1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fans Upset About Upcoming LOTR Trilogy Blu ray Release

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by maynard, Apr 3, 2010.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    maybe im a little late to this, but i happened to see a commercial that the LOTR trilogy will be released this week. i went on to amazon to maybe get it and i see that the product has a 1 1/2 star review. then i see that the release is the 'theatrical version.' the extended versions dont come out for another year or so....BS

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Theatrical-Editions/dp/B000X9FLKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1270351048&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Theatrical Editions) [Blu-ray]: Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen, Sean Astin, Liv Tyler, Christopher Lee, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Peter Jackson: Movies & TV[/ame]

they are trying to get you to buy the thing twice...or in some people's case, 4 times lol. there is a pretty large movement on there to stop people from buying the trilogy pack and wait for the extended versions to send a message. i love it and im on board

heck, i have all 3 saved on my DVR in broadcast HD, so can deal. ill just rent the blu rays so i can see them and wait for the next edition

pretty interesting and thought i would share. i like these sort of consumer movements

unluckyluciano, NaboCane and anlgp like this.
  2. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I was going to purchase the blu rays and saw the same thing. Really I'm not that interested in the extended versions necessarily but I won't buy the theater versions just on principle. There's just no reason other than pure greed to not release both at the same time. I mean it not like these movies haven't already raked in hundreds and hundreds of millions, no reason to get over the top greedy like this.

maynard likes this.
  3. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i feel exactly the same way. i hope they get lower than expected sales and expedite the extended

the milked all the DVD releases. just take a look at all the different versions they have

there is something in there in the discussion of peter jackson being interviewed. he talks about how an extended version will have to have 6 discs and cost a lot more. cant a blu ray hold a crap load of data?

maybe they will jack the price of the extended version to screw people?

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Myself I think the extended version of Two Towers was a much better movie. Since it could be longer it fleshed out some scenes and felt less like a disjointed mess.

Soundwave likes this.
  5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    It would indeed cost a lot more, and it probably would get put on multiple discs if it had all the commentaries that came on the original EE's assuming they were actually redone (not sure they couldn't get it on a single discs per movie, I just doubt that they would).

I knew the EE won't be coming out for at least a year (supposed to coincide with "the Hobbit" theatrical release from what I know), and I ordered a copy months and months ago.

I understand some people's frustration, but I don't feel like they need to review a product they don't even have. There are plenty of areas of discussion on Amazon for their "rage."

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    The Books will never rip you off...

pennphinfan and Stitches like this.
  7. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I won't even watch the theatrical release.

8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It depends. When did Jackson specifically make those
    comments? If he said them recently, then he's an idiot. If he said them at least a few months ago, then they're outdated. Blu-Ray discs capable of holding 120GB were very recently approved for production. I would imagine that, even at 1080p, holding an Extended Edition on one disc shouldn't be an issue at that size, especially if they move the extras onto their own discs.

There really shouldn't be a technical barrier to the release of the EEs. I'd imagine they'll come out next year.

9. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    well they did this the first time around with the trilogy as well. i remember my friend back in high school was all into them and would buy them as soon as they came out, and she ended up buying them 3 or 4 times to get all the 'extra' scenes.
    personally i just waited until i found the 3 pack of dvd's on sale at my local video store used for like 5 bucks.

10. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Woah, woah, woah. These movies have EXTENDED versions?!?!?!?! It already takes a year of your life to watch the theatrical versions.

Good gravy.

11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm not eve a huge LOTR nut. First time i watched it was on PPV at home. Up to that point I didn't even know what it was. But it was the extended version. I was hooked!

Saw it again, but this time, unbeknownst to me, was the theatrical version. I didn't know there was more than one. I was like, what the heyo. This version is wack!

12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I haven't watched RotK all the way through yet, but I think they look and sound great.