1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantasy Football Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by The Rev, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Cpt T Kirk

Cpt T Kirk New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    West Virginia
    So a guy is wanting to trade Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, and Mike Williams to me for LeSean McCoy. Should I do it?

2. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I wouldn't... McCoy is about the only healthy playmaker the Eagles have left.

Unless you desperately need another RB and WR, I would pass.

3. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I agree. Especially if its a PPR League. If CJ is back to his 2k self on Sunday for a 2nd week straight i might accept the deal.

4. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    So I don't know if this is going to happen, but if Stevie Johnson is inactive for the Miami/Buffalo game, I will basically have to choose between starting a FLEX or K. On my bench is Ben Roethlisberger (BYE), Rashard Mendenhall (BYE), Darren McFadden (OUT), Miles Austin (OUT), Andre Johnson (BYE), and Jimmy Graham (BYE). That probably looks scary, but I'm 8-2 and actually bought low on Miles Austin and Andre Johnson figuring I could take a couple losses for a playoff boost.

Current Line-Up
    QB - Stafford
    RB (2) - Peterson, Jacobs
    WR (2) - Marshall, Lloyd
    TE - Keller
    FLEX (2) - D.Moore, S.Johnson
    K - Tynes
    DEF - New York Giants

So if Johnson is declared inactive, would you drop Tynes and pick up one of these players? I am hoping that Johnson is active but I figure I may as well prepare for the worse and know what I'm going to do before kickoff tomorrow.

Roy Helu (vs DAL)
    Michael Crabtree (vs ARI)
    Jabar Gaffney (vs DAL)
    Keiland Williams (vs CAR)
    Vincent Brown (vs CHI)
    Greg Little (vs JAX)

5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Which 2 WRs would you pick out of this mess to start this week?

Crabtree vs. STL
    Knox vs. KC
    Bowe @ CHI
    D.Williams @ Buffalo

Thanks in advance!

6. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    This thread ain't very helpful.

7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I think the odds are against Knox having another big week, and IMO Williams is hit or miss, so I'd go with Crabtree vs an injured Rams secondary and Bowe paired with Orton considering Orton's previous success with Brandon Lloyd. But I'd definitely seek a few more opinions. lol.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  8. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If Kyle Orton was definitely starting I'd tend to agree. But with Palko or WTF his name is having 0 TD passes in 2 games, I don't like Bowe's upside. I think your advice is good. But I see Bowe as being a safe play with Knox being a boom or bust play. Right now we're leaning towards Crabree and Knox, but if Orton is officially announced I'll probably take your advice. We have Megatron as our WR1 so we should be ok.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I was under the impression Orton was playing. If he's not, I'd probably go with your Knox pick, too.

I'm having a tough time deciding on my #2 RB (ppr league with return yards at 10 yards per pt).
    Kevin Smith @ NO
    Ryan Mathews @ Jax
    --I'm leaning toward Smith if he's healthy.

...... or which 3 of the following 4:
    Randall Cobb @ Giants
    Antonio Gates @ Jax
    AJ Green @ Pitt
    B Marshall vs Oak.

I'm thinking of sitting Cobb b/c I'm not sure how many return opportunities the stingy Giants will give him (at NY)........ and this is a week where less than 10 points from any of these guys will hurt me after Byroan opened up with a 27 spot from LeSean McCoy. But then again, the Packers could work on getting him more involved in the offense, and he did drop a TD last week.

10. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Smith sounds healthy, I'd go with him. That game will likely be a high scoring one, and Smith is very involved in the passing game.

As for the receivers/tight ends, I'd go with Gates, AJ Green and Marshall. Just roll with your very best players.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I just traded Jordy Nelson for Andre Johnson, straight up. I have a feeling this will either be a genius trade, or a total bust.

On the bright side, I have Calvin Johnson AND Andre Johnson.

12. 1. Do you guys think Miami's D will come up bigger against Oakland or NE D against the colts? I can't decide which way to go. I am leaning toward going with playing Miami just to stick with my rooting interests as a fan. Do you guys think there will be much of a difference either way I play it?

13. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Todd, I got a similar dilemma. Can't decide between Shonn Greene or Kevin Smith. Smith has been impressive and was even looking great before he went down with injury on Thanksgiving. And the lions get their backs involved whether they are down big or not. But will M. Morris (sp?) steal plenty of carries even if he plays?

I'm with you though, if Smith is healthy I'm playing him.

I'm guessing Cobb is getting you lots of return points. I'm not sure what's he's averaging for you, but if it were me I'd Gates, Marshall, and Green. But that's without having Cobbs typical scoring output with your scoring available to me.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  14. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Never play with your heart! Colts are starting a new QB and have been abysmal. New England's D looked much improved against the Eagles. For me it's not even close, play New England. IMHO.

ToddsPhins and shula_guy like this.
  15. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yeah tough to gauge. I got burnt with a similar trade earlier this year when I gave away Julio Jones and Blount for Dwayne Bowe. Johnson is much more talented, but is he healthy enough, and what's that QB situation gonna be like? Hope it works out for you. Well, I don't hope it works out for you this week because the guy I'm playing has Andre Johnson. :lol:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  16. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I rode Andre and Calvin to a big first half until Andre got hurt (picking up Fred Jackson in a late round was a great move also), but his QB situation really worries me. I can easily see the Texans just running it 50 times a game between their deep stable of RBs.

