1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final 2014 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, May 6, 2014.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Two days, last version.

1:19 - Trade with Cleveland Browns. Miami receives (1/26 & 3/71) with Cleveland Receiving (1/19).

Why? - At this point at #19 I presume Top 4 OT's (Robinson, Matthews, Lewan, and Martin) are off the board, as well as Top 4 WR's. I also believe Hickey like he stated is serious about more picks. In this scenario Miami can drop down 7 picks, with adding an additional high pick. Cleveland providing a suitable partner may feel distressed to jump back into the top 20 to draft a QB.

1/26 (from Cleveland): Ryan Shazier LB: I am not usually a fan of Ohio St. LB's in general but for some reason Shazier has changed my mind. A month ago I was on the CJ Mosley bandwagon and while I am not completely off it and wouldn't mind that pick at this spot, I think Shazier has more upside. He is an athletic freak and while he may be better suited for OLB in the mold of Lavonte David I wouldn't put past him adding bulk and manning the middle. Either way this is a significant upgrade to our LB unit.

2/50: Juwan James RT: Yes, there has been talk of James going to Miami in round 1, but again this is a guy who is strictly a RT. Teams drafting in round 1 are going to want someone with flexibility or can develop into a LT in the future. James is a "plug & play" type guy and he could come in an solidify the right side for the next decade. He also fits good value as he has been rising up draft board recently.

3/71 (from Cleveland): Trai Turner OG: Another guy who has been rising up draft boards since the close of the college season. He is young and raw but has unlimited potential. The LSU product is not a sure fire starter in year 1 but my money is that he makes it a pretty stiff competition in training camp. After 3 rounds we have addressed the most stressed upon needs of the off season.

3/81: Donte Moncrief WR: Rumor is Miami is in the market for a WR. Out of the names we have brought in I think Beckham will be gone by our #1 selection and Lee may very well be too. In round 2, OT is a need and a great value and solidifying guard with a number of WR's left on the board between picks we take a WR with our second 3rd round pick. Moncrief was brought in for a visit and while he underachieved last year he is a very good prospect at this point in the draft. Moncrief can come in and be an additional vertical threat to Mike Wallace and battle to be the 2nd WR.

4/116: Devonta Freeman RB: So far 4 of 5 picks are on the offensive side of the ball.... The league is changing boys and we need to change with it. I'm sick of mediocre offenses and ready to have a cabinet full of weapons. Freeman is my feel good pick of the draft and a local product. I thought he was just a product of the system at FSU this year but he is a impressive player and someone who can be an emotional leader for an offense. B/T that stable of RB's we shouldn't have any excuses is 2014.

5/155: Antone Excum CB/S: He is coming off an injury, and would normally go higher. He is a bigger CB like we are seeing dominate today's NFL. Although he isn't a great CB when it comes to not facing the QB, well good for us is his size is best suited for a S. That along with his ball skills he could translate to a good FS in a year, when Delmas contract comes up. Or maybe he excels in coverage as a CB and we add a guy to help with our aging starters.

6/190: Spencer Long OG: Yes, another OL, this late in the draft it wouldn't hurt to provide an insurance option. Long was the best of the OL at Nebraska when healthy and while I am not a fan of taking players off injuries we already drafted two OL ahead of him and I am all for investing in someone who could pan out in a year or two.

7/234: David Fales QB: Yes, a QB this late as I feel Fales can come in and push Devlin for the 3rd QB spot. In my mind this is sink or swim year for RT17 and Moore is entrenched as the backup so investing a mid round QB to me is pointless with better value. Fales is a smart kid and while he is doubted on physical ability I have seen QB's make more with less.

