1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fins hire Al Saunders as consultant

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Zach13, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Zach13

Zach13 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/07/report-al-saunders-joining-dolphins-as-consultant/

"When Saunders was the offensive coordinator of the Redskins under Joe Gibbs in 2006 and 2007, Lazor was the team’s quarterbacks coach. The Dolphins hope that reuniting the two and tapping into Saunders’s vast experience can light a fire under an offense that ranks 30th in the league in points scored after the first four weeks of the season."

I guess this means Lazor might be staying

77FinFan likes this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that Lazor finishes out the season and is then fired along with everyone else left by whoever our new HC is at that point.

firedan and Bpk like this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I dunno.

Maybe Lazor is on the way out and O'Keefe will be the new OC. That's why they didn't mention O'Keefe's new position and why they brought in Saunders to consult.

It may also indicate that Campbell started sorting out the offense stuff first since that's more his wheelhouse.

I am guessing at all this.

Bpk likes this.
  4. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Hm, if I thought changing out OC/DC in the middle of the season would be beneficial too us I'd be all over it. In my opinion they may as well ride out the season, at least with Lazor, and make sure Campbell lets him know how he wants the offensive scheme to look, and make sure Lazor knows Campbell will be over-seeing him. If Lazor isn't good with all that then he's being an insubordinate and must go. But if he listens. I don't think we need to butcher all the chickens in an ongoing season. Getting Philbin out was a big victory for us.

Finster likes this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If it makes sense to change the HC midseason (and it did) then it also makes sense to change coordinators mid season. If not, then the coordinators are more important than the HC.

6. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Disagree. The Coordinators only had free reign to run their moronic systems thanks the Phibum being spineless and clueless. If Campbell puts them on a tight leash it would be ok.

But since we don't know anything, the best thing is for Campbell to sit down and start a dialogue with these coaches and see if they are willing to work with him the way he wants it to work.

I think if these guys want to have any hope at finding work in the NFL or football again, they should be on their best behavior. Certainly they know the microscope is on them.

Finster likes this.
  7. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    My view is that Lazor has potential that was stagnated by Philbin. Lazor has lacked a mentor to help fix the I experienced mistakes. I am curious to see the results.

8. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    dolphins are reaching

The inconsistency of the offense during the 2005 season resulted in Gibbs hiring offensive coordinator Al Saunders as the Associate Head Coach – Offense. Saunders came from a similar background as Gibbs through being mentored under Don Coryell and was thought to be able to make the offense become more efficient. Saunders would serve as the primary playcaller. Because of this, it was believed that Gibbs would have the role of Head Coach/CEO with the Redskins in 2006 and would largely deal with personnel matters, as well as having more time to focus on special teams and defense, while Saunders would supplement Gibbs with the offense. Gibbs also added former Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray to his staff as Secondary/Cornerbacks Coach. Gibbs did lose quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave to the Atlanta Falcons over the summer of 2006.

Washington 2004 - 2005 6-10
    Washington 2005 - 2006 5-11
    Washington 2006 - 2007 9-7
    Washington 2008 - 2009 8-8
    Washington 2009 - 2010 4-12

I personally cant wait

During the 2004-2005 season Lazor was an assistant coach under Gibbs - Primarily responsible for ---------The Offense. It was believed it was too much for Lazor and the next year he was moved to QB Coach

Kud_II likes this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Then as I said, you're making it out that HCs are less important to a team as they can be replaced while coordinators can't be.

10. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Aren't they always? :cry:

I also agree with people's sentiment on saying Tannebaum was a bad hire. He destroyed the Jests. Why does Miami consistently hire bad coaches/staff and expect better results?

Finster likes this.
  11. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    It is plausible that Saunders and Lazor can work together to improve the offense. Saunders plays the mentor role that Campbell does not have the experience to play. Campbell clearly states the mentality he wants to see from his offense. It has a chance of working. I still do not see how the defensive side of the ball will be improved.

12. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    I get what your point is. I just don't see it that way sorry. If the boss of your company is f'ing up, who do you fire? Think of the HC as the boss of the company. Think of him as the captain of a ship.

I'm obviously not saying Lazor/Coyle dumb & dumber have much chance if any at staying at the end of the season. And if the team truly refuses to play for them even under Campbell, then the team is just a bunch of pansies and we need to completely rebuild.

13. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Not sure why they do that. Frustrating. I found the info on Lazor when he was in the running of us hiring him. I posted it and Very few cared. It was a change and people were excited for it so they looked at what was positive, unfortunately now people are realizing the negative stuff is what we should have been paying attention to. I also questioned hiring Tannenbaum. All i knew was he put them in cap hell in New York with his all in mentality.

I will predict now that Miami will have a hard time filling the head coach role. It will primarily be several reasons. The biggest being we are ****ed with the cap for the next 4 or 5 years. Thank you Mike Tannenbaum.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Of course you fire the boss if he's effing up.

But how are the coordinators not effing up on this team as well? How are they doing a good job?

They aren't, but you're saying in spite of the fact that they are doing poorly they can't be fired.

15. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    There is zero chance Saunders does anything. Been there and done that in Washington

16. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    No sir. I'm just saying I don't know if it's the best idea to butcher the whole coaching staff without having knowledgeable replacements at this time, if we want the team to have a better chance at turning it around this year..

17. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Zero chance is absolute certainty. I do not care how much history you have on a situation. Zero chance does not exist. I will accept you believe it is highly unlikely. I will wait to see the effect of the change.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  18. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Interesting, wonder if this means more of a traditional power based blocking scheme?

It makes -0- sense to have Dallas Thomas playing (if at all) in a scheme that relies on movement and not power, to me that would solve a bunch of blocking issues.

Pandarilla likes this.
  19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Right, you're saying that the HC, OC & DC have been incompetent, so its ok to fire the HC but it would hurt the team to fire the OC & DC.

Im honestly not trying to break your balls, but on what planet does that NOT say the OC & DC are more important than the HC?

20. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    'Consultant' is a very broad term. Has anything been specified about his role? He could be being brought in at the higher levels to help Tannenbaum or Ross evaluate the offense overall in planning ahead, or he could be being brought in as a resource for Campbell to draw upon as and when, or it could be just one more cook being brought in to spoil the broth.

The bottom line here is that none of us have any idea exactly what's going on. From my perspective the Dolphins just got hugely experimental and should treat it that way, better to clean out as much as possible, and start from a clean position than continue to mix things up. Worse case scenario in terms of performance is that we continue to lose - and if that happens, we get a higher draft pick - silver lining! So why not use this season as a chance to really evaluate what you've got, give the players the motivation to prove themselves because changes are coming and they'll only want the best. Make it competitive.

Pandarilla likes this.
  21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    They might be, depending on the HC. IMO they are at least as important and usually more. Even Shula became a pretty average coach after he lost Arnsparger. Some of my reasons for optimism this preseason was the belief that Philbin would get out of Lazor's way and we'd see the run heavy offense he favored in VA and what Philly's offense is supposed to be like. I hoped Philbin would be an administrator b/c as a coach I saw lots of potential for him to become a negative factor. I also thought Coyle would be smart enough to not torpedo the talent we had on D. I clearly underestimated the stubbornness of Philbin and Coyle.

22. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    I'm not saying it makes sense, or that it is fair. I'm only considering what's best for the team in present time. I don't want the team the make any hastey decisions we still have a whole bye week to straighten it out and maybe have a small chance to save the season.

I understand that your saying it sends a bad message to fire one head of a three headed dragon. But we also have to remember Lazor/Coyle, as bad as they may have been were working under Philbin. Directly. He should have been correcting them(Coyle)... years ago and he should have straightened out Lazor this year and took over the play calling. The HC has the reigns, on his coaches, and his players. That's why having a good HC is so dang important. He molds not only the team but the rest of his staff.

23. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    Management tends to defy logic.

24. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    They announced he is the senior offensive assistant... Not sure what that means, i know ross has made up titles before.

25. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Two things on this: It tells me that Dan Campbell is not comfortable handling play calling duties or scheming an offense, which bodes well for Lazor, short term, as I do believe that this move was most likely made after consulting Bill as to what, or who, he would need to be more successful. Dan's role will be to facilitate the mentality, attitude and preparation of the team for games. Which is what we are already seeing in practice with the use of Oklahoma drills, etc.