I think the NE defensive resurgence is more a mirage based on them facing poor QB play, but I would be very hard pressed to go against any team playing the colts right now.

Kevin Smith is an iffy play - even healthy the Saints run D has been good at home, and I can easily see the Lions abandon the run early if the Saints start to put up big numbers.

17. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    What are your thoughts on Mark Ingram vs Detroit or Steve Johnson vs Tennessee at the FLEX?

Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden need to return from injury ASAP, lemme tell ya... I am just thankful my playoffs start in week 15.

18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I think that trade could make you more consistent on a weekly basis, but you'd likely lose some of the random gaudy point weeks...... but that could be a good thing depending on your current roster.

19. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I love my roster heading into the playoffs, I just need Michael Vick to return next week and play up to his level (great playoff matchups, pass-first offense, and half the guys on the team fighting for their jobs). Having Jordy go off for 15+ was fun, but they don't even keep that guy on the field of 3 WR sets half the time. Anyway, I could see them easing back on Rodgers and the passing game since they're coasting towards the real playoffs, so I felt he was a sell high.
    When Andre was rehabbing, it was he and TJ Yates working together. They'll have more chemistry than anyone else, so when defenses predictably load the box, I still think Andre will get his chances up the sideline.

QB Vick
    WR1 Calvin Johnson
    WR2 Andre Johnson
    RB1 McCoy
    RB2 Murray
    TE Gates
    Flex Michael Bush
    DEF Jets
    K Bailey

Notable bench players:
    Tim Tebow
    Josh Freeman
    Kevin Smith
    Antonio Brown

ToddsPhins likes this.
  20. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Stevie.

Pierre Thomas and Sproles looked great last week, so Ingram is third fiddle, whereas Stevie Johnson looked great last week and Fitzpatrick looked reborn.

I wonder if McFadden ain't coming back and the Raiders have just left the importunity open each week to force their opponents to gameplan for him.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  21. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    These are my point totals to date:
    Cobbs, 146 (951 return yards, 2 TDs).
    Green, 137
    Gates, 93 (but was injured for a bit).
    Marshall, 136.

Cobb's weekly stuff: 31, 5, 5, 15, 10, 2, 10, 14, 27, 14, 7. At 1 pt per 10 return yards, he's completely dependent upon return yards..... but then again he had 4 targets last week and would've had his first quality receiving point total if he didn't drop 2 passes including a TD. However, Giants have frequently been stingy in the return game.

Gates last 4 games: 14, 14, 9, 20. (One of those should've included a big TD catch that wasn't called. Jax allows 2nd most points to TEs, and Gates had 2 vs them last year. Jax allowed 21 to Keller. Olsen & Shockey, 22 combined. Graham, 25. Gresham, 10. Dreesen & Daniels, 17 combined. Tamme, 10.)

Marshall's last 4 games: 20, 1, 13, 21. (Oak has allowed 6th most pts to WRs, and they seem to have trouble with big WRs: Erick Decker, 12 pts. Kevin Walter, 17. Massaquoi & Greg Little each had 10. Bowe, 12. Stevie Johnson, 21. Plaxico, 13. David Nelson, 19. Oak also allowed 13 to Lloyd, 29 to Welker, 18 to Vincent Brown, and 20 to Harvin.)

Green's last 4 games: 13, 11, 12, 15 (11 points vs Pitt in week 10. He's also had only 1 week with less than 10 pts, so he's been extremely consistent. Pitt allows a stingy 31st most points to WRs, but they basically give up 10-12 points against every big, talented WR).

I think Green will have between 10-14 pts vs Pitt, and Cobb's variance will be between 7 and 20. I have little room for a 7 point outing this week, but I'll also need every point I can get b/c Byroan can also put up a lot of points, which puts me in a quandary. If Cobb catches 3 passes for 50 yards & a TD and adds 75 return yards, then I'm at 20 points. If he has 55 return yards like Ginn and catches 1 pass for 10 yards, then I'm at 7 points.

However, is this the week that GB begins giving Cobb more reps at WR to help keep Jordy, Jennings, and Driver fresh & healthy?

I also have:
    Victor Cruz vs GB
    Dez @ Zona
    Gronkowski vs Indy
    Foster vs Atlanta
    ..... but I see no reason to sit those guys.

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    For this very reason I was contemplating starting both Foster AND Tate.... but they're playing Atlanta who has been tough to run on lately, and they might be forced into throwing more than they like if Ryan continues his hot streak. IMO it'll come down to how Houston's defense responds.

23. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    in a ppr league he can rack up points, especially if this is a shootout or Detroit is playing from behind and Smith takes a lot of dump offs.

24. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    In Detroit's shoot out with Carolina 2 weeks ago, they stayed with Smith (41 pts in my league) vs Morris's 4.

