1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fasano - Can he block?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The Aqua Crush, Aug 19, 2008.

1. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I was listening to Sirius NFL today and they were mentioning / discussing the importance of the TE position (They were talking about Minny) and it got me wondering about Fasano.

From the limited action, and reports i've seen from him, he seems to catch the ball well and run good routes. His talent is there to be a great option for our QB's.

The coach (can't remember his name) mentioned the dynamic of a TE is that they need to do several things well, thats why their position is so tough to play well, all aspects of it. He said they can be so valueable to a team because of all the other positions they impact and make better.

My next thought which i have not heard much about and I'm looking for some feedback would be with, if Fasano is indeed our starting TE, which by all accounts i think he will be, how is his blocking skills, technique and effectiveness?

The thought is that were going to be a heavy run offense and our oline is progressing nicely and talked about, but I think if Fasano can be a great blocker it would be a huge benefit. But i have no idea or clue as to that part of his game.

Any help or thoughts on the subject are welcomed, I think it has been a bit overlooked with so much going on, but think it will be a huge part to our success on offense.

2. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    From what I understand he is a very solid blocker. It's David Martin that has a lot of difficulties in that regard.

HULKFish and The Aqua Crush like this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He's a good blocker, better than Martin for sure. I believe he will be used as an H-back at times in our system.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  4. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    After watching the first half of the Jags game last night, I'd give Fasano and Martin solid grades on their blocking. Right now, I'd give Fasano, Martin and Peele the three tight end spots on the roster. I like Peele because of his YAC ability. He always seems to do something with the ball. But his blocking is probably the worst of the three.

5. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Well it is great compared to David Martin. Fasano is very solid

6. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I think the added value that presents itself in a blocking TE would be better holes for farther gains for the RB's and also more time for our qb's when a blitz comes. It would seem more important for our team at this point than a catching TE because it helps the RB's and the QB's find recievers.

I found Ronnie to be a good blocker too, and from what i remember Ricky was a good blocker too.

If our secondary blocking personnel can really protect the others on offense i think that would be great for reduced turnovers, more effective running, and more confidence for our newly established passing game.

I think the lack of turnovers in teh Jacksonville game was a good sign of that, even though i didn't get to break down film or anything. I think its an aspect that sometimes gets overlooked, but this coaching staff finds very important to the success of the offense as a whole.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah, I think that's the big thing about this coaching staff and new management. They focus on the small things that will help you win ball games.

Also, back on the original topic, Martin was reported to have improved his blocking this off-season. I didn't get to see the JAX game but according to Paul's post above, he seems to have looked good out there.

8. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    He's blocked quite well when I've paid attention to him.

The play that stands out in my mind was a counter block he put on Chris Hovan the first week. Sealed him off to spring Ricky up the middle.

If we can get that every week, I'll be quite happy.

9. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I hope that one day he'll simply become just a second tight end for us but he probably won't be a liability overall. In blocking he's just fine.

However, he'll probably get at least two years as our starting tight end since our main needs going into 2009 don't include TE.

10. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I think Anthony Fason is a good blocker. If he is not we have a tight end that is very good at blocking Justin Peele