2014 Offense:

WR: Wallace, Binns
    WR: Hartline, Moncrief
    WR: Gibson, Matthews
    TE: Clay, Sims, Egnew
    RB: Moreno, Miller, Freeman
    QB: Tannehill, Moore, Fales
    LT: Albert, Garner
    LG: Turner, Thomas
    C: Pouncey, Brenner
    RG: Smith, Long
    RT: James, Fox

2014 Defense:

DE: Wake, Shelby
    DT: Odrick, Mitchell
    DT: Starks, Francis
    DE: Vernon, Jordan
    OLB: Misi, Wheeler
    MLB: Shazier, Ellerbe
    OLB: Ellerbe, Jenkins
    CB: Grimes, Davis
    CB: Taylor, Exum
    Nickel: Finnegan, Wilson
    FS: Delmas, Wilson
    SS: Jones, Thomas

K: Sturgis
    P: Fields
    KR/ PR: Moncrief

SICK, Rocky Raccoon, evz and 5 others like this.
  2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    that's a pretty damn good haul right there

in the 4th I'd rather go Andre Williams at RB, assuming Hyde and Hill are gone of course

I also think we have to go corner earlier than you did.

3. Mexphin

Mexphin Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    Ensenada, Mexico
    I like Andre Williams too

4. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Not the biggest fan of Andre Williams, lots of wear on those tires. Remember BC was predominantly a rushing team and while he had great numbers they were inflated by being the main focal point. Freeman is a superior athlete than Williams, but he was on a 3 man committee at FSU and still managed to be first 1,000 yard rusher since Warrick Dunn. I think Andrew Williams will be on the board in round 5 as well.

5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I like that A LOT :yes:

It might be a little early on Turner but Im ok with that because of the way you allocated the picks. And I love the Devonta Freeman pick. Im not a fan of the Criminoles but he or James Wilder Jr would work.

cuchulainn likes this.
  6. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That would be a great draft. I'm not sure Shazier, James, or Moncrief will be there at those spots though. If the Dolphins move back I would imagine Shazier drops out of the picture and they'll take either James or Moses at the end of the 1st.

7. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Would love it!

8. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Love it, except for Shazier pick, but screwing up in 1st round is on par with the Phins. Now if you could squeeze in Aaron Murray, instead of Exum in the 5th, i'd love it even more.

9. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Dez, I contemplated Murray in the 5th real hard, but I think some team falls for him and takes him in round 4.

Gotta ask why you view Shazier as screw up? Who would you prefer at the 26 spot?

10. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    I don't like weak linebackers with no pop or instincts, and especially not in the 1st round. IMO he is not 1st round talent regardless of combine numbers. I am not a fan of drafting on athleticism for some specific scheme, i.e. we'll have him covering and jumping and running around and he is gonna be great and make a ton of plays. That is lala land imo. He is not better than the LBers we have. I'd rather have Carlos Hyde at 19 for example than Shazier.

EverFin likes this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    We need a right tackle..

Morgan Moses is a good prospect.

Our offensive coordinator used to be his head coach, I've got to feel like this dynamic shapes the first round a bit.

If certain players are off the board and Lazor gives his recommendation on this kid, then do the trade down.

1) Moses..(Lazor and need)

2) Niklas..(continue to upgrade the run game, continue to upgrade the pass protection, however with this dude you kill three birds with one stone by giving Ryan a weapon to boot.)

3) Trai turner (might have to flip this pick with Niklas)

3) Shane Skov (gonna take a special mindset to play in this town and in that stadium)

4) Phillip Gaines (the guy is like a lizard mang)

5) De'anthony thomas (weapon for Ryan in the passing game,Thigpen replacement)

6) Jay Prosch (see reasoning for Skov)

7) Mike Sam (our fearless leader)

12. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Hm... Not sure if because he is leaner you might mistake that for weak. When it comes to Pop and Instincts this guy has plenty of him. He isn't just a guy with combine and workout hype, the dude is a player. He was named a Captain as a Junior which rarely happens at Ohio St. Reality is he is way better of a overall LB than what we have on the roster. Our LB core is a serious concern, with th eleague and offenses growing more and more athletic we need a LB who can play side line to side line. You telling me you wouldn't want a player similar to Lavonte David on our roster.

