1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final minicamp practice over Henne was terrible...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, May 4, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Chad Henne was terrible in practice today. He struggled with his accuracy and was seemingly tired because his sideline throws had very little gas on them.

"Today, I didn't have such a great practice," Henne said afterward. "I was inconsistent with my throws."

By the way, Marcel Reece continued his struggles of the weekend, dropping at least three passes today.

link to rest of story
    http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/2008/05/final-rookie-minicamp-practice-over.html

Last edited: May 4, 2008
    brandon27, Jets81 and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  2. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Henne struggles in final day of rookie minicamp

Henne was overthrowing most of his receivers Sunday, but some of that had to do with learning 150 pages of the playbook in four days and then trying to assimilate it on the field with rookie receivers he's never thrown to before.

"I was kind of inconsistent with my throws, missed some assignments, but other than I felt pretty good, just getting my feet wet,'' Henne said. "It's tough as a quarterback you have to know what everybody is doing, know your checks, where your progressions are, your footwork. Once I get back here again I'll feel more comfortable and do better.''

link to rest of story
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-54dolphinshenne,0,6530011.story

brandon27 likes this.
  3. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    He'll be fine in time. We're lucky to have two quality young guns to battle for the job. McCown may even surprise us in this scheme too!

4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I guess the Henne crowd can calm down now.

like2god likes this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, a few things stuck out from the article:

1. Merling is not 100%, I didn't know it was groin injury.

2. Devone Bess was on punt return duty, not Jayson Foster

3. Some of the UDFA/Tryout players may be signed later.

Chad Henne comes back down to earth.

6. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA

That one caught me as well. It seems that Foster may be stashed on the PS for a year or so until he can make at least 180lbs and work on his receiving skills. With being Parcells' handpicked UDFA, I don't think he goes anywhere for at least a year or two if he doesn't end up making the 53-man squad.

I def. think Bess will see the field this year as our slot receiver, 4th at worst. He's been nothing but consistent, aware, and in excellent condition so far by all accounts. I am really pulling for him to do well.

7. SF Dolfan

SF Dolfan New Member

May 3, 2008
    Most definitely. It feels good to have 3 guys who could potentially start. I also get the feeling that it will be a real competition this year which is a nice change.

It doesn't shock me that Henne struggled today. It's going to be a lot to learn, plus he'll be adjusting to new teammates and the speed of the NFL game. Beck and McCown will be learning a new offense as well. I actually think McCown has the best shot to show consistency early in practice given his experience.

8. SF Dolfan

SF Dolfan New Member

May 3, 2008
    Bess definitely would have the inside track at a spot on the 53 man roster. He's been an outstanding WR for 3 years in Hawaii so he has a ton more experience at the position and played against better competition. He should absolutely be more polished. I like Foster's speed and quickness. He gets the edge there, but you're right-- he's going to need to get bigger. I do think both guys will get an extensive look on returns and the guy who seems like the biggest threat to line up opposite Ginn on KRs has the best shot.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

I've got to say that Bess reminds me of Mark Duper in physical build, a short stout smurfish type of Wr, I think Bess will be in the mix, but the thing of it is, Derek Hagan is bigger and faster and leaps better, if he drinks from the fountain of motivation and really shows his stuff, he will beat Bess out in TC.

10. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    He's a bust

GISH likes this.
  11. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i think bess will be in the slot for the phins come opening weekend i think he has the tools we need plus the coaches are tallking him up which is a good thing

as for henne he will learn i am happy that the phins are going in with a 3 qb competition

12. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    This is horrible news. I guess we were all wrong about him. God status removed. What a waste!!!!

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I really don't see why Henne would be tired or not totally pumped and on top of his game..with these easy practices its all about technique andd form, he should of been like a frekin ninja QB out there.

i have no pity for someone who can't suck it up and stay focused for his first EASY practices, shows weakness. Maybe his ego took a hit on draft day and hes still a little mopie about it.

14. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I don't really see what the issue is here. He is a rookie, you can expect this up and down ride until he adjusts to the speed of the NFL (workouts/practices/& games). At best I'm expecting him to compete for the 2nd string spot, but fully expect him to be the 3rd stringer going into the season. IMO the true QB competition will be between McCown and Beck for the starting job. Henne has plenty of time to improve and impress.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
    like2god likes this.
  15. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Now if Hagan could just catch the ball .... :wink2:

I wonder what the staff thinks of Camarillo, he didnt play all that poorly last year.

16. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Yeah wasn't totally inlove with the Henne pick : /

Swampfox likes this.
  17. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The sooner the Parcells-brand shiny luster on Henne wears off, the better. I don't trust Bill Parcells' ability to evaluate the quarterback position, and it's better for an actual QB competition if Henne isn't viewed as the prodigal child.

18. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Derek Hagan is big and fast and can jump. If he could only catch, he would be a damn good WR.

19. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    In spite of the Anti-Henne, Pro-Beck bias that is in this post and in others, no one is going to be judged by any "pre-packaged luster". Every player is going to be judged by how they perform.

And no trust in Parcells ability to evaluate QBs? Hmm. Thats interesting.

All he did was tutor two different QBs to win him SBs with the Giants, another to take him to a SB with NE, and even another to lead him to the AFCCG with the Jets. And Tony Romo is also a Parcells signee, and I think he's a Pro Bowl caliber QB.

In the meantime, the Dolphins have had Jay Fiedler, AJ Feeley, Sage Rosenfels, a worthless Duante Culpepper, Gus Frerotte, a worthless Trent Green, and Cleo Lemon, just to name some of the guys.

