1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fins: Some credit to Saban

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jun 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Saban did gwt the Brown pick right. I have always thought Saban did a decent job here with the exception of having no answer at quarterback, actually. The defense was pretty good.

His biggest problem started when Linehan jumped ship after only one year, leading to Mularkey and upsetting our continuity. His drafts weren't great, but weren't terrible either. then, Cam came in and, again, different systems, different personnel, and a bad, bad coaching job got the "least' out of our players and club.

His other crime was not working well with GM Randy Mueller. If they had worked well together, better things might have come of it.

Of course, Cam and Randy did work well together and I have to say, they drafted well too.

The key thing here is:

1) Lack of Stability/Continuity.

2) Lack of Unity between Front Office and Head Coach.

Hopefully, this regime corrects both of those.

Bpk

Disnardo, phinfanuk, Boik14 and 2 others like this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree, good post. Was a fan of Saban when he was here but after he gave us that BS about 'bama and so on, I have hated him.

Bpk and calphin like this.
  3. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    the best guy in that top 5 might turn out to be Braylon Edwards, might be Ronnie Brown. I'd say Braylon is looking good at the moment.

Bpk and calphin like this.
  4. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ

Good point, IF Ronnie didn't get hurt last yr i think we all would agree that Ronnie is the best pick....

5. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Yes, Ronnie Brown as it stands was the ONLY thing he got right

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah I agree. If Braylon goes out and puts up 1200 annually and Ronnie is dinged up then you could give it to him. The thing is the supporting casts. Last year, Ronnie put up very good numbers (prior to his injury) on a poor team that had no QB, some blocking if you can call it that where Braylon had a good QB, good RB and a VERY good O-line. Again, its not going to hurt Braylon's vote in this draft as top player but you have to factor that in. JMO.

gafinfan, FinSane and ATVZ400 like this.
  7. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    The thing you have to take into account here is need. I think there was a bigger needs for the Dolphins at RB than WR during that draft.

alen1 likes this.
  8. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    thats an understatment. We 100% had to go RB with our 1st pick.. Remember the year before: Lamar gordon, Leanard Henry, Travis Minor, Sammy Morris, Brock Forsey. Thats all anyone should have to say

9. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Ronnie Brown, hybrid defense, Culpepper decision (you do NOT pay more money to a guy who just suffered a 360 degree rotator cuff tear), possibly Jason Allen, desire for a high-scoring offense, Scott Linehan, practice bubble.

Boik14 and pocoloco like this.
  10. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    The only thing I'll give Satan is that he's a first-class jerk. Even if he got a pick right, doesn't mean anything. Just dumb luck on his part. I can stand a lot of things, but not a liar or a cheater (belicheat) :angry:
    And that's my opinion for what it's worth.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He may not be still coaching despite those acquisitions. He had love for the game of college football and it proved itself when he was announced as one of the candidates for the Bama job.

12. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    IMO, if he's such a good coach, he should be able to utilize all of his so called talent to be a decent man and coach.
    He won't be in AL long either, if he keeps losing to Auburn.
    I'm sorry, he's just dispicable to me.

Marino1983 likes this.
  13. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    IMO Saban was as overmatched as Cameron. At least Cam didnt quit.

He got a few things right, but hell your average poster here could have done that. Fact is that he was (and is) obviously a classic college coach who cant hack it in the big league. End of story. I dont know if he left us that worse off, but he didnt do much to make us better. If it wasnt for having the worst coach in history ahead of him, we would not be remembering Saban in anywhere near the crappy light some of you are trying to put him in.

Good riddance. I was never happy to have him here, and was happy to see him go.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The thing is that everybody hates losing and to be successful in this league, you need to learn to build your squad to avoid that.

15. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I agree with you, to a point. I know being a good person doesn't always make a good coach. But, treating your team like their dogs is just not right, no matter how you look at it. I feel he has the "little man syndrome" if I don't look good, I'll make you look worse. That's where I have a problem with egotists. Know, that I'm not hating him, I just don't like his actions, comments and the way he treats every one.

16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Cameron wasn't overmatched. Cameron wasn't given the authority to do his job, then Huizenga went and hired Parcells during the season, thus undermining what little authority Cameron had left.

I blame 2007 on Huizenga, then the defense (Capers included), then special teams (Keith Armstrong included), then the Chambers trade, then Cameron.

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Why do we pan Cameron for leaving Booker out half the season, but don't say a word when Sparano and Henning don't want him in the offense and get Ireland to trade him?

18. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    desides, are you pro-cameron? are you pissed he was axed? just wondering

19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I've been pro-Cameron since week 3 2007.

20. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    I agree, you dont pay more money to that guy BUT obviously Saban made the wrong decision there as Brees is a top teir QB even after his injury and Culpepper, well culpepper is currently out of a job.

Every coach that has come through has a desire for a high scoring offense. that doesnt make Saban a better coach.

He cant be credited for Jason Allen until Allen performs, and if he builds off his 2007 campaign I will credit Saban for that pick.

Sparano gets credit for the Hybrid defense presently. I will credit Saban for our defense in 2005, 2006, not 2008 regardless if the 2008 D is hybrid or not.

If one of an ex coaches biggest claims to fame is an offensive coordinator who is not currently on the team and is failing as a head coach, and a practice bubble, id say its a good thing that guy is gone.

Regardless of how you spin it, there were more negative aspects of Sabans tenute here than positive. What good was everything he did in 2005,2006 if it is not helping the team now (ie, the VAST majority of his picks are gone). also, what good was anything he did if we didnt make it into the playoffs with him at the helm. He was a failure as a head coach

21. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I liked Cam too. He got shafted. He had no fo or any one backing him. He was just thrown to the wolves.
    Look at all the support Sparano is getting. There's a world of difference.

phinfanuk likes this.
  22. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I reject using hindsight to judge the decision. If you're the head coach of any team and you have a choice between a quarterback with a bad knee and a quarterback whose arm literally had to be reattached, you're going with the former over the latter 100 out of 100 times.

I highly question the desires of Jimmuh, Wannstache, and Sparano to feature a high-scoring offense.

Where were you last year? When Allen saw time, he played well. He's being kept at safety where he belongs right now, and if Bell is truly healthy, we're going to have a great safety tandem.

How? We stopped running the hybrid when Capers took over. Pasqualoni and Sparano are implemented Parcells' 2-gap 3-4, not Saban's hybrid. We passed on Glenn Dorsey for this very reason.

The point of the bubble was to be able to hold full practices during truly inclement weather. For years our practices would sometimes get cut short or canceled because it was unsafe to be outside. So, yes, Saban gets credit for going to lengths to get the team prepared.

When did I ever say otherwise?

23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Cameron had good reason to keep Booker out. At first, he missed time in training camp; then injuries rippled through the offense, forcing Cameron to continually try to re-establish the run and the pass with new guys almost every week. You don't put a rookie scatback out there in those conditions unless you're trying to lose.

24. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    and we are far better off

Boik14 likes this.
  25. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I never said we weren't. I just think he was treated un-fairly here. I hope he does good at his new job.

26. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    im sure he'll be ok as an OC again

dolphindebby likes this.
  27. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I never got on the Saban hating bandwagon. Yes I was very disappointed he jumped ship. But I can't blame him for denying with 3 or 4 weeks left in the regular season, that he was NOT leaving or quiting for bama. i wouldnt want to get hounded by the media day and night about that, and answer what "yeah probably"? id rather the media hate me then my players or peers. everyone in the media calls him this "dirty liar", but jeez, they're totally the ones who cornered him into that position. He finished the season like a pro. and still told huizenga, "if you want me to stay, i'll stay". his heart wasn't into it, and if he didn't want to be here in Miami coaching, and coaching in the pros, then I certainly don't want him here. but this was still the same guy who blew off the President of the United States, because we were in training camp, and the team came first.

