1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel good piece about our new playa? Awww yeah.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, May 14, 2021.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Very cool. Good stuff:

2. Pennphinphan

Pennphinphan AKA Pennphinfan but I forgot my login

Dec 25, 2016
    Sorry it's just a pet peeve but I cannot stand unnecessary text to voice. Reminds me of annoying Instagram videos. Whoever put this whole thing together couldn't just read the script on a voice over?

It just makes me think its probably stolen from a news article anyway.

Re: the content, "GPS" is probably gonna be this years "RPO" where the commentators try to squeeze it in every 20 seconds. Still good to see metrics on the otherwise nebulous "shifty" stat

PhinFan1968 and KeyFin like this.
  3. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Yeah, the NATFL channel just takes articles written by someone else and converts term to computerised audio. I wouldn't mind but he or she doesn't credit the author.

If you want the original listen to a portion and then Google exactly what you've heard and the article should be found.

For example, if you search in Google for:
    "selected college football's most efficient and potentially most dangerous"

Then you find that this is an article by Travis Wingfield on Miami's site:

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/dolphins-rookie-deep-dive-jaylen-waddle

But on the content itself, there are a number of guys high on Waddle, and clearly the Dolphins were as well, so I'm looking forward to see what happens this year!

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  4. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    From the piece:

"The leader in yards-per-touch for the 2020 college football season is bringing the fireworks to Miami...

...Dating back to his breakout true freshman campaign in 2018, Waddle has reeled in 21-of-26 passes that traveled 20-or-more yards through the air. He caught six-of-seven deep targets last season and scored touchdowns on half of those receptions.

Prior to an ankle injury that cost Waddle eight games (and all but the opening kickoff of a ninth), he was matching teammate and eventual Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith in the ridiculous statistics category. Waddle's 557 receiving yards were 74 yards more than Smith's four-game total through the first quarter of the Crimson Tide schedule; and he did it with 18 fewer targets. Waddle was averaging 22.3 yards per reception (compared to Smith's 12.7) and a ludicrous 19.2 yards per target (compared to Smith's 10.8).

A true four-down player, Waddle's dynamic threat extends to special teams. He averaged 19.3 yards per punt return with two career touchdowns on 38 opportunities. He also scored a kickoff return touchdown and averaged 23.8 yards on nine kick returns...

..."In talking to some teams around the league, Waddle had the fastest GPS of any receiver in the country," said NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah during a conference call last month. "Your eyes aren't deceiving you when you watch him. He's freaky fast."...

...Matt Harmon – the creator of Reception Perception – scored Waddle with an 80 percent success rate on post routes, 73.7 on takeoff routes and 87.5 percent on digs. Waddle feasted on in-breaking routes, including an 80 percent success rate on slants.

His 80.3 success rate against man coverage ranked in the 98th percentile in all of college football...

...The conflict Waddle's infusion into the offense places on opposing defense is enough to making opposing defensive coordinators sweat, especially paired with fellow speedster Fuller. Fuller is one of the game's most polished deep threats. His 20.93 yards per route run on balls thrown 20-plus yards downfield ranked second among qualifying receivers (one target per game played)...

...Creating opportunities for teammates is one way to be liked in the locker room, something with which Waddle had no issue in college.

"This is two years in a row we lost a player who was probably the most popular player on the team in terms of being a good teammate and being liked by his teammates," Alabama Head Coach Nick Saban said. "Tua (Tagovailoa) was that way last year, and Jaylen's that way this year. And you just hate it for him because they're just such great competitors and they mean so much to their team and their teammates."

Waddle's presence impacted more than just the stat sheet, scoreboard and locker room, he changed how opposing defenses operated.

"…Heading into that game, Missouri Head Coach Eli Drinkwitz and his staff thought they had a pretty good plan to slow down the Tide offense. That plan centered on keeping the ball out of the hands of Jaylen Waddle, who was coming off a 2019 season where he averaged 17 yards per catch and totaled 6 touchdowns while the focal point of opposing defenses.

I was like, 'Hey look guys, Jalen Waddle is what makes them go, alright? So we got to double Jalen and make DeVonta Smith beat us. Okay? He's kind of a nice piece out there, but man, we got to take Jaylen Waddle away.'"