Reports are that we have reached out to Schiano, Mike Smith, and Jim Schwartz on the defensive side. Coyle is FAR from safe. Personally, I think he should have fired him immediately, named a new DC from the staff and look at one of those aforementioned guys to be a Defensive Consultant similar to Al's role on offense, but I am sure Dan has his reasons. I would tend to shy away from Mike Smith though as the biggest knock on him in Atlanta, was that his teams were soft and ultimately, "played too nice." That seems to be a direct opposite approach of what Dan wants.

Colmax, khat and 77FinFan like this.
  26. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    So now we're back to the Cam Cameron Air Coryell offense. That worked out well last time.

And all the other teams who've run it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

27. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Hmm I wonder if there will be a "senior defensive assistant" brought in for Coyle. Lol..

28. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think there's a lot of correlation between the offensive trees and their success. They've all blended together and there's basically no inherent difference besides terminology.

29. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Cam Cameron's offense wasn't the issue in 2007, the issue was talent level.

The offense averaged 23 points per game up to Week 7 against the Patriots, after Week 7 the offense tanked. Ronnie Brown was done for the season since he injured his knee on Week 7 during an interception return I think. And the offense was centered around him.

And that was 23 points per game with some of the worst talent assembled in NFL history.

Then we had Cleo Lemon and John Beck in and you know the rest of the story of that season past Week 7, could barely score 13 points a game, scored 0 in a 3-0 loss against the Steelers I remember.

Air Coryell's offense is proven and successful. So not sure what the hate is about it. If Cameron was on this team I bet you he can do better than Philbin, the talent level on this team far surpasses anything Cameron had to work with by country wide miles.

Phins_Fan_87 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  30. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

John Beck...wow.

31. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I mentioned this in Club Level, but it's worth noting that there are serious Hue Jackson connections building in Miami.

Mike Tannenbaum was his agent before he was hired for the Dolphins- He still is represented by Priority Sports & Entertainment I believe. I think it is a virtual certainty that Miami will interview him, and I don't think it's likely a sham on either side.

Al Saunders and Hue Jackson are extremely close as well. They've worked with each other extensively over the years. Jackson basically begged the Bengals to hire him in some capacity, and he worked as what appeared to be an off-season consultant with the Bengals wide receivers. Al Saunders coming here as a consultant means that the likely future interview will have Jackson extraordinarily well-versed in what the issues are in Miami and what has gone on this season.

Colmax likes this.
  32. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    The problem with Air Coryell offenses is if they are successful in passing the ball and scoring quickly, the defense gets tired out. See those Kansas City Chief teams of most of the 2000s as an example.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Jackson is an acceptable fallback candidate to me. He's smart, he's briefly been a HC, and his specialty is getting points out of the passing game, and he's only 49. We could do much worse. However, I'm hoping that we have a chance to set the bar a bit higher.

EDIT: I was wrong in thinking that Jackson is passing minded. His last four seasons in Oakland and Cincy, his running games ranked 7, 2, 6, 7 in yards, and 2, 7, 2, 2 in TDs.

34. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Not really. You diagnose the problem, if it's the HC, you change him. If it's a coordinator that you think is the problem, you change them. But rare to change both at the same time you might as well just forfeit the games. In this case we were close to changing HC and DC. But DC probably kept on, because that's just too much change.

35. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Not what I'm arguing.

I'm not saying in general if you fire the HC you should fire the DC & OC. I'm saying you have 3 guys here who were not doing what they were supposed to the HC, DC & OC.

In that specific scenario, if its ok to fire the HC mid season, then it should be ok to fire the OC & DC as well....else one is saying they are more important than the HC. Then, if that is what one is saying, then it would probably be better to have fired the OC & DC then the HC, since they are more important.

36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Anything is better than what this dude has been putting out there on tape..Lazor that is..terrible playcaller, no clue as to how to use the qb...I think we've seen enough evidence of that where it shouldn't just be a minority opinion

37. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    It all hinges on progress... We'll see.

Sceeto likes this.
  38. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Lazor has been terrible.

39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It does. We don't really know how much of the troubles with the play calling were due to Philbin. Obviously, the guard situation isn't likely to get much better, but you have to think that the coaches could come up with a better solution to give RT some time than they have thus far. If that happens, and we start playing the right WRs, things should improve. We all saw that we're capable of more just last season.

40. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    Perhaps you can show us all the times it has happened before, where all 3 have been fired midseason.