1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fallout: New Vegas golden

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by mor911, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I seriously, seriously doubt that number.

Wise crack :lol:

But I like the game just fine. It's just that it isn't nearly as complex and extensive as Fallout 3. It's more like a big add on really than a new game.

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I remembered where I got the numbers from. Check the Changes from Fallout 3 section.

Note that it only compares the standalone games and doesn’t include DLC in the count.

If nothing else, I’m good for a smartass remark. :up:

Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If they had fixed the UI, squashed the bugs, maybe spruced up the textures and the NPC animations, there really wouldn’t be a whole lot to complain about. I guess that’s what mods are for, though.

3. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Desires are you still having hitching or stuttering issues ?? I found a little program on majorgeeks that solved my issues I had some freeze issues as well..it's by Iobit 360 "game enhancer" or some such and it basically shuts of everything in the background..I usually do that manually but even after I had finished closing stuff it still found 25+ things running to turn off.

It's a simple slider that you turn on before you game the off when you are done...cleaned me up perfectly runs much much better for me now.

*EDIT*

its called "Game Booster*

mor911 likes this.
  4. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The Catalyst 10.10c drivers mostly solved performance issues on my system.

Background services don’t really eat a lot of memory, and Windows 7 shuts down nonessential services when running full screen 3D apps anyway.

Zeke0123 likes this.
  5. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    See I've played through every Fallout as well. (Fallout 1 multiple times) I even had the Fallout 1 DEMO back in the day on PC. I remember you had to join a gang and go kill the other gang. I was hooked. I've always been an RPG guy so seeing the action points etc was badass in my book. I was almost hooked on just making characters hahaha.

Fallout 3 was longer if you include traveling. Charisma used to be worth something back in F1 and F2 so I always took 4-5 because I didn't want to be hideous to people hahaha. I didn't really talk to people about F3 (besides my siblings) but I just remember in general there being a lot less quests overall. Otherwise there's about twice as many places to go and a ton of quests at every place. You can take this game so many ways. BTW I don't generally look up spoilers or anything to beat the game but I explore damn near everything I can. 20 hours just seemed like you did everything crazy fast. I'll get back on how many hours I have on it later after the World Series.

6. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I'm about 10-12 hours in.
    I'm doing a bit of both, side quests and main quests. I'm in no rush to get to the end because of f3. Since I mostly use plasma rifles, I was lucky enough to find the best one (I think) in that RoBoCo facility.

Caps seem to be alot easier to come by. I have something like 14k caps just by collecting and selling. Boon IS a badass. I got to Vegas, confronted Benny. He didn't wanna give me the chip, instead he offered to be cool. So I dropped him. Talked to yes man, but when I go back to see him, he isn't there. Legion hates me (I knew I will start killing them sooner or later, but I didn't wanna start it first lol) but Boone took care of that for me. I have tons of rep with NCR, but I don't care for them, especially because I wasn't s fan back in f1 and f2. Quest wise, no doubt thst NV has more, the numbers Des posted look believable. I haven't looked ahead, but based on all the spoilers I'm confused. I don't like either party, nor House. I'm trying to play as a nice guy, but kicking off Housr would seem like a dick move. So I decided to get cool with Brotherhood to grt my power armor on, and do some side quests. Think I'll drop Ceaser before any quests. Just for ****s and giggles. Any advice without spoiling anything major?

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Question

How do I get the Brotherhood of Steel to join me? I've done their entire quest and when I go back to yesman, he doesn't give me any options except ignore them. I did help Haldin try to overthrow the leader FYI.

8. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    How do you recruit cass? do you have ro do the crimson caravan quest first? Also I assume you can,but can you become a ranger? I want that badass looking armor on the cover

9. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Once you get your comped suite in the Lucky 38, you can tell whoever’s currently following you to part ways and meet you there. Then you can recruit Cass with a sufficiently high speech stat.

10. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Man I'm sooo behind. I just liberated Prim and but that guy from the prison in charge. That prison was a rough level. Died a few times... Had to get jacked up on Jet to make it....

11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    If you walked up to the entrance of the prison without shooting anyone, they let you in after you pay a toll.

12. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    They fired on sight.... Probably because I went to war with that gang in the first town.

13. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That might have been it.

14. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    My speech is terrible looks like I'll never get her

15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Upgrade! :lol: It’s not that tough to get her. I think you can get her without the speech stat. There’s always more than one way in this game.

16. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Just finished vault 22, what a trippy quest. Don't know what issues you were having clark.

17. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    You have to do the Crimson Caravan quest line until you get the quest to buy out Cass' caravan. Then go see Cass and pass a 50 speech check. If you do not have 50 speech, your character sucks.

Seriously though, you should be able to get to 50 with a magazine at least. Otherwise your character really does suck :up:

18. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Unfortunately ... no. Speech is easily the most important skill of you are a completionist. Along with, get this, barter.

19. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Just to elaborate on the Cass and speech thing a little: It's really important to get the Comprehension perk. Not because of the extra skill point when reading books (you should start with a high enough INT to max skills anyway) but because of the magazine bonus. With Comprehension, you can easily pass most skill checks of the game without problems and rather early at that. You can also afford to keep lockpick at 80 and simply read a mag when you stumble across a very hard lock. Like, say, to get the unique sniper rifle.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Of course, but there are definitely ways to recruit Cass without the speech requirement.

Either way, I make it a point to boost Speech, Barter, and Lockpicking as high as possible as early as possible. The game really encourages you to be a slick little bastard.

21. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I havent put a single point into speech. I always have a high speech so Im trying a different play style.

22. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Beat it.

My ending was...

I chose to **** over the NCR and the Legion. I wish I had killed the legion guys more, there guns are out of this world bad ***. Their 12mm pistols rape, some had bush guns and anti material rifles. My game crashed twice and i had to restart at the end mission (way to put out a ****ty product) but before it did, I picked up a riot shotgun.

Anyway, I speech checked the main bad guy leget (or whatever his name was) and then the NCR came rushing in and I massacred them with the help of my robot army. Then Yesman showed up and told me House had installed protocols that can make him more assertive. He pretty much told me he was in charge now. Kinda sucks, I was hoping to be King of New Vegas. Hopefully in DLC I will be able to go after Yesman to try and become king, or erase my mistake.

23. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    How many hours did you put into it?

24. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Over 20. Don't know how many exactly, but close to 25. Great game minus the bugs and framerate issues. I also hated not getting a perk every level, but I covered that.

25. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Only 25 hours? Were you mostly playing the main quest line?

26. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    just checked. I was WAY off. I'm at 42.09.47 hours. Although now that I know wtf to do, I could do it in 25 I think.

27. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Again were you playing mostly the main quest. Reports when this game came out that there were 100 hours of gameplay available. Now I understand that's probably hyperbole, but just curious how much is out there.

28. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    The vast vast majority of the 42 hours is sidequests. The main quest is short as a ****. I don't know how many quests I missed, but I finished level 29, so I hit a ****load of them I think. I didn't touch the mainquest until 12 hours in. When I did touch it, I left it alone to do more sidequests.

29. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    And the vast majority of them are pretty poorly designed. In Fallout 3, you'd get unique weapons, unique perks and schematics for completing the side quests. In New Vegas, all you get is some caps (which you really don't need; it's kinda silly when you get rewarded 100 caps for a quest where you just looted stuff in excess of 1.000 caps) and maybe some fame. Which, when you get right down to it, you also don't need.

Yes, there might be more quests in New Vegas in terms of sheer numbers. But I would argue that there's actually far less questing as the game's completely lacking any elaborate quest whatsoever. Remember, say, The Wasteland Survival Guide? A complex, multi-part quest with a unique (and pretty nifty) reward. There's no such thing in New Vegas.

Yes, there's a lot of stuff to do but compared to Fallout 3, there's pretty little when it comes to the game world responding to your actions. Heck, even when I blasted the whole NCR army at Helios One with the big bad sonic laser, my reputation only dropped to "Good Hearted Rascal". Pretty much none of your decisions - aside from the ending, of course - have an actual, tangible impact.

Dolfan984 likes this.
  30. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    So....the first DLC will be "exclusively" for 360. Propably won't stay exclusive for too long though. Haven't been able to find WHAT the DLC is all about though.

31. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    This will be the first game I ever purchase dlc for.

32. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    How do I get trained to wear power armor? I did all the brotherhood missions, I didn't overthrow the scribe. Legion hates me, ncr loves me but i haven't really aligned myself with anybody.

33. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    I got the power armor off the dude during the ED-E side quest. Really wish I could wear that stuff (also got the Jerry Rigger perk which is sweeet ;p) I'm level 24 now and I think I have around 36 hours into the game so far.

34. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You didn’t do all the Brotherhood missions. Go back to the Elder. There’s one more mission involving Black Mountain.

35. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I read about it...but he isn't giving it to me. I've waited (fast forward) around 4 days, nothing. I left bunker, did a mission and bout to go back, maybe that will help. Everywhere says wait 24 hrs to lift lockdown, but I've waited more. If me going back in won't work, I'm overthrowing his ***.

36. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    It's glitched. The same thing happened to me. I heard an Ed E mission can get power armor, but I'm not sure. I just said F it and moved on to the main quest to finish.

37. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    If you let the Brotherhood examine ED-E, yeah, it’s apparently a workaround.

It’s amazing how buggy this game is.

38. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Ed-E?
    And yeah, F3 was a bigger world and it wasn't this buggy.

39. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The floating eyebot you can repair in the Mojave Express office in Primm. It has some audio logs that get activated by keywords that are said in conversations by some NPCs. Eventually the Brotherhood and Followers communicate to you through ED-E and ask you to bring it to them. You can only pick one. The Brotherhood will upgrade its attack power.

The Capital Wasteland and Mojave Wasteland are roughly the same size.

40. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    For everyone playing on the PC, this is practically a requirement. It fixes a good number of gameplay-breaking bugs. Not everything, but a lot.