1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fan's Pulse: Should Dolphins bring back Pennington?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Feb 9, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/2/9/1301787/fans-pulse-should-dolphins-bring#storyjump

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Class act. Bring him back if he so chooses.

3. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Nope. His services are no longer needed. We already have One very good QB. One good back-up ans One project

4. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    I'd love to have him back for another year or two

5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think Chris (Sick) has a very good point about a QB controversy. I think he would be a very good backup if he did accept the role, but if he did come in and start playing better if Henne was injured it might create an unwanted guest. I realize that's a lot of "IF's", and not signing him could bite us in the ***. I like Thigpen, but his decision making skills are nowhere near what Pennington's are, and I think Pat White should be considered more of a receiver. Still that would leave Henne (starting IMO), Pennington (Backup), and Thigpen all at QB and that's a lot of talent and probably $ sitting there.

TL;DR - No.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. Irish Phin Fan

Irish Phin Fan New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    You need to have a veteran QB who is willing to mentor the young up and comers. Chad would be perfect. He is a class act and I say bring him back with no hesitation.

7. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Chad Pennington might be the best backup QB in the league. I can't think of one who's honestly better.

If he doesn't wan't a ton of money (he won't) you take a guy like that back. You know Henne and him are buddies and I think it'll help his growth more than stunt it.

dolphindebby and dolfan7171 like this.
  8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I find it tough to believe that there won't be demand for his services on the free agent market. Cleveland, Carolina, Arizona, maybe Minnesota would surely be interested in having him come in and compete for a starting job.

Ultimately, if he generates no interest, I would prefer to have him back as an assistant QB coach. Groom him to take over David Lee's job, and then promote David Lee to OC when Dan Henning is ready to retire again.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    If he's truly willing to come back as the backup and be paid accordingly, I'd sign him up no questions asked.

mullingan and dolfan7171 like this.
  10. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    We would have the best 2nd string QB in the league with Pennington
    We would have the best 3rd string QB in the league with Thigpen

dolfan7171 likes this.
  11. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Alot of people might think Kevin Kolb and Vick are better but interesting thing to argue about

12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Chad Pennington would immediately become the best backup QB in the league, and that includes Mike Vick, IMHO. And you know what they say in this league. You're only as good as your backup QB. For those who think he would be a distraction, I say this - If Chad Pennington came in and significantly outplayed Chad Henne, then Chad Henne would have taken a significant step backward, IMO, and I don't really think he's going to do that. But if he had, then it would be good to have a player like Pennington around. Having two good QBs, or in our case, 3 is a good problem to have.

I think all this hinges on whether or not we can pick up a decent draft pick for Thigpen.

13. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well....

If you read what he is saying....it sounds to me like Chad really just wants to come back to Miami to be part of this franchise in any way that gives value. I cant see any reason why bringing him back as a backup isnt a very good idea, and mostly thats because of Chad himself. This only works with a one in a million guy, and Chad is that guy.

Damn do I wish we could lock him up as a coach for the next 40 years.....I honestly dont want this guy ever leaving this franchise.

And to follow up:

Chad Henne is going to only get better. Given his experience, their was no point what so ever this season when he started where I would have preferred Chad Pennington. Not once did his play cause me any concern that he is anything but our franchise QB. I dont think the front office thinks any different, and I dont think the players think any different, which is why bringing in Chad Pennington as a backup is just fine, because Chad Pennington knows this to be the case.

And we can push Pat White out of the QB role and into a role he can really help the team with. Pat has got to get on the field, hes a winner. Hes got heart, and he can make electric plays with his legs. He isnt an NFL QB. We are completely wasting him and his talent by spending any more time developing him as a QB imo.

14. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

This is the best scenario IMO. However, if Pennington feels like he can still play some...and we can get him to do this next season...I have no problem signing him as a backup.

I have no doubt what so ever, that Chad Pennington will make an incredible offensive co at some point. I would do whatever it takes to start working in that fashion for the Phins....