1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favre proved to have talked with Vikes

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by GISH, Jul 23, 2008.

1. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Saw it on the ESPN2 ticker. Says that according to phone records, Favre used a Packers issued cell phone to talk with Brad Childress and Darrell Bevelle of the Vikings multiple times. This confirms the tampering.

Favre is not a very slick individual. If he is even considering coming back to play with the Vikings, then he is extremely selfish, and has no respect for the team and fans that carried him like a god for the past two decades. He is truly showing his colors here. Its all about what Favre wants, bottom line.

Tone_E likes this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The link is in the thread I just posted. :up:.

GISH likes this.
  3. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    This is going to quickly get uglier than it already is.

4. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Going to a division rival would certainly be a slap in the face for Packers fans. This is like Marino going to the Pats, Jets, or Bills.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    BWAHAHAHAHA I was right he is Minnesota bound! :D

6. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Especially b/c Minnesota is at Green Bay on Opening Night and the Packers are supposed to be retiring his jersey at halftime.

:sidelol:

7. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007

I knew there was a reason why I loathed this guy all along.

Was a roller coaster for me. Sometimes I felt he only wanted Marino's records, others I actually pulled for the guy because it seemed he truly loved the game and had fun out there.

Now there is no question, he is a selfish prick, and a dumb one at that.

Gish, you are absolutely right. The fans and communities of GB made him a Godlike figure. That’s all the town had, he was Mr. GB, and for him to tamper with a division rival just goes to show that he took it all for granted, and in the end, never gave a rat’s azz about the people who truly adored him, supported him through his 1300 INTs, and so on. He couldn’t ask for better fans, and to betray them like this is disgusting.

Favre, I hope you go to whatever team you want. I hope you go to MIN and tarnish your reputation. Please, by all means, go ahead. It will be fun to watch you throw more picks. As far as the Iron Man award, that will end when you play GB. If I was McCarthy, I’d tell my players to take “roughing the passer” until you are carried off the field on a cart.

Sorry for my rant. Felt like this about the guy for a while, now without doubt.

8. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    maybe "it was all.....part of the plan..."

alen1 likes this.
  9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol::yes:

10. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I doubt Favre would tarnish his name for the sake of GB hitting MIN with tampering. He is just too damned selfish.

11. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I'm not sure of the timeline on all of this but if Favre started talking with the Viks after all of this bad blood with GB started then I don't blame him. If GB didn't want him back and he felt burned then sure he should talk to whomever and its not a slight to the fans because Favre just wants to play and GB started the problem. Its all about the timeline for me though, if Favre was doing this before all of this hit the fan then yes I do see how he is selfish, maybe someone can enlighten me on the timeline of all this.

Think of it this way, say your married for 17 years and your wife says that she has found someone new and younger and is ready to move on. What do you do, stay on the sidelines or get back in the game by getting on the phone with a different woman?

12. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    You want a timeline? How about GB giving Favre the opportunity to make up his own mind in regards to retiring, for the last 3 years. It was his decision, and his alone. He chose to retire, GB moved on, and all of a sudden Favre expects GB to just throw Aaron Rogers to the bench again because he is having second thoughts? For once he should take responsibility for his actions and understand the consequences of his decisions. Although he appears to be a God in GB, he is merely human, and a prime example of how the NFL is a business. Why should he be the exception to that rule?

13. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Thanks for clearing up the timeline and its as I thought. Also the more I think about this the more I feel that Favre has done nothing to upset the fans but only the organization because if Favre had a choice he wants to be a Packer so to me that rules out any sort of slight to the fans. Now I admit Favre has his selfish tendencies but I feel like a couple years ago when Favre waited until almost training camp to say he wasn't retiring was worse than this. To me if Favre wants to come back its fine and if GB doesn't want him and says no then they should trade him. I just don't see why Favre talking to the Viks is such a big deal simply because he can talk all he wants but he is property of the Packers and they have final say. If GB doesn't want to release Favre they don't have too, if they want to trade him but not to the Viks they can, or if they want to keep Favre its all in GB hands. It just seems this is a little sour grapes, its not like Favre can just drive up to Minnesota and say we'll I'm a Viking, its all up to GB. So this is all being over blown.

In the end its simple for GB, if Favre wants to come back let him compete with Rodgers and if Favre doesn't like that trade him or let him stay retired. It doesn't matter who Favre talks too he is GB's possession. The only dumb thing they could do is release him which is where I see Favre being the most arrogant for asking but I can understand why he asked because of feeling the Packers owed him that much.

What we have to remember is that Favre revived the Packers with his arrival and has made them respectable the past two decades which the franchise hadn't been since the Lombardi days. Favre has also brought huge revenues for the team and I can see where he thinks that he is owed some respect. Plus I do feel that Favre was being pushed along by Thompson to retire maybe not overtly but I believe it was there. However it wasn't undeserved as because of Favre's yearly offseason retirement sagas over the past few years the Packers drafted Rodgers as the QB of the future and I think they resent Brett for making them make that pick because of their fear of him retiring and then by him not wanting to retire it's like their losing a 1st rd pick. So that's where I feel Thompson's problem is and the fact that Favre tries to tell him who to bring in but I believe all the big NFL QBs do that like Roethlisberger wanting a bigger WR. Its an ugly situation and Favre is being selfish but the Packers are being hard to work with. Both in my opinion have their wrongs and rights but with the Viks tampering case I side with Brett.

