1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extending Wireless LAN signal

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by BigDogsHunt, Mar 9, 2009.

1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ok, so simple question...what is the best or easiest way to extend my Wireless LAN signal in the home?

Recently, my coverage has been spotty heading from my office (Linksys G router) and directly out about 50 feet past the kitchen into the living room.
    Coverage is fine Upstairs - and in the adjoining Library/play room (weird I know), and out about 30 feet in the same direction to the kitchen, but again sporadic past that to this one area of the house (on the same floor).

I say recently, cause it was fine, but lately it drops on and off to an annoying rate (not sure if its battling with other neighborhood signals or what).

So, is there a repeater that I can plug in and boost the signal?? I have a cable line in the Living room, but dont want to set up another modem or IP; if I added another router in the living room, would it simply duplicate my existing SSID connection???

What do the experts recommend?

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Yes there are repeaters and range extenders that will work fine for your case. They're easy to setup when you have the router and inexpensive.

3. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Should I stick with Linksys repeater to match the router? Do you recommend any specific ones?:up:

4. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    BigDogsHunt likes this.
  5. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    There is a thing called Windsurfer that I use. It seems to have moderate to good success in my house (my PS3-downstairs-went from an average of a 72% signal to usually a 87%-92% signal now). Its easy, free, and a lot of people love it. Its worth a shot before you go out and spend money even if it doesn't work.

Link to info./template you will need:
    http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

Demo of how to use it:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOBfxbpxosA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOBfxbpxosA[/ame]

fins4o8, like2god and BigDogsHunt like this.
  6. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If your home uses a single breaker box, or the affected areas are on the same one, POE (Power Over Ethernet) might be what the doctor ordered.

Basically you run a cable from your router into a POE adapter, which plugs into an electrical outlet in the wall. You take the other POE adapter, which itself is a wireless access point, and plug it into an outlet somewhere else in the house. The signal travels through the electrical between the POE adapters, effectively extending your coverage area.

If you can't find the necessary parts, you could go strictly 'wired' POE and place an access point on the other end. Maybe the easier way to go, as sometimes the wireless POE's can be problematic to configure if you want to secure the network.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  7. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Cool, will give that a shot before I venture out to spend other $$$$. Seems easy enough!

thanks...

8. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Also remember when you use them to play around with your antennas to get the best signal (just move them into different positions until you get your desired results). If you can get it to work then you are good to go and you'll save some dough. :shifty:

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  9. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    lol I thought that was a joke after I clicked on the link

10. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Yeah it looks fake and stupid but they work. :lol:

11. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Just built it.....it works....crazy; but it works!

thanks...that will save a few $$$$.

sking29, NJFINSFAN1 and like2god like this.
  12. Oboy

Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That is wild! Where was this a few years ago. I went out and bought a WAP and took the time to wire it up. lol

13. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Glad to hear that. :up: