1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fins QB battle heating up, Roth impressing, other notes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald has the best thing going down here in terms of a local sports/Dolphins column- I can't think of a close second when it comes to quality Dolphin news:

http://www.miamiherald.com/1262/story/610812.html

• Quarterback: Though Josh McCown is considered by many to be the front-runner because of experience, the Dolphins have told NFL people the battle remains competitive with John Beck, and preseason performance will determine the winner. Several players thought McCown was better in May/June drills, but another starter favored Beck. Chad Henne remains an underdog, though nobody would be shocked if he was starting at some point this season.

ESPN.com stats guru K.C. Joyner tells us McCown made bad decisions (Joyner includes turnovers and near interceptions) on 4.4 percent of passing plays last season -- 40th worst among 43 quarterbacks ranked. (Beck lacked enough attempts to qualify.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  2. Jackson

Jackson Bruce Banner

Mar 24, 2008
    Connecticut/Florida
    Thanks for the post. Good read

3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thanks for the great info. Good news about Roth. I had a bit of a suspicion he may get cut this year. Nice to hear they have a plan for him and are impressed by him though. He needs a good year after last year's disappointing season

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Great read, thanks for the info!

Glad to see Roth is stepping it up. I thought he would be one of the guys on the cut list but thats out the window now.

Jason Allen stepping his game up as well. Getting consistent 1st team practice is great to hear. Hopefully he keeps it up.

I think we will see Beck start the season.

One other thing I was very happy to see was Andre' Goodman. He's a good player and have always been a fan of his game. I hope he stays healthy and provides good play for us.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I think you read that note wrong. They absolutely messed with his throwing motion. It was a lot lower and they raised it. His talking about the way it was in college is a reference to the fact that he use to have a higher throwing motion in college before he hurt his shoulder, and then the delivery got low and stayed low. David Lee and John Beck spent 8,000+ throws this off season bringing his release point a lot higher and now it looks normal, like it did in college before he hurt his shoulder.

6. Irish Phin Fan

Irish Phin Fan New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    That was a good read. Thanks man.

7. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    i like hearing good things about Roth. i dont want to see him fade into the night. we need all the help we can get.

8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Good point, sounds like I got it wrong. I like the fact that he's gotten back to his original motion- I had forgotten about the injury and subsequent motion change.

9. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    one of John's last interviews went into the release change in more detail.. it might be this one but my audio is broke so I cannot check.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/theater/dolphinstheater_playerinterviews.asp

6/6/08 - John Beck 56k 300k,

10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I'll check it out, thanks. Everytime I throw a football I tap it with my non throwing hand as the motion begins. I think that I would have a hard time training myself to throw without tapping the ball, it wouldn't feel natural. That's the kind of stuff that I think about when I hear of Beck's change to his throwing motion. As long as it feels natural to him, I'm ok with it.

11. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    I think the key here is that he was "returned" to his natural throwing motion. Because of rotator cuff injuries his release point dropped to compensate, when he healed, the motion stayed at the lower point. They just worked that out.. or up, by coaching and a TON of throws this offseason. Beck says it is now where it was, and it feels natural again.. BUT, we will see when the shooting starts.. :up:

njfinfan likes this.
  12. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Exactly. I like the sound of "returned to his natural throwing motion". I knew that he was working on the delivery change, what I whiffed on was the injury in college and the fact that he was going back to his original delivery.

It's good to see familiar names on this site, I hope that everyone is doing well.

jason8er likes this.
  13. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
  14. cnc66

Nov 23, 2007
    I think it is Jim, we have an excellent core group here and it will enrichen as the season gets closer. You are now part of that so thanks! :hi5:

15. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Thank you- it's my turn to buy you a beer!

cnc66 likes this.
  16. Crunkcore

Crunkcore The Crunk One

Jun 17, 2008
    Good stuff.

17. HugeFinFan

HugeFinFan Woopsy Daisy!

Mar 22, 2008
    NY
    Great to hear Matt Roth is impressing.