he did his best, left the franchise in better position than he found it in, and next to bobby petrino, is friggin abraham lincoln. for the chaos the media created, and the lynching they attempted to lay on him, i cant blame him for skipping town and just trying to make a clean break. notice how huizenga and none of the players(to my knowledge) were "mad" or "lost respect" for him. except for maybe manny wright.

alen1 likes this.
  28. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Cameron was a hack. I cannot believe anyone would defend a guy who had no business being a head coach in the first place He couldnt even run a freakin training camp. He brought it on himself and thats where it started, it continued with poor game management, poor communication with players, poor gameplanning, etc. With anyone else i would never have cheered for my own team to lose even when we started 0-8 but I knew that was the only way Huizenga would get the idea. Not only am I satisfied with what came of it but now he is someone elses problem. Cam Cameron is our Rich Kotite and thats the BEST I can say about him.

Bpk, fins4o8 and finfansince72 like this.
  29. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey

padre31 likes this.
  30. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Have to wonder if we would have taken Alex Smith had the 9ers passed on him, that would have been a disaster. Also in regards to the Culpepper decision, I thought that Saban wanted Brees but the medical staff gave Brees the thumbs down?
    Thankfully we fired Cam, that hiring was a disaster from the 1st day. The entire organization is stable now and we have the coaching staff we need. I like where we are headed, if this was year 2 into Cam's tenure I would have no confidence that we could win more than 2 or 3 games under him, he was that bad of a head coach.

31. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    After about two defensive series, yeah.

Misusing the bubble does not mean the bubble is somehow bad.

32. THCMAN

THCMAN New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Miami
    He was pathetic. He didn't only lack the killer instinct, he coached like he was a vegetarian. :shifty:

As for Saban, we almost went to the playoffs with him. It wasn't his fault that McMichael fumbled away a pair of games, and Chambers was lolly-gagging 25% of the time he was on the field.

I always found it very interesting how Parcells told his buddy in New Orleans to pick Brees and stay away from Culpepper.

Bpk, fins4o8, padre31 and 1 other person like this.
  33. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Imagine if Saban took Braylon Edwards - Henne/Edwards reunion?

The fact is, Ronnie is a fin and even though i liked Edwards coming out of Michigan I wouldn't look back. What do you guys think?

34. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The team ran a 4-3 over/under or 3-4 when it could, and when he was pretty much out of Ends/DTs to run that system(Mid-season), it went predominantly to a regular 4-3.

I dont understand why people seem to think Capers voluntarily basically threw out any and every aspect of "his" defensive system.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
    dolpns13 likes this.
  35. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    That was the docs' call, Saban wasnta doctor but I bet you he thinks he can perform heart surgery.

I didnt like that move either, at the very least they could have stuck him in the Slot.

36. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    dude, what is that guy wrestling? looks like a baby hippo headed eel.

37. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    No QB was our biggest ? and had been since Marino retired. Yes, we were extremely thin at RB that year, but that doesnt mean it shouldve been our first pick, we couldve grabbed one later that wouldve had the same value as Brown, Benson or Williams. But, we have Brown, hes shown that hes a solid back that has injury issues, so, whats done is done.

38. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ronnie will redeem his pick, I'm confident of that much I "think" Rickey will re-establish our running game and about Early November we will see Ronnie doing a good Marion Barber impersonation.

What good would have Edwards done for Miami? We haven't had an even mediocre QB since Gus Frerotte, who would be throwing him the ball?

As for Lil Nicky Saban...the guy was Wannstache II in the draft, his guys are not panning out as of yet, we never made the playoffs, and we had 1 winning season when he was here...

Talk about lowered expectations.

No great loss.

FinSane likes this.
  39. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Big ol Catfish. That's what is called noodling or redneck fishin.:up:

Themole and Sethdaddy8 like this.