To me, the evidence overwhelmingly supports Parcells. Its not even remotely close. I am the only one?

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Henne is already being promoted by many simply because Parcells wanted him.

And promoting a fair QB competition does not equate to an anti-Henne bias. If he's good enough, he'll win. If he isn't, he won't. But I suspect the competition is already rigged such that it's not really a competition; starting a rookie Henne would be a big mistake, just as starting a rookie Beck was a big mistake. (Thanks for that one, Mr. Huizenga.)

Simms and Bledsoe are not my idea of franchise quarterbacks. Furthermore, Parcells had nothing to do with Tony Romo's development; Sean Payton pushed to draft him, then pushed to sign him as a UDFA when he went undrafted, and as such he was David Lee's project to develop. Parcells started him only when it became apparent that his guy, Bledsoe, was no longer capable of being a starting quarterback. Then Romo's performance improved noticeably when Parcells left the team.

So, no, I don't exactly agree with Bill Parcells over the attributes of the ideal quarterback. He wants a game manager; I want Dan Marino.

Wannstache is a horrible evaluator of talent, we know this. I'd take Phil Simms over Jay Fiedler no question, but that isn't saying much.
    Saban made the best decision he could; Culpepper was coming off knee surgery, while Drew Brees was coming off a 360-degree rotator cuff tear requiring 12 pins to attach his arm to his shoulder and wanted more money to boot.
    Cameron made a solid decision, because Trent was the best QB we fielded in 2007, and his presence accelerated Beck's development both in terms of acclimating to the NFL and in terms of proficiency with the Coryell system.

Regan21286 likes this.
  21. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Would be a good argument ... if not for the fact that Beck was running the scout team when Green could have done any sort of mentoring. Cam and Mueller made a horrible decision .. trading a 5th for Green and booting Culpepper. We love to hate on him, but he still outplayed anyone on our team with the Raiders.

22. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Dolphins' Henne hits the mini-camp wall

Henne said he would return home today and pick up where he left off.

"I'll take everything I wrote down in (my) notebook, go out by myself and do the pass drops and progressions," he said.

To sharpen his mind and strengthen his arm, Henne plans to recruit Jim Cantafio, his former high school coach. Cantafio worked every Monday through Thursday with Henne during his high school years.

link
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphi...olphins_0505.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

alen1 likes this.
  23. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Sounded like the worst of my fears.

24. Jets81

Jets81 Junior Member

Dec 4, 2007
    They had to to take a shot and you never know...the guy could develop into something good.

What a mess the QB situation is in the AFCE. Aside of the cheaters no team from the east has a guaranteed, legit starter. At least we both took steps to protect our unproven QB's. I'm hoping that Gholston abuses Long during the season but I'd almost sell my soul to see someone other then the Pats win the division.

Just the thought of it makes me nauseous. Or it could be the vodka. :pity:

25. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I don't quite believe Parcells is really that trustable when it comes to QB's. People spout Tony Romo but Parcells had been against him from the beginning and even brought guys like Drew Henson over to bump out Jones' fave guy. I went on about it in previous post.

26. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Again, if you look at history, BP has won alot in this league with alot of different QBs. And why not bring in other QB to compete wtih Romo? It makes sense. That is part of what makes a player good...knowing that you are always bringing in competition.

The idea that Saban and Cameron (two certified failures) get passes, but Parcells can't be trusted because he drafted Henne (a player judged by many as the second best QB in the draft) is ludicrous. BP was one of the only HCs in this league who have won with different QBs. Jimmy Johnson didn't. Bill Belichick didn't. Chuck Noll didn't. Parcells has more credibility than all of these guys and yet he gets his judgement called into question by you rank amateurs.

27. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    They weren't brought in to compete with Romo. They were brought in as an excuse to dump Romo. If Quincy Carter didn't get those substance abuse allegations and was subsequently off the team, it would've been Romo gone. Parcells won because of his inclination towards defense and power running. May have been enough in the past but doesn't always work in the current league. And one of Parcells' QB's was Ray Lucas, wanna bring him in? Indeed, if you look at his recent history, you'll see QB was a real lacking position on his teams and one reason they weren't able to go far in the playoffs.

I didn't give Saban or Cameron passes. I hated the Culpepper and Green signings. I wanted Brady Quinn over John Beck. That rank amateurs statement goes both way for you, my friend. How can we not pass judgment but you can pass on praise if we're all amateurs?

28. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    In all honesty the best thing for this football team would be for Chad Henne to end up a great quarterback. He'll be 23 years old. Beck will be 27. That's just the reality of the situation.

But, Beck is still likely to be the QB this year and when he gets a chance, never be surprised when/if John Beck runs away with it.

Dolfan13 likes this.
  29. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
  30. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    From what I recall BP also pushed for Scott Bruener over Phil Simms. I agree with the assessment that PB is more interested in game managers than game changers, he wants to control the tempo. Fortunately for this issue he's not the head coach so hopefully Sparano has the freedom to do things his way.

31. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    A Brees Rivers situation would be best, good three years with Beck, trade him, then on to Henne.

32. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Trouble with that is, Rivers is a downgrade from Brees.

33. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Bro at this point, I would KILL for that situation...downgrade or no.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  34. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'd rather be at that point, and keep the better QB. That's just my opinion. I truly believe the Chargers are in the super bowl or wins it by now, with Brees.

Desides likes this.