1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fialkov on our Practice Bubble Facility

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, May 7, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is interesting:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

SICK and anlgp like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

personally i'd rather have more cost of keeping it inflated than to have a tragic event happen and have to pay for medical costs. that and it avoids it in the first place.

padre31 likes this.
  3. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I bet the Cowboys will seriously think about an air supported structure now. Its tragic that someone was so seriously injured over something that could have been easily prevented by the different structure.

padre31 likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd heard that the Bubble was a solid shell of fiberglass and foam designed to defeat the hurricanes that blow throw the area, but basically it's a giant Garbage Bag held up by fans.

5. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Hindsight. Their structural system is just as relevant as a "bubble" system. Each system has their benefits and their drawbacks. A "bubble" system for example has to have air docks, and revolving doors rather than standard doors. It takes a lot of energy to not only inflate it, but keep the air at a tolerable temperature for the occupants.

The Metrodome is another example of a "bubble" and it's one of the most boring stadiums i've been too.

6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    He's wrong BTW: The strongest structure is a self supported sphere....

Just thought I would mention that :up:

7. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I just read on MSN that this same company that built the Cowboys structure had three other similar structures they built collapse in the recent past. They just weren't widely publisized because no one was injured in any of them.

8. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    all I saw was he said "safer".. didn't see any "strongest"...

9. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    As far as cost goes I read the original structure for the cowboys was a bare bones $4 million one before the 2008 roof addition. If memory serves me right the Dolphin bubble cost $8 million when it first went up.