see improvement?

oh and for the jets to go 0-16

HULKFish, cnc66, Puka-head and 2 others like this.
  12. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    we lost 6 (?) games by 3 or less. The texan games, the first week of the season. They played hard.

13. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Brother, I just gave you 3 very good examples to the contrary, one of them you can go back and watch for yourself, one came from Hadnot and the other was plastered all over the South Florida media. I think it's clear, that while they were talented and injuries played a role in the record, that many of the players had given up, which is to be expected when a team is winless heading into the final stretch of the season. :up:

djphinfan likes this.
  14. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I think we will see improvement in terms of execution and how hard/well the teams plays...as a team. But, I fear less success in terms of W/L simply because of the schedule and the division we're in. I think 9-7/10-6 sounds about right. Will that be good enough to get us into the playoffs? Well, that's why we watch the games, right?

15. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    IMO I think if any of the players slack off Sparano will take care of them fast.
    I don't think he'll put up with any nonsense.
    I'm hoping for 10 or more and a play off berth. THEN the Super Bowl. How grand would that be?
    We just have to stay healthy and focused and we can do it.

16. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Perfect:up:

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  17. dukane5

dukane5 New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I believe we can win 11 and then winning our 1st round playoff game....after that...I can only hope!!

18. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Under Sparano, and this regime, I do not question the players desire to win or give it their all every snap.

Of course, the obvious sign of improvement would be to either win more games than last season, or go further into the playoffs. But is that the only way to rate progress?

What if we win less than 11 games, and we don't get past the first round of the playoffs, or even get into the playoffs. Would you guys say that we did not progress?

Just because we don't get further than we did last year, doesn't mean we are not a better football team. Does it?

19. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Nope. I think we have already come a long way. IMO you'd almost have to break down each play and player to see all the improvements. Our guys are showing their stuff and I think, no matter what. We have improved a lot and will hopefully continue to do so whether we win everything or not.
    BUT to win is the goal and I want to see them just go out and obliterate the opposing teams.

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thats exactly why that team was pathetic, amongst other things, like sabatoge. There were players on that team that were not true, and thats a direct reflection on the lack of a coach being able to unify his team with his presense and his philosophy.

This team, this year, has chance to become a great football team, their already very dangerous with their disipline, work ethic, unity, {i believe those things win champioships if the talent is similar}, with the influx of talent and size, The hybrid, and the fact that all our skill position players are in their prime, I see us in the playoffs and winning a game once we get there {dont care about the record}. anything after that, we'll just have to wait and see how good we are at that point.

Iam tellin ya right now, this year is gonna be special. The NFL has no idea, but the guy to my left does.

calphin likes this.
  21. dolfan94

dolfan94 New Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I expect 10 wins, getting the wildcard, and winning the 1st round due to our playoff experience, and losing in the divisional round

22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This might sound "odd" but me Expectations are:

Sparano, Ireland and Tuna are shown to be "right", if that makes sense, 10 wins are within our grasp, what is more important is players such as Pat White and Phil Merling and Cam Wake and JT and Don Thomas and Davis and Smith all play at a level that surprises even the most Homerish PhinFan.
    ]
    I truly expect all of the longshot talent to play at a high level this season, I seriously expect that from this team, anything less is unacceptable.

I expect to see a team that reflects Head Coach Sparano, a tough, disciplined unit that beats the opponents up on offense, and beats them up on defense and just wreaks havoc.

For me, I want a System that works, is reproducable, and wins games with a minimum of penalties and turnovers and is ready and prepared to win every game we play this season and for the next 4 seasons.

We won't have the Bill "Big Tuna" Parcell's forever, we can expect that Ireland and Sparano are Parcell's mini me's, to me that is the real test this season, and what should have every Dolphins Fan's expectations hovering around "We will be as good as we were during the Don's reign in Miami" expectation point.

dolphindebby likes this.
  23. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    I expect 7-9 from the Dolphins this year.

24. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    With 2 of those wins against the Jets:wink2:

25. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Out of curiosity where do you put the Jets then?

dolfan94 likes this.
  26. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I know where to put them....hehehe:shifty:

27. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    In all honesty, I love the schedule that we have. Not one easy game on it. To be the best, we need to beat the best.

I'm looking very forward to week 1, lets's just see what we can do.:up:

HULKFish likes this.
  28. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    I feel quite the opposite, 2 losses at the hands of the Jets.

9-7

Atlanta is tough. A lot of people have overlooked them on this board as a lock for a week 1 win. I think the Falcons offense will be nuts this year. I see them winning that game.

29. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    7-9/8-8 for both Miami & New York.

New England returns to dominance with Brady healthy and additions such as Joey Galloway (as a #3, not as a starter like he was asked to do in Tampa and was still doing well before 2008 injury), Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs, Darius Butler, Chris Baker, Alex Smith, Fred Taylor & Greg Lewis.

30. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    They have given up due to couple of things, but one of them was because they played hard in the beginning...and didn't win anything.

I understand where you are coming from, and I agree.
    I just find it hard to belive that "They go out and try they hardest"
    Im curious, (and im not trying to come off an ***) what is your goal for the team?
    Play hard? go 11-5? Win a playoff game?

31. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    a quitter is a quitter Mark.. do YOU want one on YOUR team.. someone that when things don't go your way quits?

32. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I don't make predictions, mainly because I set my hopes and expectations too high year after year only to have them dashed because of injuries, poor coaching, etc. The last prediction that I made was that the combo of Porter and Taylor would dominate and terrorize opposing QB's, and we all know how that worked out. So now I look forward to watching the players work hard and bust their asses on every play, that's all I expect and that's what we need our players to do in order to win. :up:

:hi5:

33. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Who is this other team you speak of?:wink2:

34. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    11-5, while in the process of taking over the division for the next 4-5 seasons! Even if we lost in the playoffs again I'd LOVE to win the division while beating up on the JESTs, Jills and Patsies! Sorry, I'm never one to back down from predictions...

35. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I just don't want to backslide, I see no reason why they can't be competitive in any game this season. My expectation is to take a step up from last season in the sense that they are better at closing games out. I do feel it will be between Miami and the Bastriots. Any notion that the Jets will be better than Miami is laughable at best and the Bills I expect to be the cellar dweller of the division this year.

dolphindebby likes this.
  36. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I think we can win 10-11 games this year. We beat a lot of teams last year we were not supposed to beat. This year's team is more talented I think and has a 2nd year in the same system. Consistency, talent and a winning attitude will help us win some games against talented teams. I think we'll be fine.