And who knows, maybe Stafford doesn't fully trust his injured pinky after throwing 9 picks the past 3 weeks, making him more inclined to opt for high-percentage check downs. ???? Just a thought. If he's healthy I think Smith could have a big week.

25. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Stevie might be highly focused on redeeming his embarrassment from last week, so there's that to consider. I'd roll with him in a PPR league. If this is a shootout, I could see Sproles seeing more of the action.... but Ingram seems like a threat to punch it in inside the 10 with Suh not playing.

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  26. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    That's the reason I would've done the trade, too, and is also the reason I'm looking forward to Randall Cobb during the remainder of the year. Hopefully he'll be returning punts & kicks while also seeing a lot of action at WR while Jordy & Jennings are rested a bit.

I've kept Kendall Hunter all year (on the bench) hoping that he'll see the bulk of the action during the last 2 weeks in order to rest Gore. I don't know whether to hold onto this idea (and also keep Hunter away from Byroan who has Frank Gore) or if I should drop him for someone else considering my backs (in a 2 back league) are Foster & Tate, Ryan Mathews, and Kevin Smith. I also have 2 flex positions, but Antonio Gates, AJ Green, Jeremy Maclin, and Randall Cobb already occupy those.

Your offense definitely seems promising come playoff time if everyone stays healthy, and Maclin will hopefully be back, too, which will be good for Vick.

27. pocoloco

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Much to my chagrin, Andre Johnson is injured again and will be, at least, questionable for Sunday.

So this leaves me with one of his backups for my playoff game:

Antonio Brown vs Cleveland
    Santonio Holmes vs Kansas City
    Malcolm Floyd vs Buffalo

Normally, I'd start Antonio Brown and not think twice. He's good for 6-8 points consistently, just enough not to hurt you. But Cleveland is the toughest pass defense and I think Pittsburgh might be content to just run it up the gut.

Santonio Holmes is on a bit of a hot streak. He's good for 8-9 targets but only gets 4-5 of those because Sanchez stinks. He's good for 3-5 points, and a red zone look or two. Rex is apparently tweaking the offense as I write, so there's a lot of uncertainty here.

Malcolm Floyd is the ultimate wild card here. He's got the best matchup and coming off a great week, but seems a bit boom or bust to me.

I'm just trying to hold serve with this WR2 position, what do you guys think? I'm still leaning toward Brown because, well, he's got the best QB and Mendenhall (whom my opponent has) is a little gimpy.

28. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'd probably roll with Santonio Holmes, honestly.

29. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    Sounds simple enough.....Michael Vick or Dalton on Cinn. I am just scared of a rusty Vick against the Dolphin defense right now. Hard to root for the Dolphin D and my QB at the same time lol

30. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    That's a tough question, and I don't like either guy for this week but with no better alternatives I would go with Vick. I'm just not willing to trust a rookie QB against Houston's defense. Especially not in the playoffs.

31. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Who would you guys start at RB this week...

Rashard Mendenhall against a 49ers defense that hasn't allowed a rushing touchdown in 2011 and hasn't allowed a 100 yard rusher in 35 games.

Brandon Jacobs against an average Redskins defense but he is looking to split carries with Ahmad Bradshaw.

I am honestly leaning towards Jacobs because the 49ers defense is just scary. Jacobs I can at least hope for 40-50 yards and a score, but Mendenhall? I have no idea...

32. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Ben Roethlisberger being hurt kills me. In a 2 QB league, I'm now starting Phil Rivers and Matt Moore. Moore did have a nice game in the 1st round of my playoffs last week when started him over Ben.

Here is where I need advice:

Antonio Gates vs. Detroit or Aaron Hernandez vs. Miami?

Kevin Smith vs. San Diego, Titus Young vs. San Diego, or Steven Jackson vs. Pittsburgh at my FLEX?

Right now I'm starting Hernandez & Smith.

33. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Defense.

Niners vs Detroit, or Jets vs Pitts?

I really need this one. My opponent had GB who all of a sudden scores 17 pts tonight (jets scored 19 last week)

34. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    So what position is everybody hoping to pick at this year? So many solid 1st round RBs, I'm not so sure I don't want to sit at like 10 and hit back to back.

35. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    #1? I seem to remember reading a study that even if it is a snake draft you still get the most value at the first pick

Plus, after last year why wouldn't you want AP on your team.

36. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Top 6 seems to be the best spot to get a top flight RB.

37. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    AP, Foster, Martin, Charles, Spiller, McCoy, Rice, Richardson... not as high on Lynch or Morris. But thats a solid top 8 RB class this year and I would think one would fall to 10 in a normal casual 10 man league.

38. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Atleast 2 or 3 would fall... Especially in ESPN leagues where they have Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Megatron going in the first round also. Regardless you always want the number 1 pick imo.

39. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Surprised to see MJD falling so late in the mocks I've been in. Leading rusher in 2011 before the broken foot and going into a contract year... and still a 3 down back? Yes please.

Boik14 likes this.
  40. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Ideally I would be drafting at 6-7 or 1-2. How can you go wrong with Adrian Peterson or Arian Foster?

I also am a fan of Rice, Spiller, and McCoy so those would be my picks at 6-7.