It is business but it is being mishandled as its not that hard to figure out what to do here. Thompson should have just ended this when it started by saying come back and compete Brett or we'll trade you and that's your ultimatum; then that's it its over. Brett could complain but it would be better for the Packers PR because they would be straight with Favre and not giving him the run around which the fans I feel would respect more. Plus if this wasn't the slow time of the year for sports I doubt this story would be as huge as it is, it would still be big but not like this.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  14. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Problem is, Farve does not have a Packers issued phone!!!

Report: Packers didn't give Favre team-issued cell phone

The Green Bay Press-Gazette, citing two sources -- one in the NFL, another close to Favre -- reported that Favre does not have a team-issued cell phone.

"One-hundred percent, without a doubt, no Packers-issued phone," the source close to Favre said, according to the report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3502994

15. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's coming out that Favre does not have a Packers-issued phone because it would potentially cause salary cap violations if it's not in Favre's contract. IMO, the Packers front office is behind that bit of news. I don't see how they could file tampering charges if they didn't have proof in the phone records, and I don't see how they're getting the phone records if they aren't entitled to a bill--you know, by paying for the damn thing.

Isn't it odd that the two biggest stories of the offseason--Jason Taylor and Brett Favre--are both about self-centered players who don't know when to walk away?

Tone_E likes this.
  16. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Why is JT self centered?

17. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    As a fan of Green Bay (not as much as the Phins ofc), having lived there for several years, a fan of Favre and the green bay legacy, I have to put this mess on him.
    He has left this franchise blowing in the wind for years now waiting on his whims. They gave him the chance to do whatever he wanted.
    He chose, at last, to retire. Green Bay moved on.
    Suddenly, not only does Favre want to come back, but rumors are he wants to come back with the bears or vikings. WHAT!?!?!? YOU DONT DO THAT!! YOU DO NOT GO TO A DIVISION RIVAL LIKE THAT!! If you want to come back, or keep playing, fine. Be like Montana and go far away. Finish your game and have fun. But Favre has created an absolute circus, preying on loyal fans and a fawning media to pressure the Packers into doing whatever he wants.
    PLEASE!!! If he really wants to play, then he needs to do it for whatever team Green Bay will trade him to. If not, then hes not in it for fun, or for love of the game, hes just coming back for selfish reasons.

Just for the record, Shefter was saying the other night on NFL net. that there is 0% chance Favre ends up a viking, and the 2 most likely spots for a trade are the Bucs and *drumroll please* the JETS! Actually, it would make sense too. They have loaded up on FAs and such, and are clearly poised to try and prove the 10-6 record was the real jets rather than last years version. But good luck doing that with Chad "Wounded Duck" Pennington and Kellen "Cleo" Clemmons as your starters.

Tone_E likes this.
  18. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    How is he not? Just look at the demands and conditions he placed on the front office regarding a possible trade; he wanted to go to a big-market team with a lot of national TV appearances as close to Hollywood as possible. He torpedoed a potential three-way trade with the Giants because he refused to restructure his contract to play for them.

And I've yet to dabble into his post-Wannstache conduct, when he was basically made the Godfather of the Dolphins. I do not believe it coincidence that as he was given more prominence and leeway, the team got worse and worse.

19. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    0% chance really? Favre has to agree to the trade which he wont. Once he gets released he is going to be wearing Purple.

20. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    They'll never release him and if they do they officially take the reigns from Buffalo as the dumbest franchise in the NFL.

21. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm telling you he is going to be released either after Pre-season or during the season. Farve knows where he wants to go and GB knows that and thas why their not releasing.

I bet if Vikes had a QB he would have been released by now.

22. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    How much you wanna bet on that Favre will be released?

Because I'll take that bet any day, GB would have to be complete idiots to let him get to the Viks.

23. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    No way they outright release him, that would be a horrible move on their part. The ONLY way they do that is they make him sign some kind of agreement that he wont go to a division rival like the bears or vikes.

Favre in Purple just isnt happening. I mean really, can you possibly imagine the backlash if he goes to Minny who beats GB twice? Or goes further in the playoffs? 0%

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I wouldn't count it out. I think it will come down to Minnesota, Tampa Bay and Washington. I think the likely team is Tampa Bay but I wouldn't count out Minnesota. Also, Washington still has six picks and that's too much for them to handle lol.

25. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Its against the rules to put any kind of restrictions on a release. Washington only has half a million in cap space their out of the running for favre. Favre doesn't want to play for the Bucs because he prefers colder weather.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think he wouldn't mind restructuring if he believed there was a chance at the SB. (I don't think they will make the playoffs but he may disagree)

That's true but the same goes for Bucs as Washington. If he believes that they can get somewhere with him, I think he wouldn't mind the weather.

27. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Farve is faxing the commissioner as soon as today for re-instatement, and will report to the Packers camp this weekend per Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  28. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Im sure this is common knowledge by now, but from what Im hearing Packer fans are so disgusted with BF right now they DO NOT want him to return.

Talk about a fall from grace and a legacy tainted

Tone_E and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  29. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I hear you bro. I was posting this for the family that don't have NFL Network, because ESPN didn't have anything on it's ticker.:hi5:

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  30. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Haha. I didnt mean that Favre coming back was common knowledge, but that the Packer fans being upset about it was widely known. :wink2:

I thanked you because I hadn't heard of his definite return yet. :up:

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  31. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Thanks bro.:up: