1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expecting a lot of rollouts from Tannehill early on

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    With the offensive line struggling to come together and gel, I think it makes sense. Especially since it's one of Tannehill's strengths to use his athleticism to get out of the pocket and use his strong arm. He's very accurate on the move as well. It would also allow us to get the tight ends out running routes instead of having to stay in and help block.

Just thinking out loud here.

smahtaz, xphinfanx and maynard like this.
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think there likely will be a lot, just by nature of the offense. Sherman basically described his offense as sounding a lot like Shanahan-style football when differentiating it from other offenses from the WCO tree.

I don't think it's at all an issue with the offensive line needing to "gel" or that they are likely to struggle. It's basically Jonathan Martin, and we'll see what happens in regards to that. They've got options.

I tend to think Martin will be the starter. They seemed to be willing to let Bryan Bulaga take his knocks as a rookie in Green Bay. He got his *** kicked pretty bad several times through the first 2/3rds of his rookie campaign and then he started to turn it around and had a quite good 2011.

The Packers also had a really robust blocking scheme. There was times they'd line up with a fullback and tight end in the backfield in shotgun formations, and Anthony Fasano is adept enough that he's capable of blocking outside of his weight class towards smaller down linemen.

3. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    He is good at the rollout I'm afraid that will get him hurt if he does it to much.

4. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have thought alot about this as well and to reallybe honest we are setting this kid up to fail. We have no run game so far, no recievers to throw the ball to, no pass protection, and a terrible defense by all accounts so far.

Saying that I think it can show you a lot about the kind of guy you have in Tannehill if he can take this season as a learning experience and really get ready for the next 3 years.

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I think the opposite actually. If they don't move him around enough I'm afraid he could get hit a bit more than we'd like to see. And like I said, getting him out of the pocket allows him to use his athleticism, which is a strong suit of his.

Of course, we all hope the line gets itself figured out so we can do whatever we like.

6. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    That's exactly why I'm afraid of it since it's his strong point if he does it to much, the Phins play some very good defenses which will do their homework on him. He is no Michael Vick leaving a pocket but will be an open target still the same. Hopefully he will be able to burn them enough keeping opposing D's at bay enough to stay healthy making those big plays. I have high hopes for Tannehill but to succeed he must stay healthy.

To me it seems like the chances of a high speed impact will be more if he is out in the open field running and twisting his body.

7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

According to PFF he struggled all during the regular season, improved in the playoffs, then regressed in the Super Bowl. The Packers also did the same thing with Newhouse at LT last season, and he struggled even more than Bulaga did. So looking at those two, I agree it is pretty likely we are going to see a season of Martin learning and taking his lumps, and if his path of progress follows either Bulaga or Newhouse, probably shouldn't expect much til next season.