I suggest you watch the highlights again, I understand if you view someone better but the guy is a player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmT5sX7G3xk

Boik14 likes this.
  13. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012

Morgan Moses is a good prospect I agree completely. But not at #19 or in the first round in my mind, and I am not a fan of UVA OL for the most part. I view JuWan James for what we are going to play him at to be a better prospect and fit.

Nikklas you guys gotta show or tell me something cause I don't see it. Besides his size, I wouldn't touch this guy with a 10 ft pole before round 4. I would rank TE's in order for me... Ebron>ASJ>Amaro>Fedorwicz>Nikklas. He reminds me of another Fasano and he offers no explosion to our offense. If you are going to go Moses round 1 we have to draft a playmaker with our 2nd pick and he wouldn't be on my list.

Turner, agreed he is rising but if we can get him he'd be a player.

Skov if he falls for the 4th round I would not hate, just scares me quite a bit he didn't workout for a good portion of offseason and his workout times were not that impressive. Still, he is a downright nasty player and would bring an intensity to this defense.

Like the Gaines pick.

Not a huge fan of De'anthony Thomas but he would bring a return and offensive weapon to this offsense.

cuchulainn likes this.
  14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Are you kidding? Carlos Hyde? Dont even want him in the 2nd round. Thats Beanie Wells revisted with less speed and overall talent. Shazier did 25 or 26 reps at 225. He played behind a DL that did not do a great job protecting him. How is he weak? Ryan Shazier is a guy who can do everything and stay on the field every down. His stats say he can defend the pass the run and his film says he has instincts and can shed blocks.

sports24/7 likes this.
  15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If you reread my post you will see Moses after a trade down.

If your that down on Niklas it's cool, we have our different opinions on the tight ends, Prolly not gonna change your mind at this point..

Much better prospect than Fasano.

16. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Donte Moncrief will get no where near the 81st pick. He may actually go late first or early 2nd.

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That would be a nice haul. I like the trade and it's what I'm hoping happens. I think it's a possibility if one of the QBs falls. Although I don't believe Shazier and James would make it to those picks. I would have taken a Lache Seastrunk in the fourth. I think he's the closest thing in this draft to another Lesean McCoy. I would take a chance on him there in a heartbeat. I also would have preferred a MLB prospect like Skov late. He's far from a sure thing (who is late?), but I love his instincts. And Montcrief may not be available at 81, but I expect some nice WR or TE prospect will be.

18. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Yeah, I saw the trade down and trust me I don't hate it. I just like what Bitinio and James bring more than Moses, he looks sluggish.

But, what is it about Niklas that is desirable, and I'm not trying to be a d*** I truly want to know, cause I may be missing something. I mean his size and length are much needed but his workout numbers aren't that impressive and he barely had over 500 total receiving yards in two years?

19. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Ehh.... 2nd maybe no shot he goes in the 1st, not over Benjamin, Robinson, Cooks, Beckham, even Adams

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    that's fine that you like Bitonio and James, but the point is one of the three, even one of your favorite two will be there if you trade down.

zwave21 likes this.
  21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    As far as Niklas goes, I think he's a very good blocker and has pretty good receiving skills and agility, the compliment to Clay is also a plus.

22. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Yeah, I'm down w/ Niklas. Huge target at 6'6", 34" arms and ran a 4.55. Going to attract a lot of attention on 3rd down and in the red zone.

23. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    so you think

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Where did you get that 40 time?

25. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
  26. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Thank you, that 4.55 time is wrong. That was his 20 yd shuttle time. Where's that sheepish smiley?

Found a 4.84 at this site. Not sure how legit.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=21065

27. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I gasped when I saw 4.55 with that size, but no way that could be true.

4.84 sounds more legit and btw that is a slower time than Anthony Fasano clocked when coming out....

Austin Sefrian-Jenkins though at his size of 6'6" 270lbs ran a sub 4.6 40 now go get that big man, twice the player of Niklas