1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fins & Dion Jordan expected to reach deal before training camp

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Kucha, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Kucha

Kucha Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
  2. Kucha

Dec 21, 2007
    "Pass-rusher Dion Jordan, the Dolphins’ No. 3 overall pick in the NFL Draft, says he’s finalizing a contract and doesn’t expect to be a holdout."

MikeHoncho likes this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It's hard to tell what he means by that, whether he's just being optimistic or whether he will take control of the negotiations if his agent doesn't have the deal done in time.

It does appear his agent has already balked at the idea of inserting offset language into the contract, though.

If Dion Jordan intends to wrest control of the negotiation away from his agent in the next 24 hours then indeed he'll be in camp on time.

4. Kucha

Dec 21, 2007
    Really good point.

5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

The Dolphins have zero impetus to cave on the offset language now.

Dion did his agent a massive disservice by removing negotiating leverage.

On another note, you were right about Aponte and Dion's agent coming to a frosty showdown on this bull**** language, I mean offset language, again.

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Hopefully, because if he misses any camp, even when he returns he is out of contact drills for 3 days minimum.

MikeHoncho, Bpk and Alex13 like this.
  7. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    yep CK called it a long time ago..it´s stupid imo, you pick a guy 3rd overall after you traded up nine spots to get him, i would think you expect him to be here for a while and don´t be a bust

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    “It’s not finalized yet, but I’ll be there,” he promised.

Datta boy, tell your agent you don't care and you just wanna play ball you freaking maniac praying mantis avatar mother grabber.

9. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    good point

SICK likes this.
  10. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    lol

11. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Considering the odd situation of 5 preseason games this year also, I really want this kid in camp.

MikeHoncho and Bpk like this.
  12. Bpk

Exacerbated by the first game being way earlier than usual (HoF game)

SICK likes this.
  13. Bpk

I see you already thought of that, Chris.

SICK likes this.
  14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This makes me feel better about him getting in on time but at the same time...I'm still skeptical. It's possible he doesn't know any details about his own contract negotiation and he's just being optimistic, and once the agent explains the situation to him he'll allow the agent to continue to control things.

Anything could happen. I won't feel better until he signs on the dotted line.

Mainge likes this.
  15. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Sign it...get it done...Cam Wake needs his apprentice!

eltos_lightfoot and SICK like this.
  16. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    not that I disagree, but if you were the #3 overall pick, you'd also expect to be so good that the offset language shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Again, I agree that it's silly, but I can see both sides.

17. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    With the Sith...."Always two there are."

18. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Can't wait to watch that monster rip Tom Bradys vagina off.

SICK, Larry Little and Berezo like this.
  19. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

IDK, I don't think it's so stupid. The language is there to protect the team, to a certain degree. Unless he's a colossal bust (see VY or Vernon Gholston), the team has some recourse, as usually, some team will bite on these guys that wash out of one place... If the guy is a stud, then there is no issue either...but carrying dead money on a guy you cut is a 'hidden' pitfall for the fiscal health of NFL teams...

20. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    It's hanging so low these days, it looks like he's wearing pink bunny slippers.

Mcduffie81 likes this.
  21. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The offset language has nothing to do with "dead money". Dead money is there for almost all released players.

The offset language simply says, "if you get cut before your rookie contract is up, any new contract you sign offsets what we owed you anyway in guaranteed money."

So, for example, let's say Jordan receives $20 million guaranteed as part of his contract with the Fins. Then he is cut 3 years later having received $15 of the $20 million guaranteed dolalrs. Jordan then signs with another team and gets $4 million guaranteed. With the offset language the Fins would only owe him $1 million cash. Has nothing to do with the cap. The cap figure has already been accounted for.

SICK, ckparrothead, GMJohnson and 2 others like this.
  22. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY

The Rule of Two states that there would be only two Sith at one time, a Master and an Apprentice. Im the master. but the kracken is a student of the game he will be top dog soon.

23. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Excellent example. And if he signs with another team, not working out for Miami or whatever, for only 1 million, or vet minimum, Miami pays the 4 million to him or whatever it would be that would add up to what he signed for. The only way he would "lose" money is if he signs with another team for, in that example, 15 million. WOW big check. And he wouldn't get the 5 million from the Miami deal.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Wait a second here..on the NFL network ticker it says and I quote, Dion Jordan says he "will not hold out and miss training camp even though he's unsigned"

Is that new???

I love this fu&$in kid if true..lol..please be one of those dudes that just wants to be a great football player without the limelight.

25. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's from earlier today from the Miami Herald article.

26. Larryfinfan

However, it does affect the cap as whatever we would have to pay him after cutting him DOES count against the cap for that year,...

27. Larryfinfan

as I said, any salary we would have to pay him, after we cut him counts against the cap. That makes it a significant issue...

toto likes this.
  28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Well then the quote their saying he said is different than what we heard today..ticker says, "Jordan says he will not hold out, even if unsigned" end quote.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    "It’s not finalized yet, but I’ll be there,” he promised"

Lets see if this kid means what he says..I hope he does it without being signed,lol...

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    What's weird about the quote on the network is that he's not allowed to show up.

31. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Relax.....

SICK likes this.
  32. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Re: Fins & Dion Jordan expected to reach deal before training camp

Whoa. Keep it in your pants there, champ.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

Deep breath..

WhiteIbanez likes this.
  34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Someone call Tim Graham, he'll know what to do.

SICK likes this.
  35. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    Good points.

36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The thing that doesn't get enough attention with the offset issue is the fact that the player's new team would likely only offer the player the veteran's minimum, and the player would not seek more than that because it literally will not affect his bottom line, and if anything the player would probably PREFER to have the team that just cut him get stuck with the bill.

It's a lot like the amnesty situation in the NBA. People that cover the NBA get it. They understand. When you amnesty a player you are still paying out the rest of his guaranteed contract. That player will in turn not seek much money from their new team, because they're being paid by their old team.

Except in that situation I don't think there are offsets, so it'll be even more pronounced in the NFL. You cut a player still owing him about $3 million in guaranteed salary, unless his market value is MORE than $3 million (and if that's the case, why did you cut him?) then whichever team grabs him is guaranteed to offer the veterans minimum and the player has zero incentive to ask more. Zero. In fact as I said he is incentivized to do the opposite because he will want to stick it to his old team...or make himself cheaper for his new team as a measure of good faith.

So teams aren't fighting about $3 million in the fourth year should they end up having to cut the guy. No no no. That would actually be semi-reasonable. Teams are fighting about like $400-500k in that fourth year. That's it.

That's it.

And you can say, well yeah but that goes for the player too. It should not be a big deal for the player eiither. Maybe so. But the logistics of the situation ensure that it is MORE important to the player than the team. In the event of busthood, a player will have made over the course of his career $15 to $20 million. That's lifetime earnings. Given that, compare the worth of $400-500k to that player, versus the worth of $400-500k to a team that has payroll in excess of $125 million EVERY YEAR.

If the player gets a contract without offset language, he's almost guaranteed to be kept through the full four years of the contract. That's a good thing. There's a stigma associated with a team cutting you Because they don't view you to be worth the money. It's not as attractive a look as when you just have an expiring contract. But if you're SO BAD that the team would cut you because they want the roster spot, even knowing you'recollecting $3+ million from them for services you're no longer able to render because you've been cut...that player probably wont get much money from his next team. We are talking vet's minimum, maybe a little more.

But like I said, a dollar to a player is worth way more than a dollar to a team. And then there's the fact that the lack of offset language likely means the dismissal never happens, which is a good thing. This whole situation is set up so players have more incentive to dig in than teams, and the only thing keeping the teams interested in doing this is pressure from the top of the league, and a competitive will to ALWAYS come out ahead. It's the one thing left to fight about now that the new CBA enacted a rookie wage scale. So every team wants to walk into the room feeling like they've got the biggest dick because they owned that one remaining battle and the other teams around them didn't. That's all it boils down to.

Desides likes this.
  37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    What if the team plans to only play hardball for 4 days after camp? Do those 4 days really and truly mean more than the offset language?