1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falcons taking a very close look at quarterbacks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    nice read indeed. thanks for sharing.

I agree with that article though... if we don't take Ryan (and i don't think we will) then I believe he will go to Atlanta. id be surprised if they pass.

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Its a toss up. I dont think their GM really is all that high on him, but the owner is. Looking at it from a business perspective ... they need someone to replace Vick as the star of the franchise, to make the fans forget the Vick era and to get them back in the stadium. Ryan and McFadden really are likely the only 2 guys who will do that.
    From a football perspective ... some may not be entirely sold on Ryan as a franchise QB, but scouts seem to have put him pretty far ahead of the pack. And the Falcons need a QB, in a word, badly. Joey Harrington and Chris Redmond? Really? Id rather take the Bears duo of Grossman and Orton than Joey and Chris. They are terrible terrible QBs, barely worth the backup spot, let alone the starting job. Ryan would fill an immense gaping hole in their roster.
    Still, this team is arguably more devoid of talent than other bottom teams (such as us), and have many holes to fill. Dorsey along the DL would be perfect, as would Jake on the OL. They could opt to trade back with someone who wants Ryan or DMac badly enough and get more picks. Who knows.
    But the bottom line is ... QB is the most vital position on the roster. And history shows that you have a better shot of grabbing a franchise QB in early round 1 than you do anytime later in the draft. Does that mean Ryan will succeed and guys like Henne and Flacco will be laughed out of the league? Of course not, but Ryan DOES arguably represent the greatest chance of becoming the kind of player needed to take a team to the SB.