1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few have necessary traits to draft, coach quarterbacks(By Michael Lombardi)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Topdawg13, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Topdawg13

Topdawg13 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indiana
    -Link-

ToddsPhins and padre31 like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "When there is a committee evaluating Qb's chances are good..."

Spot on, cmte's more or less are designed to defuse blame and magnify credit if things work out as we see with the "Parcells takes blame for Pat White pick" well so did Ireland weeks before, at the end of the day it means nothing at all, however if White had been a success Tuna and Ireland could puff up their chests with "we were visionaries".

Also think Lombardi missed what I consider the most important Qb skill, the ability to make throws that create plays that maybe were not the "proper" throw into a particular coverage that imho, is what seperates the Bollers from the Bradys and backups and starters.

That is a part of the reason why I still think Thigpen is Rich Gannon waiting to happen.

3. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    which we do not.

Hmmmm........I'm trying.. to recall.. where this looks.. familiar.

Hey!! Tap Tap Tap!! You hear that Sparano?! lol. Let the QB be who he's friggin meant to be, you knuckle head.

If the QB has the arm to force defenses to defend every blade of grass, does the same hold true for his skill players being able to threaten every blade of grass?
    (and this is why Pennington had trouble winning games against great defenses and would have never been the true savior of this team, with or without a shoulder made from a 1971 Pinto.)

I seem to recall this debate a few months ago. :shifty:

It was regurgitated during the Packer game that Brandon Marshall said he was impressed by Henne because he was usually the last person to leave the building, putting in extra film study, etc. Now if we can have a locker room without Pennington dividing the team while FGmaniac Sparano doesn't interfere with Daboll's offense and lets us take more chances with the ball, maybe Henne can grab this team by the horns, because I imagine it's not easy trying to be a leader when your coach and OC treat you as an accessory b/c they're obsessively too scared to make mistakes.

If Henne is allowed to play his game and Daboll builds a playbook around him, I will guarantee everyone right now that we'll see a different Chad out there (no, not Pennington) who has a greater command of the offense and team. If you treat someone as if they're NOT a leader and reduce their ability to contribute (wildcat plays, not allowing him to take chances, limiting his redzone opportunities, restricting him greatly during a lead), then they'll probably act that way, too. You're essentially creating a self fulfilling prophecy for the person. In the games where Henning & Sparano opened up the offense and gave Henne more responsibility and faith, he stepped up his play and seemed like a different player compared to Sparano's robot.

4. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I think that's what happened with Alex Smith...... the 49ers had room full of people deciding on the guy.
    he also missed something that no good QB can do without---- great footwork, or the natural ability to develop it..... which makes sense leaving that trait out when referencing Mallett as one of his hopefuls. :whistling:

Or how about the ability to succeed under duress so you don't become a liability every time you're pressured?