1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feb. 2 = 50 years since the music died

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by HolliFinFan, Jan 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. HolliFinFan

HolliFinFan Not a Face Painter Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/sns-ap-music-buddy-holly,0,7417586.story

from the article:
    CLEAR LAKE, Iowa (AP) — It's been 50 years since a single-engine plane crashed into a snow-covered Iowa field, instantly killing three men whose names would become enshrined in the history of rock 'n' roll.

The passing decades haven't diminished fascination with that night on Feb. 2, 1959, when 22-year-old Buddy Holly, 28-year-old J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson and 17-year-old Ritchie Valens performed in Clear Lake and then boarded the plane for a planned 300-mile flight that lasted only minutes.

"It was really like the first rock 'n' roll landmark; the first death," said rock historian Jim Dawson, who has written several books about music of that era. "They say these things come in threes. Well, all three happened at the same time."

Starting Wednesday, thousands of people are expected to gather in the small northern Iowa town where the rock pioneers gave their last performance. They'll come to the Surf Ballroom for symposiums with the three musicians' relatives, sold-out concerts and a ceremony as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame designates the building as its ninth national landmark.

2. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    While Buddy Holly was an absolute genius, the music most certainly did not die 50 years ago. And thank god for that.

3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    liberace died 50 years ago???

4. HolliFinFan

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    :lol: it's a line from "American Pie" (Don Mclean)

5. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm familiar with the song.

6. HolliFinFan

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    Oh cool. I thought you took it literally, when it is metaphoric in nature.:hi5:

7. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvsst7xXsl4&feature=related"]YouTube - Don McLean - American Pie (1992 remix)[/ame]

Love this song.

HolliFinFan likes this.
  8. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    hahaha OPIE.,.you made me look! your avi is killer.. I was scanning the posts for the video. thanks.

There is a local cover band around town, they play this song and Scott absolutely nails it.

opfinistic likes this.
  9. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Beautiful tribute to that horrible day. For the record I once karaoked that song in Vegas. It's sooooooo long I had to order a beer halfway through.

BTW I noticed you still have the Joker thing going on.

cnc66 and HolliFinFan like this.
  10. HolliFinFan

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    I saw Don McLean sing it at an Irish Festival in South Florida circa 1991. His voice was weak, but the crowd didn't care.

opfinistic and cnc66 like this.
  11. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    yea, to lazy to go find the right one.

ohhhhh about 20 years ago I usd to do the 12 hours of Sebring.. ya know, get there Tuesday night, go home Sunday.. anyway, there is this place there called Hooserville.. it's where the serious party happens. Well we, as a group, were making our way there and these two dudes stepped out in front of us, one playing a guitar, the other had the amp and batteries. The dude was done up as Buddy Holly and Lordy could he play. Every stage he went to they had him up on ut plugged un to real amps. We had him over for party at our place Club Waka Waka the following year and got to know him.. fun guy, lots of talent.

12. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    didn't know this til a few years ago when he passed away and i watched a behind the music type show about him on CMT, but country music legend Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on that plane. he got sick, and gave up his spot to the Big Bopper.